Good Tires for Cdale?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Nathan, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Hello,

    The Mavvis tires on the Easy Rider are nice all around tires, but I think they are not great road
    tires. Has anyone put a different set of tires on the stock rims? Did you like them? Did you get
    better performance? Did handling suffer?

    Nathan Gifford

    Tags:

  2. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    While i have no experience with the C''dale bent, I have ridden various CLWB with different configs. I used to own a BikeE (actually still do, but wife rides it). I found the Hookworms to be great and stable. They'd better be for nearly 2" wide. But, like you, I looked for road tires.

    I would suggest Kenda Kwests or Primo Comets. Yeah, I know some hate Comets but I have had overwhelmingly good luck with them.

    Use Mr. Tuffy liners on either of them though...IMHO.

    These tires being thinner will add great responsiveness to your ride. Your ease of pedalling should be better.

    Derek

  3. Sadieack

    Sadieack Guest

    "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Mavvis tires on the Easy Rider are nice all around tires, but I think they are not great road
    > tires. Has anyone put a different set of tires on the stock rims? Did you like them? Did you get
    > better performance? Did handling suffer?
    >
    > Nathan Gifford

    I installed Comets and I gained about 2~3 mph on my average speed. Just a note. Be sure to check
    them between rides and rest stops. On more than one occasion I have found embedded glass in them.
    Lucky I found this before it wore into the tube.

  4. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    I found that the Comets were very slick when wet. I now have a Kwest on the front and an S-Lick on
    the rear of my BikeE (same size tires at the Cannondale). I find these to be fast and stable. Craig

    [email protected] (Sadieack) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > The Mavvis tires on the Easy Rider are nice all around tires, but I think they are not great
    > > road tires. Has anyone put a different set of tires on the stock rims? Did you like them? Did
    > > you get better performance? Did handling suffer?
    > >
    > > Nathan Gifford
    >
    > I installed Comets and I gained about 2~3 mph on my average speed. Just a note. Be sure to check
    > them between rides and rest stops. On more than one occasion I have found embedded glass in them.
    > Lucky I found this before it wore into the tube.

  5. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    My first time to use Comets was a year ago on Freewheel. I had blown my Kenda kwests
    (defective sidewall we later found out) and a bike shop patrolling the route had Comets. I knew the reputation so I was apprehensive. But it was either use them or do not ride.

    So I chose them. The next day of the tour we had a torrential downpour, which totally sucked. The Primos did such a great job on my BikeE. I continue to love them now as I have a set on my Burley.

    Derek

  6. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Thanks for all the info. If anyone has any other comments please keep them coming.

    Nathan Gifford