Good trails in Los Angeles area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Sisson

I'm heading to the L.A. area over the Christmas holiday and was thinking of brining the bike along.
I'm some what of an experienced rider, with an FS bike.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Andrew

where specifically are you going to be? L.A. can stretch from Ventura to Laguna Beach and from the
ocean to San Bernardino depending on your definition. If your'e at one end and want to go to the
other it can be a 2 hour drive.

Check out http://www.socalmtb.com for some local trails but narrow down your destiination a bit and
it'd be easier to point you in the right direction.

Michael

"Andrew Sisson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I'm heading to the L.A. area over the Christmas holiday and was thinking
of
> brining the bike along. I'm some what of an experienced rider, with an FS bike.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks, Andrew

Andrew Sisson wrote:
> I'm heading to the L.A. area over the Christmas holiday and was thinking of brining the bike
> along. I'm some what of an experienced rider, with an FS bike.
>
> Any recommendations?
>

Right in LA the highlights are Brown Mtn, Echo Mtn, Gabrielino Trail, Sunset Cyn, all around JPL in
Alta Dena. It's the best stuff and right next to civilization.

Great rides down Orange County way, San Juan Trail and Holy Jim. Depending on traffic and where you
are in LA about 2 hours away.

Then there's Backbone Trail down to Will Rogers in Topanga State Park. The heinous yet classic
Reseda-to-the-Sea, all fireroad the traditional route with some hideous climbing also in Topanga
State Park. Very historical route. VVA started doing this back in the 70s.

And there's decent riding in the Santa Monica Mtns anywhere between Topanga and Pt Mugu. Highlights
would be the Latigo/Kanan sections of the Backbone Trail.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm heading to the L.A. area over the Christmas holiday and was thinking of brining the bike
> along. I'm some what of an experienced rider, with an FS bike.
>
> Any recommendations?

Yeah, bring your rigid singlespeed for the flatland that it is.

JD see you there

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:IsQJ9.123170$%[email protected]...
> where specifically are you going to be? L.A. can stretch from Ventura to Laguna Beach and from the
> ocean to San Bernardino depending on your definition. If your'e at one end and want to go to the
> other it can be a
> hour drive.
>
> Check out http://www.socalmtb.com for some local trails but narrow down
your
> destiination a bit and it'd be easier to point you in the right direction.
>
> Michael
>
> "Andrew Sisson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > I'm heading to the L.A. area over the Christmas holiday and was thinking
> of
> > brining the bike along. I'm some what of an experienced rider, with an
FS
> > bike.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks, Andrew
> >
> >
>
>

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area, but I'll be in the northern part of
L.A. near Camarillo and/or Point Magu.

Thanks!

--Andrew

news:[email protected]...
> "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:IsQJ9.123170$%[email protected]...
> > where specifically are you going to be? L.A. can stretch from Ventura
to
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area, but I'll be in the northern part of
> L.A. near Camarillo and/or Point Magu.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Andrew
>
>
That helps a lot.

One of the most popular spots right near where you'll be is Sycamore Canyon. It has access from
Highway 1 from the ocean side or from Newbury Park at the other end of the park. there are a couple
of decent loops here off the main canyon trail that are very popular. Most people who park at the
beach will ride up the main canyon, take the second left (can't remember the name) up to the water
tower. Left at the paved road to go down the hill. Follow the trail (becomes Wood Canyon Trail) a
few miles until you see a right hand singletrack trail (Guadalasco). Take this up the hill. Once you
crest the climb you have a couple of options to go down. You can take an immediate left and head
down Hell Hill (not recommended since you just spent all that time climbing andyou don't want to
waste it on a .75 mile fireroad downhill), you can take Backbone trail (fun ST just past Hell Hill),
or you can stay on the Overlook trail (mostly fireroad but fantastic ocean views). All of these spit
you back out on the main Sycamore Canyon trail.

some people will ride up the canyon, go up Hell Hill, down overlook, back up the canyon teh way I
just described (wood canyon to Guadalasco) and then down Overlook. It's a lot of climbing but you
hit every fun ST in the park. If you park in newbury Park you just ride down the paved hill for a
few miles and hook a right at the first road. This is the road out to the water tower and everything
else is the same.

