Good test of fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Mason

On Wednesday, for the first time in 2 years, I got roped into a full 90 minute football match on a
full size pitch. Although I still play 5 a side every week, a full size pitch is another thing
altogether, especially as we were playing what used to be called YTS lads.

Although as I'm 45, I couldn't quite match the fastest ones for speed, I was pleased that the 5000
miles a year I clock up cycling helped me last the game well. In fact in the last ten minutes it
was dead easy, heart and lung wise.

Only thing was, the muscles I used were very different from my cycling ones and the next day my legs
were in agony and the 25 mile ride I tried in the evening had me struggling up a rail flyover, there
was no power there at all. Still, keeping up with lads 25 years younger than me was very satisfying.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:

> all. Still, keeping up with lads 25 years younger than me was very satisfying.

I go along to the University's "Conditioning" circuit classes where I'm up against people half my
age (I'm 36), and there are quite a few I'm basically fitter than but even those who leave me for
dead during the running bits don't seem to have the aerobic recovery or the thighs for squat jumps.
Like you say, it's rather nice to put up a good show against folk who have no excuse not to be
fitter than you. Mind you, the fittest guys in the class look to be a bit older than me...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I always found that in the 7-a-sides I played in 1996/7 (at the grand-old age of 37/38) that the
last 10 mins of the hour was great- everyone else knackered, my running and cycling activities
kept me going.

I advocate a mix of exercises- I used to get shin splints running, but found that a 20 minute cycle
to and from the start/finish of the run helped. Also playing football and tennis improves the
strength and suppleness.

Off topic slightly, I got serious tennis elbow 2 years ago in my right elbow. I put it down to a
combination of using a computer mouse all day, playing tennis with poor technique and DIY. However,
I'm now getting it in my left elbow. I don't use this for tennis nor the computer. I wonder if
vibrations from the bike are part of the cause. Anyone any ideas? I have

Peter.

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
> > all. Still, keeping up with lads 25 years younger than me was very satisfying.
>
> I go along to the University's "Conditioning" circuit classes where I'm up against people half my
> age (I'm 36), and there are quite a few I'm basically fitter than but even those who leave me for
> dead during the running bits don't seem to have the aerobic recovery or the thighs for squat
> jumps. Like you say, it's rather nice to put up a good show against folk who have no excuse not to
> be fitter than you. Mind you, the fittest guys in the class look to be a bit older than me...
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I always found that in the 7-a-sides I played in 1996/7 (at the grand-old age of 37/38) that the
> last 10 mins of the hour was great- everyone else knackered, my running and cycling activities
> kept me going.

Yes, I take about 45 mins to get into full dual fuel mode, or whatever happens when you get warmed
up. After that it's fun to run around breathing through your nose, while the others are dropping
like files.

>
> Off topic slightly, I got serious tennis elbow 2 years ago in my right elbow. I put it down to a
> combination of using a computer mouse all day, playing tennis with poor technique and DIY.
> However, I'm now getting it
in
> my left elbow. I don't use this for tennis nor the computer. I wonder if vibrations from the bike
> are part of the cause. Anyone any ideas?

http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/tenniselbow.html
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

W K <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Mind you, the fittest guys in the class look to be a bit older than me...
>
> I do the occaisional running race, and count my success by the number of
> year olds that beat me.

A much fitter friend of mine did his first Ironman last year. Bad enough (for me) but a depressing
and humbling number of Seventy year olds competing.....

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

Status
Not open for further replies.