good set of specs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dexter1225, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Dexter1225

Dexter1225 New Member

i'm looking to purchase a pair of glasses for cycling. i currently use a cheap $10 pair from walgreens but they don't offer enough viewing angle. i've been looking into a pair of specialized glasses because i like the specialized accessaries i have now. i was just wondering what everyone uses/likes to use.

thanks in advance

Tags:

2. Mike1970

Mike1970 New Member

Hi,

Have you considered buying a pair of Smith sun glasses. I have bought my second pair. The other pair are still fine but I fugured after ten years time for a new pair. I wear them skiing, Road ridding, And Mountain Biking. I purchased the one I have from this store. Great store. Owned by shoppers.

Mike

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Rudy's. I used to use Oakley but switched to Rudy Project and don't plan on ever going back.

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I now use cheapo Decathlons - 12 Euro a pair with a clear and dark pair of lenses.

This comes after having proven my abilities at destroying several pairs of Oakleys and Rudy Projects...

5. sogood

sogood New Member

Rudy is great apart from the cost. Don't even think about annual update. :D

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Rudy Kerosenes. Love 'em. I had prescription lenses made to fit, so I ended up with great frames, my prescription, and no stinking inserts between the frames and my face.

7. stansman

stansman New Member

I recently had a pair of specialized glasses until they broke in my bike box on the way back from MTB nationals (don't put your $200 glasses in your helmet in your bike box). I will not buy another pair. They cut off my peripheral vision too much to the point that I felt unsafe in road racing and MTB riding. They were fine for training on the road but they fogged up a lot more easily than the oakleys I had before. They didn't ventilate very well either because when they fogged up at stop lights I basically had to take them off for a few minutes to de fog.

8. nightfend

nightfend New Member

I have both Smith and Oakley sunglasses and they are both really good. Clear optics that don't distort your vision. If there was any weakness, it would be the Oakley's durability, which is not very good.

9. dekindy

dekindy New Member

Do you need optical correction or just plain shades?

10. Dexter1225

Dexter1225 New Member

just need some shades...no specially made glasses...just some shades that will give me a better viewing angle than my walgreens glasses

11. retrorider

retrorider New Member

Tifosi Slips are nice for $50.00. The come with 4 sets of lenses and have a vent between the frame and the lens so they don't fog up real easily. The colors of the lenses vary depending on the frames you buy. You can also buy extra lenses like polorized and fototec high speed. Here is the link. I got mine at LBS they came with clear, brown, yellow, and red. http://www.tifosioptics.com/interchangeable/slip.html

12. rbtmcardle

rbtmcardle New Member

Native Silencer, dont hear much about them but they fit my face shape

13. Dexter1225

Dexter1225 New Member

i guess a follow up question would be if anyone has a good review website so i'll be able to choose between all these brands

14. barry_h20

barry_h20 New Member

i got a pair of simple adidas ones at real good price 120aussie dollars. big lense to protect your eyes and good view angle. my aussie friend bought a cheap 'alex' shades from the giant bike store in taiwan. they're even cheaper and comes with exchangeable lenses so u can ride with it day or night =)

15. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member