Wildwood park in Thousand Oaks is another good one, if you know where you're going. The way I ride
it hits every ST in the park. Get to the park. 101 N, Exit Lynn Road. Turn Left. Turn Left on
Avenida de Los Arboles. Park at trailhead at end of street.

From the trailhead, head back onto Arboles the way you came. There's a little ST on your right you
can take if you want but you'll only be on it for 1/4 mile or so. On your left there's a park. cross
the street to get to the park and head to the left. You'll see a flood control channel with a trail
next to it. Take that. This will spit you out onto Wildwood Avenue. On Wildwood Avenue, turn left.
about 1 mile down the road on your right hand side is a ST up the hill. Take this. This will carry
you over the hill. when you descend, turn left to take the Santa Rosa Trail. It starts out as
fireroad but will quickly turn to ST.

Take this trail all the way back to Wildwood Park. When you get back into the park on the fireroad,
turn right. Turn right at the next intersection. the first left is Stagecoach Bluff Trail. Take
this. This will loop you back to a fireroad. Turn left. Head back to your car but you aren't done
yet. At Arboles, turn right again but head all the way back to Lynn Road. Turn Right. Just after
Avenida de Los Flores, there's a trial on your right. This is the Lynnmere Trail. Take it. Stay on
this fun ST all the way until you come to a fireroad just past a little wooden bridge. Turn right on
the FR down the hill. Stay on this FR until it ends at a stream. Cross the stream and turn left.
Take the trail along the stream to teh waterfall. continue to follow the stream and cross it TWICE.
Turn right up the hill to the TeePee and continue up to the left to get back to your car.

There's also a trail at the end of Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks (exit 101 S, turn Right until it
ends) called something like the Switchbacks or something but I find this to be too short of a ride.
Bascially you just go straight up the hill, along the ridge for a bit, and then head straight back
down. it's good for a quick workout but not too long.

In Agoura is Chesbro Canyon which is supposed to have a bunch of fun stuff but I've never ridden
there (I don't live there any more and I stayed to my local trails when I was there) and there's a
bunch of trails in Santa Barbara that I've never done.

Check out the local socalmtb.com for more reviews and directions

Michael

Andrew Sisson wrote:
>
>>
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area, but I'll be in the northern part of
> L.A. near Camarillo and/or Point Magu.
>

