Good to have tires pumped to MAX?

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
Before my race yesterday, I had a bike shop owner fill up my tires because I forgot my pump...anyway, he told me that they were already at 100 and asked me if I still wanted them at 120 (recommended fill for mine is 100-120). Is it bad to always have your tires at the MAX? Whenever I can, I always fill them to 120. Will this ruin my tubes quicker or something?

It really depends. I used to ride my carbons at their max and thought it was nice. But then reading this forum made me decide that I should try a lower setting. Now I run the carbons at 100f/105r. This makes my ride as quick but so much more comfortable, and with a lot more traction!

I think running max psi works only if you have very cheap tires. Like my old 1200 came with crappy bontrager select tires, the worst of the worst. And with those tires I had to run max! If not I would bounce up and down.

But pretty much all the good tires out there don't need to be at max.

I have vredestien fortezza tricomps. They are rated for a max of 175! I run them 110 front and 120 rear. Seems fine...no pinch flats...yet.

It's never good to have your tires pumped up to max. The bad is you reduce traction, increase drag and increase a chance of flatting. The good is you virtually guarantee you won't get a pinch flat.

A simple test can convince you that a lower pressure is best for puncture resistance. Blow up a balloon hard. Drop it on the sharp point of a pair of scissors. It will pop. Take another balloon and just blow it into a round, soft shape. Drop that ballon on the sharp point of a pair of scissors and it will just bounce off.

On a rough surface, such as blacktop a softer tire will roll over the bumps; a harder tired will bounce up off the bumps. The rolling resistance, albeit only a small change, will be higher on the stiff tire. For the same reason, cornering traction is compromised on a tire pumped up to high pressure; every little bump will cause the tire to bounce and the outward force will cause the tire to slip out. A softer tire (lower pressure) will grip the bumps as the tire deforms over them, increasing cornering traction.

There have been no definitive rolling tests that prove the rolling resistance change relative to tire pressure becuase there are studies with conflicting results. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, though, that lowering the pressure of your tires, relative to the weight distribution of your bike will give you best, most comfortable handling and traction.

I always run my tires at the max they are rated for (120psi). I've only had one flat since I've started riding in november. I know a few guys that run 225psi in their tires.

ToffoIsMe said:
I always run my tires at the max they are rated for (120psi). I've only had one flat since I've started riding in november. I know a few guys that run 225psi in their tires.

I don't even want to think about what that would feel like on anything other than a perfectly smooth track.

Jakey said:
I don't even want to think about what that would feel like on anything other than a perfectly smooth track.
Yea I don't think I could ride a tire at 225psi. It just sounds uncomfortable.

rudycyclist said:
Before my race yesterday, I had a bike shop owner fill up my tires because I forgot my pump...anyway, he told me that they were already at 100 and asked me if I still wanted them at 120 (recommended fill for mine is 100-120). Is it bad to always have your tires at the MAX? Whenever I can, I always fill them to 120. Will this ruin my tubes quicker or something?
A lot of the decision as to where to fill up to is dictated by the weight of the rider. If you are in the 160lb_or_less range then going at the low end should be perfectly safe (for the tire and tube). If you are in the "clydesdale" class (say, over 225lbs), then you should be thinking about running at the high end of the range to prevent pinch flats. I am 190 and run tires rated 80-110 at 90psi. If you are going for a plush ride then start at something sensible and back off 5psi at a time. When you start getting pinch flats you will know you've gone too low.

A lot of it is determined by the style of the rider. If you are light on the saddle and "unload" the bike when you see a bump, then you can go lighter. If you are glued to the saddle and hit everything with your full weight, the high end of the range will probably be your friend.

If you are a racer, then you should be concerned about "rolling resistance".
This is one of the most debated and contentious topics in cycling. For the full tilt, gloves off debates by the experts and wanna-be experts, go to the rec.bicycles.tech forum on Usenet and search on "rolling resistance". There is enough there to keep you reading for a week. Sometimes less tire pressure give less rolling resistance. You'd think that the highest pressure would always be the fastest, but a lot of people would argue against that. For racing you should talk to as many people as you can and read as much as you can searching on the topic and then see what works best for you. This topic is right up there with "what chain lube do you use" and "Campy vs. Shimano". Best luck with deciding on what's best. I'm just glad I ride for fun :)

You should see a bit of bulge where the tyre sits on the ground. No bulge, too hard. This is entirely weight dependant as said in previous post.

Not the max. 110 is plenty. The gain in rolling resistance from higher pressure is only possible on very smooth surfaces. You also suffer more in the rear end when you go to really high (150+) pressures.