Good saddle for wide sit bones?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
When I did the Bontrager sit-down test at the LBS, I was surprised to learn that I needed the max width saddle (154), because I don't have that big of a butt.

I bought the Bontrager Inform RL (Lance uses it) with high hopes because finally I had a saddle fitted to me, but during a century last weekend I was in massive amounts of pain. I am not going to bash the saddle, because it could be great for some folks. All I know is that I was on the verge of tears from all the pain. The same goes for other saddles I have tried: Specialized Toupe, Koobi, Terry, and Forte.

Any other saddle recommendations? I am thinking of just going to REI (because of their generous return policy) buying 5 saddles, and hoping one works out.

jojoma said:
When I did the Bontrager sit-down test at the LBS, I was surprised to learn that I needed the max width saddle (154), because I don't have that big of a butt.

I bought the Bontrager Inform RL (Lance uses it) with high hopes because finally I had a saddle fitted to me, but during a century last weekend I was in massive amounts of pain. I am not going to bash the saddle, because it could be great for some folks. All I know is that I was on the verge of tears from all the pain. The same goes for other saddles I have tried: Specialized Toupe, Koobi, Terry, and Forte.

Any other saddle recommendations? I am thinking of just going to REI (because of their generous return policy) buying 5 saddles, and hoping one works out.

Ever have a bike fit? Most of the saddle 'issues' deal with bike fit, not saddle design. Also go to a bike shop that will fit you and also give you an openended refund or replacement deal on any saddle you try and return, as long as it still looks new.

jojoma said:

BTW-just cuz 'Lance uses it' doesn't mean diddly, as you have found out.

It is all about PERSONAL fit and preference. Get the bike set up for you and then go looking for saddles. REI has a good policy, but most of the shops in my area have the same policy that Peter mentioned. And don't limit your saddle choices to the small thin ultra-light saddles. The most comfortable saddle that I ever raced with was my lady friend's Nashbar Women's Specific Saddle. Hey, it is comfortable and it was a long event, and I did not finish last, even with a less than ultra-light sadde.

kant314 said:
fizik arione . I've never heard anyone say they don't find it comfortable

The Arione is definitely NOT a saddle for wide hip bones, and there are quite a few people that aren't/weren't impressed with it. Wide hip bones implies sit bones that are 140mm or more wider--a general ballpark. That leaves the Arione out of the equation.

kant314 said:
fizik arione . I've never heard anyone say they don't find it comfortable
Maybe those who find it uncomfortable are in too much pain to say anything:D.

If your in the US, I think Competitive Cyclist offers a seat exchange program where they send you like 10 different saddles that you can try for a week.. Cost is around 50 bucks but I think they will apply the cost to your purchase of a saddle... Not 100% sure, check their website

Don't forget hygiene...As soon as you finish riding, take off your shorts and get a good shower with soup. Saddle soars are common, even for Pro's. Fignon had one in the 1989 tour, Sean Kelly lost the Tour of Spain for the same reason