That ain't even LA county.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Q42K9.123883$%[email protected]...
>
> "Andrew Sisson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:IsQJ9.123170$%[email protected]...
> > > where specifically are you going to be? L.A. can stretch from Ventura
> to
> > Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area, but I'll be in the northern part
of
> > L.A. near Camarillo and/or Point Magu.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Andrew
> >
> >
> That helps a lot.
>
> One of the most popular spots right near where you'll be is Sycamore
Canyon.
> It has access from Highway 1 from the ocean side or from Newbury Park at
the
> other end of the park. there are a couple of decent loops here off the
main
> canyon trail that are very popular. Most people who park at the beach
will
> ride up the main canyon, take the second left (can't remember the name) up to the water tower.
> Left at the paved road to go down the hill. Follow
the
> trail (becomes Wood Canyon Trail) a few miles until you see a right hand singletrack trail
> (Guadalasco). Take this up the hill. Once you crest
the
> climb you have a couple of options to go down. You can take an immediate left and head down Hell
> Hill (not recommended since you just spent all
that
> time climbing andyou don't want to waste it on a .75 mile fireroad downhill), you can take
> Backbone trail (fun ST just past Hell Hill), or
you
> can stay on the Overlook trail (mostly fireroad but fantastic ocean
views).
> All of these spit you back out on the main Sycamore Canyon trail.
>
> some people will ride up the canyon, go up Hell Hill, down overlook, back
up
> the canyon teh way I just described (wood canyon to Guadalasco) and then down Overlook. It's a lot
> of climbing but you hit every fun ST in the
park.
> If you park in newbury Park you just ride down the paved hill for a few miles and hook a right at
> the first road. This is the road out to the
water
> tower and everything else is the same.
>
> Wildwood park in Thousand Oaks is another good one, if you know where
you're
> going. The way I ride it hits every ST in the park. Get to the park.
> N, Exit Lynn Road. Turn Left. Turn Left on Avenida de Los Arboles. Park at trailhead at end
> of street.
>
> From the trailhead, head back onto Arboles the way you came. There's a little ST on your right you
> can take if you want but you'll only be on it for 1/4 mile or so. On your left there's a park.
> cross the street to get to the park and head to the left. You'll see a flood control channel with
a
> trail next to it. Take that. This will spit you out onto Wildwood
Avenue.
> On Wildwood Avenue, turn left. about 1 mile down the road on your right hand side is a ST up the
> hill. Take this. This will carry you over the hill. when you descend, turn left to take the Santa
> Rosa Trail. It
starts
> out as fireroad but will quickly turn to ST.
>
> Take this trail all the way back to Wildwood Park. When you get back into the park on the
> fireroad, turn right. Turn right at the next
intersection.
> the first left is Stagecoach Bluff Trail. Take this. This will loop you back to a fireroad. Turn
> left. Head back to your car but you aren't done yet. At Arboles, turn right again but head all the
> way back to Lynn Road. Turn Right. Just after Avenida de Los Flores, there's a trial on your
> right. This is the Lynnmere Trail. Take it. Stay on this fun ST all the way until you come to a
> fireroad just past a little wooden bridge. Turn right on the FR down the hill. Stay on this FR
> until it ends at a stream. Cross the stream and turn left. Take the trail along the stream to teh
> waterfall. continue to follow the stream and cross it TWICE. Turn right
up
> the hill to the TeePee and continue up to the left to get back to your
car.
>
> There's also a trail at the end of Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks (exit
> S, turn Right until it ends) called something like the Switchbacks or something but I find this to
> be too short of a ride. Bascially you just
go
> straight up the hill, along the ridge for a bit, and then head straight
back
> down. it's good for a quick workout but not too long.
>
> In Agoura is Chesbro Canyon which is supposed to have a bunch of fun stuff but I've never ridden
> there (I don't live there any more and I stayed to
my
> local trails when I was there) and there's a bunch of trails in Santa Barbara that I've
> never done.
>
> Check out the local socalmtb.com for more reviews and directions
>
> Michael

All I know is, YOU SAID YOU HAD TO STUDY THIS MORNING!

Bill "you could've driven to Medina in the time it took you to write that"
S.

Michael Paul wrote:
>
>
> Wildwood park in Thousand Oaks is another good one, if you know where you're going. The way I ride
> it hits every ST in the park. Get to the park. 101 N, Exit Lynn Road. Turn Left. Turn Left on
> Avenida de Los Arboles. Park at trailhead at end of street.
>

Hahaha, Wildwood used to be my local park. Not a lot of miles but you want narrow, rocky, technical
singletrack, it's got it.

> From the trailhead, head back onto Arboles the way you came. There's a little ST on your right you
> can take if you want but you'll only be on it for 1/4 mile or so. On your left there's a park.
> cross the street to get to the park and head to the left. You'll see a flood control channel with
> a trail next to it. Take that. This will spit you out onto Wildwood Avenue. On Wildwood Avenue,
> turn left. about 1 mile down the road on your right hand side is a ST up the hill. Take this. This
> will carry you over the hill. when you descend, turn left to take the Santa Rosa Trail. It starts
> out as fireroad but will quickly turn to ST.
>
> Take this trail all the way back to Wildwood Park. When you get back into the park on the
> fireroad, turn right. Turn right at the next intersection. the first left is Stagecoach Bluff
> Trail. Take this. This will loop you back to a fireroad. Turn left. Head back to your car but you
> aren't done yet. At Arboles, turn right again but head all the way back to Lynn Road. Turn Right.
> Just after Avenida de Los Flores, there's a trial on your right. This is the Lynnmere Trail. Take
> it. Stay on this fun ST all the way until you come to a fireroad just past a little wooden bridge.
> Turn right on the FR down the hill. Stay on this FR until it ends at a stream. Cross the stream
> and turn left. Take the trail along the stream to teh waterfall. continue to follow the stream and
> cross it TWICE. Turn right up the hill to the TeePee and continue up to the left to get back to
> your car.
>
> There's also a trail at the end of Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks (exit 101 S, turn Right until it
> ends) called something like the Switchbacks or something but I find this to be too short of a
> ride. Bascially you just go straight up the hill, along the ridge for a bit, and then head
> straight back down. it's good for a quick workout but not too long.
>

That's only a small piece of the 11 mile Los Robles trail. Bruce Edge would have more updated info
on it's current status as far as the re-routes near Ventu Park.

