Good runners watch for my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by James Varty, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. James Varty

    James Varty Guest

    My girlfriends' birthday is coming up and I thought I'd buy her a watch for
    running. She's in a running club and goes road running 4 times a week,
    approx 5 - 8 miles each time. I think she'd specifically like a hear rate
    monitor on it, but I guess other running specific functions would be useful.
    Just wondered if anyone had any tips on what would be a good one to get her?

    Cheers

    James

    Tags:

  2. Ylan Segal

    Ylan Segal Guest

    James Varty wrote:
    > My girlfriends' birthday is coming up and I thought I'd buy her a watch for
    > running. She's in a running club and goes road running 4 times a week,
    > approx 5 - 8 miles each time. I think she'd specifically like a hear rate
    > monitor on it, but I guess other running specific functions would be useful.
    > Just wondered if anyone had any tips on what would be a good one to get her?

    What is your price range? Does she currently own a heart rate monitor?
    This might help the group narrow your options down.

    I use a Polar RS200 w/footpod that tells time, speed, distance and heart
    rate and I like it (even though I recently had some trouble with its
    distance accuracy).

    --
    Ylan

    "The universe is not required to be in
    perfect harmony with human ambition"
    ~ Carl Sagan

  3. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:14:50 +0000 (UTC), "James Varty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My girlfriends' birthday is coming up and I thought I'd buy her a watch for
    >running. She's in a running club and goes road running 4 times a week,
    >approx 5 - 8 miles each time. I think she'd specifically like a hear rate
    >monitor on it, but I guess other running specific functions would be useful.
    >Just wondered if anyone had any tips on what would be a good one to get her?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >James

    James,
    She uses that watch to time her orgasms, as I ram my 14"er up her hot
    little puss. Please do get her a heartrate monitor, we'll see how high
    her rate goes when I sink in all 14"s, and her new watch to time our
    time in the bushes while she's pretending to be running.

  4. Dot

    Dot Guest

    James Varty wrote:
    > My girlfriends' birthday is coming up and I thought I'd buy her a watch for
    > running. She's in a running club and goes road running 4 times a week,
    > approx 5 - 8 miles each time. I think she'd specifically like a hear rate
    > monitor on it, but I guess other running specific functions would be useful.
    > Just wondered if anyone had any tips on what would be a good one to get her?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > James

    In addition to Ylan's questions, what type of features has she commented
    on that she'd like or not like - or hasn't she given any hints yet? It
    would be good to get her a watch with features that she really wants -
    rather than what a group of strangers thinks is cool.;) Some folks like
    basic, some like geeky.

    A couple basic features (besides cost) can help narrow the field - size
    of watch (wear it just while running or all day), heart rate monitor
    (hrm) (sounds like she may have suggested this already), downloadable to
    computer, distance estimates, barometric altimeter (elevation change
    profile), readily accessible lap button. How many hr zones can be set.
    Ability to hold more than one data set. Programmable exercise sets.
    Ability to see hr (or %max hr), elapsed time, split times - I think most
    hrms provide this but could be wrong.

    If she hasn't given any hints, you might be able to casually ask
    questions that might provide clues.

    FWIW, I use a Polar S625x. The features I value are hrm, readily
    accesssible lap button, downloadable, altimeter (I run hills), distance
    estimates, not excessively heavy on arm (but heavier than I'd wear all
    day). But if she doesn't care about elevation change, then the RS200
    (sd?) that Ylan mentions would probably work well (doesn't have some
    extra features that 625 has and I don't care about).

    While I tend to be on the geeky end of playing with numbers after a run,
    I seldom actually look at the hrm while running, except to get an idea
    of how long I've been running. Many people just want something to see
    the basics while they're running and don't do anything with the data
    afterwards - in fact some can't imagine why anyone would want a
    downloadable hrm.

    Hope this gives you some ideas.

    Dot

    --
    Just wing it, it's an adventure; don't think about strategy.
    ~Julie Udchachon, in reference to the upcoming Susitna 2006

  5. i have a mio ultimate heart rate monitor. you dont need a strap around
    your chest but you can use one if you want continuous readout. I find
    that i never use strap and cant imagine having to put a strap and gel
    on everytime i go out door. strapless is more accurate.