Good socks for bike touring?

john63401

Guest
I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high.

I also would like to use these socks for waking in (for exercise)... but the main use will
be biking.

Any thoughts on what brands you guys like?

Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?

Advice?

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high.

> Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?

Smartwool socks are great, but on a tour they don't drip dry quickly. For touring, I prefer a
synthetic sock that you can wash in the sink and drip dry in a couple of hours. DeFeet are great and
they have thinner and thicker models. Pearl Izumi and Assos also make some good synthetic socks.

I have had extremely good comfort and long wear from DeFeet socks.

Bruce

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> > I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high.
>
> > Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?
>
> Smartwool socks are great, but on a tour they don't drip dry quickly. For touring, I prefer a
> synthetic sock that you can wash in the sink and
drip
> dry in a couple of hours. DeFeet are great and they have thinner and
thicker
> models. Pearl Izumi and Assos also make some good synthetic socks.

>Smartwool socks are great, but on a tour they don't drip dry quickly. For touring, I prefer a
>synthetic sock that you can wash in the sink and drip dry in a couple of hours. DeFeet are
>great and they have thinner and thicker models. Pearl Izumi and Assos also make some good
>synthetic socks.

OK... good point

But what synthetic do you look for in a sock? Nylon? Acrylic?

Ive just found wool socks to be comfortable in the fact that it DOES absorb sweat.

>I have had extremely good comfort and long wear from DeFeet socks.
>
>Bruce

OK

Do they make a PLAIN white sock?

No designs.... patterns..etc? I prefer a plain white no design sock.

> Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?

SmartWool is a great every day sock that holds up well. Performance sells a CoolMax sock that is
just about as comfortable, but dries faster.

Clothes drying tip: Over the weekend Kiss of Death Ride, I rinsed out my SmartWool socks on Saturday
night. When they were still damp in the middle of the night, I wore them to bed. They were
completely dry when I woke up. Another trick is to place the damp clothes between the sheets and the
blanket of your bed. Your body heat will dry them quickly.

[email protected] wrote in news:eek:[email protected]:
> But what synthetic do you look for in a sock? Nylon? Acrylic?

Most modern cycling socks are made from a blend of polyester for wicking, nylon for strength and
lycra for stretch. And yes, DeFeet does come in solid colors including black and white. I prefer
black which hides dirt and grease stains. They have a lot of designs, though, and most shops only
carry the most popular ones.

I am very picky about my socks. I like socks that are cool and breath well, yet retain elasticity
and are soft. Coolmax is the best material for socks, in my opinion. It used to be that you could
only buy coolmax socks with fancy brand names for $10.00 a pair. Nowadays, you can buy coolmax
ankle length socks from any department stores, for $2.00. They come in ultra thin and medium
weight. I usually buy the medium weight. I use them for cycling, running, walking and everyday
wear. They'll last a long time, retain elasticity, and stay soft and nice forever. They are also
pretty cool. I hate cotton socks cause they get hard after the first wash. Wool socks itch me
unless I buy the expensive ultra soft kind. For a pair of fancy wool socks, I can get 5 pairs of
kmart brand coolmax socks.

Andres

> I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high.
>
> I also would like to use these socks for waking in (for exercise)... but the main use will
> be biking.
>
> Any thoughts on what brands you guys like?
>
> Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?
>
> Advice?

Wigwam, Defeet, Smartwool all make good socks.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

[email protected] wrote
> I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high. I also
> would like to use these socks for waking in (for exercise)... but the main use will be biking. Any
> thoughts on what brands you guys like? Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?

I love Smartwool and Ultimax, and they work well for biking. However, thinner socks are also for
biking, and dry quicker. Be careful about walking/hiking in thin socks - you'll chafe a lot more and
get blisters. I'd say use thin (DeFeet, Pearl Izumi, etc) for biking and thicker (Smartwool,
Ultimax) for walking/running. Matt

Plain white thin poly dress socks, Walmart, cheap. Roll them down once if you need some style.
Anything more than 3 dollars for biking socks is like spending 100 dollars on sunglasses. Send your
money to me instead. You will feel better about yourself and people wont snicker behind your back.

C"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wanna buy some good low cut socks for bike touring. The kind that are only ankle high.
>
> I also would like to use these socks for waking in (for exercise)... but the main use will
> be biking.
>
> Any thoughts on what brands you guys like?
>
> Im thinking a SmartWool brand. Good.... bad?
>
> Advice?

Sock Guy merino wool socks. Short or long. Buy them direct at www.sockguy.com. It's about all
I wear now.

--