Good small cycling mountain town

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Flashsteve, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Flashsteve

    Flashsteve Guest

    I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria: -under 50, 000 people -easily
    accessible road and mountain-biking -bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent shoulders, if not
    bike lanes. Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists -In the mountains: anywhere between
    4K and 8K elevation. Of course, that might mean winter snow, but I would welcome a few months off
    the bike and onto the nordic skiis -Not pure resort culture. There is some kind of yearound economy
    & the town does not exist solely to service tourists -Any part of the country

    I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the 'Best Towns to Live In"
    magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one of those articles, it's too late.

    Thanks,

    Steve Scarich

    PS I'm already familiar with Bend, Durango, Boulder, Boise

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (FlashSteve) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria: -under 50, 000 people
    > -easily accessible road and mountain-biking -bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent
    > shoulders, if not bike lanes. Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists -In the
    > mountains: anywhere between 4K and 8K elevation.

    There are lots of nice small mountain towns in eastern California. Around ski resorts, the towns get
    kind of touristy. There are lots of others, though. Don't expect bike lanes in mountain towns
    (except for resort towns). Traffic should be light anyway. Except in resort towns, there won't be
    many jobs for outsiders.

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    FlashSteve wrote:

    > I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the 'Best Towns to Live In"
    > magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one of those articles, it's too late.

    If you're not worried about finding a well paying job:

    http://www.chester-lakealmanor.com/

  4. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:20:10 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you're not worried about finding a well paying job:
    >
    >http://www.chester-lakealmanor.com/

    Looks fine to this resident of Chester (UK) - we've got a few more Roman walls, but not as many
    mountains...

    David

  5. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria: -under 50, 000 people
    > -easily accessible road and mountain-biking -bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent
    > shoulders, if not bike
    lanes.
    > Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists -In the mountains: anywhere between 4K and 8K
    > elevation. Of course, that
    might
    > mean winter snow, but I would welcome a few months off the bike and onto
    the
    > nordic skiis -Not pure resort culture. There is some kind of yearound economy & the
    town
    > does not exist solely to service tourists -Any part of the country
    >
    > I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the
    'Best
    > Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one of
    those
    > articles, it's too late.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve Scarich
    >
    > PS I'm already familiar with Bend, Durango, Boulder, Boise

    Hi Steve,

    I can certainly recommend that you consider Carson City, Nevada. Around 50K in population and just
    under 5K feet in elevation. It's located at the base of the Sierra Nevadas about a 20 minute drive
    from Lake Tahoe and near many world class ski resorts.

    Carson is by no means strictly a resort town and has a much more diverse economy.

    http://www.carson-city.nv.us/index.html

    A great place for riding too. Miles and miles of relatively flat terrain in the valleys or some
    pretty intense mountain passes if you like to test your legs and lungs. The annual "Death Ride" is
    held nearby.

    http://www.deathride.com/

    Dave

  6. Jb

    Jb Guest

    Boone, NC (college home to Appalachian State University... ) elevations in the range population in
    there skiing nearby... Hincapie (sp?) and Armstrong have trained there, so roadie friendly... not
    sure on the trails. 2 hours app. from Charlotte, NC "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria: -under 50, 000 people
    > > -easily accessible road and mountain-biking -bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent
    > > shoulders, if not bike
    > lanes.
    > > Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists -In the mountains: anywhere between 4K and
    > > 8K elevation. Of course,
    that
    > might
    > > mean winter snow, but I would welcome a few months off the bike and onto
    > the
    > > nordic skiis -Not pure resort culture. There is some kind of yearound economy & the
    > town
    > > does not exist solely to service tourists -Any part of the country
    > >
    > > I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all
    the
    > 'Best
    > > Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one
    of
    > those
    > > articles, it's too late.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Steve Scarich
    > >
    > > PS I'm already familiar with Bend, Durango, Boulder, Boise
    >
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > I can certainly recommend that you consider Carson City, Nevada. Around
    50K
    > in population and just under 5K feet in elevation. It's located at the
    base
    > of the Sierra Nevadas about a 20 minute drive from Lake Tahoe and near
    many
    > world class ski resorts.
    >
    > Carson is by no means strictly a resort town and has a much more diverse economy.
    >
    > http://www.carson-city.nv.us/index.html
    >
    > A great place for riding too. Miles and miles of relatively flat terrain
    in
    > the valleys or some pretty intense mountain passes if you like to test
    your
    > legs and lungs. The annual "Death Ride" is held nearby.
    >
    > http://www.deathride.com/
    >
    > Dave

  7. Tomp

    Tomp Guest

    I whole heartedly agree. The road ride around the lake is excellent. Lots of logging roads to
    MTB on too.

    You could also live in Westwood,CA; just east of Chester about 5 miles or so.

    --

    Tp

    -------- __o ----- -\<. ------ __o --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<. ----------------- ( ) / ( )

    Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

  8. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "FlashSteve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria: -under 50, 000 people
    > -easily accessible road and mountain-biking -bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent
    > shoulders, if not bike
    lanes.
    > Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists -In the mountains: anywhere between 4K and 8K
    > elevation. Of course, that
    might
    > mean winter snow, but I would welcome a few months off the bike and onto
    the
    > nordic skiis -Not pure resort culture. There is some kind of yearound economy & the
    town
    > does not exist solely to service tourists -Any part of the country
    >
    > I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the
    'Best
    > Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one of
    those
    > articles, it's too late.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve Scarich
    >
    > PS I'm already familiar with Bend, Durango, Boulder, Boise

    How about Silver City, New Mexico. Don't remember seeing dedicated bicycle lanes, but the traffic
    was light. Roads afford very challenging ascents/descents or easier stuff for recovery, etc. There
    is also good mountain biking in the area, including the Continental Divide Trail.

    Matthew