Greg

--

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
Michael
>
> All I know is, YOU SAID YOU HAD TO STUDY THIS MORNING!
>
> Bill "you could've driven to Medina in the time it took you to write that"
> S.
>
>
Study? Yes. but, study group is at school at 10:00 which pretty much rules out any morning ride
unless we get up at the crack of dawn like you used to to hit Spring!

Michael

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Michael Paul wrote:
> >
> >
> > Wildwood park in Thousand Oaks is another good one, if you know where
you're
> > going. The way I ride it hits every ST in the park. Get to the park.
> > N, Exit Lynn Road. Turn Left. Turn Left on Avenida de Los Arboles.
Park
> > at trailhead at end of street.
> >
>
> Hahaha, Wildwood used to be my local park. Not a lot of miles but you
want
> narrow, rocky, technical singletrack, it's got it.
>

the version of Wildwood that I used to do came to about 16 or so miles (been too long to remember
exactly). Some of the more fun sections have been sanitized a bit so they aren't quite as rocky or
technical but the Santa Rosa Trail is a wonderful section of Singletrack.

You can also stay down low in the canyon adn follow the stream out past the water treatment
facility a ways and cross over it again onto a fireroad that eventually takes you all the way to
the grade on the 101. No S/T that way that I ever found but it defiantely added some distance and
climbing to the ride.

>
> That's only a small piece of the 11 mile Los Robles trail. Bruce Edge would have more updated info
> on it's current status as far as the
re-routes
> near Ventu Park.

Way back when I started, you could ride from the end of Moorpark road (I know you can head the other
direction towards Westlake Village and Lake Sherwood) up the switchbacks and instead of being
funnelled down Lynn Road you could go all the way to Sycamore Canyon. I wasn't nearly the rider back
then that I am now but that was a decent ride. Last year at Christmas time I rode the switchbacks
and you couldn't go that way anymore. the trail just ended and you had to go down Lynn Road and then
ride a few miles of pavement back to the car. Maybe there's something I missed.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
> we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

>Yeah, bring your rigid singlespeed for the flatland that it is. JD see you there
//////////////////////////// have you ever ridden the LA area??? flatland? like... angeles crest?
bulldog? griffith park? mulholland to the sea? stunt-piuma? latigo? deer creek? etc etc etc

[email protected] (Scribe2b) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >Yeah, bring your rigid singlespeed for the flatland that it is. JD see you there
> //////////////////////////// have you ever ridden the LA area??? flatland? like... angeles crest?
> bulldog? griffith park? mulholland to the sea? stunt-piuma? latigo? deer creek? etc etc etc

Yeah, flatland and I've ridden and hiked all over SoCal. If it's not over 11,000ft, it's flatland
and Mt San Gorgonio is in a wilderness area. You do the math, Mr LAMTB.

JD

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Scribe2b) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > >Yeah, bring your rigid singlespeed for the flatland that it is. JD see you there
> > //////////////////////////// have you ever ridden the LA area??? flatland? like... angeles
> > crest? bulldog? griffith park? mulholland to the sea? stunt-piuma? latigo? deer creek? etc
> > etc etc
>
> Yeah, flatland and I've ridden and hiked all over SoCal. If it's not over 11,000ft, it's flatland
> and Mt San Gorgonio is in a wilderness area. You do the math, Mr LAMTB.
>
> JD

Hey now, for us flatlanders, anything over 100 feet is elevation training. I'm just amazed you
didn't kill Sorni at 14,000 feet seing as how that's about 13,900 more than he normally rides plus
all those freaking Ceegars of his! Now just 'cuz we stay low doesn't mean we can't do something with
a good amount of cumulative gain............

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.