good tyre levers?

bugbear

Guest
I have bought and used several tyre levers
over the years.

The best ones IME are stimson (sp?) and
came in a 3 quid levers + patches + glue
kit. Little buggers, with a "step" on the back
that pivots on the rim nicely.

Most others I find difficult to use.

Many "old" levers (car boot specials) simply
bend over time.

The stimsons are no longer available.

So - can anyone recommend effective
tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
it makes a difference).

These look ... expensive.

http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=419

BugBear

bugbear wrote:

> So - can anyone recommend effective
> tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
> it makes a difference).

I use Park Tools plastic ones. They seem to have survived okay so far,
including the notoriously nasty Marathon <-> Brompton job.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> bugbear wrote:
>
> > So - can anyone recommend effective
> > tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
> > it makes a difference).

> I use Park Tools plastic ones. They seem to have survived okay so far,
> including the notoriously nasty Marathon <-> Brompton job.

Is that the fat, black ones? They certainly get Marathons on & off OK.
The blue, thinner ones are less good, IMOSHO.

bugbear said the following on 09/11/2006 12:34:

> So - can anyone recommend effective
> tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
> it makes a difference).

I use the £2 plastic set of three from most LBSs, or free with one of
the MTB mags last month. They work fine on 700c and 26" tyres - been
using them for years.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

sothach wrote:

> Is that the fat, black ones? They certainly get Marathons on & off OK.
> The blue, thinner ones are less good, IMOSHO.

Mine are blue, I wouldn't know if the fatness is colour coded as they're
the only ones I've seen...

Pete.
--

bugbear wrote:
> So - can anyone recommend effective tyre levers

Tacx levers are the dog's danglies. I notice a few recommendations for
Park levers, which I've found to be among the worst I've tried.
Obviously YMMV.

bugbear wrote:
> I have bought and used several tyre levers
> over the years.
>
> The best ones IME are stimson (sp?)

Simson

> and came in a 3 quid levers + patches + glue
> kit. Little buggers, with a "step" on the back
> that pivots on the rim nicely.
>
> Most others I find difficult to use.
>
> Many "old" levers (car boot specials) simply
> bend over time.
>
> The stimsons are no longer available.
>
> So - can anyone recommend effective
> tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
> it makes a difference).
>
> These look ... expensive.
>
> http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=419

My favourite tyre levers are the fibreglass reinforced nylon ones from Mike
Dyason's. The shape is good enough for tight tyres, they never bend or
break, and they're cheap enough to have a set in every one of your bike bags
and on every mantelpiece at home ;-) : http://tinyurl.com/ydqdz9 .

~PB

Pete Biggs said the following on 09/11/2006 13:53:

> My favourite tyre levers are the fibreglass reinforced nylon ones from Mike
> Dyason's. The shape is good enough for tight tyres, they never bend or
> break, and they're cheap enough to have a set in every one of your bike bags
> and on every mantelpiece at home ;-) : http://tinyurl.com/ydqdz9 .

Do you have a working link?

"Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005' blah blah"

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:

>> My favourite tyre levers are the fibreglass reinforced nylon ones
>> from Mike Dyason's. The shape is good enough for tight tyres, they
>> never bend or break, and they're cheap enough to have a set in every
>> one of your bike bags and on every mantelpiece at home ;-) :
>> http://tinyurl.com/ydqdz9 .

> Do you have a working link?

The above tinyurl one works for me.

Try this:

http://www.mikedyason.com/productDe...ff37067091a0887d81dce84fe7&text_product_id=TL

Tools section:

http://www.mikedyason.com/shop.asp?...70936390f77&no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

~PB

I like the VAR lever/s - it's a hook that pulls the tyre up and over
the rim rather than just levering it on and is very good for solving
that small tyre + large rim = much swearing and blistering of thumbs
problem.

Pete Biggs wrote:
> The above tinyurl one works for me.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.mikedyason.com/productDe...ff37067091a0887d81dce84fe7&text_product_id=TL
>
> Tools section:
>
> http://www.mikedyason.com/shop.asp?...70936390f77&no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

Both lead to:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

I suspect the involvement of cookies.

But if I go to <url:http://www.mikedyason.com/> then it's easy enough to
click on the "tools" link, then "tyre levers".

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes:

>I have bought and used several tyre levers
>over the years.

>The best ones IME are stimson (sp?) and
>came in a 3 quid levers + patches + glue
>kit. Little buggers, with a "step" on the back
>that pivots on the rim nicely.

You mean the metal Simson ones? I can probably spare a couple, every time
I bought a box of patches there was another set in there...

Still available from Halfords in the NL:
http://www.halfords.nl/NL/Acties/Catalog/ProductDetail.htm?productId=709502

Roos

bugbear wrote:
> I have bought and used several tyre levers
> over the years.

> So - can anyone recommend effective
> tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
> it makes a difference).

At the risk of starting a war comparable to wearing of h*lm*ts....

I really like the SpeedLever*. Several friends have watched amazed as it
zips a tyre on or off a wheel, and then bought one themselves. Works down
to at least a 700x25mm tyre, and has heaved several very tight examples over
rims when ordinary levers were not working.

Does need a little care in where you push, or they look like they will snap,
though mine hasn't broken and is best part of a decade old.

(* about a fiver from Halfords, I think its under the Crank Bros name these
days, though mine is much older).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

In article <[email protected]>
Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> >
> >> My favourite tyre levers are the fibreglass reinforced nylon ones
> >> from Mike Dyason's. The shape is good enough for tight tyres, they
> >> never bend or break, and they're cheap enough to have a set in every
> >> one of your bike bags and on every mantelpiece at home ;-) :
> >> http://tinyurl.com/ydqdz9 .

> > Do you have a working link?

> The above tinyurl one works for me.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.mikedyason.com/productDe...ff37067091a0887d81dce84fe7&text_product_id=TL
>
> Tools section:
>
> http://www.mikedyason.com/shop.asp?...70936390f77&no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

Any URL with a session ID probably won't work on another machine, or if
it does it won't last long. Removing the session_id string and other
junk results in
http://www.mikedyason.com/productDesc.asp?text_product_id=TL
which does work.

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes:

> So - can anyone recommend effective tyre levers (mainly for
> narrow-ish 700c if it makes a difference).

I've got some really cheap fibreglass reinforced plastic ones from
Halfords in the toolkit on my MTB and they're fine. The ones on the
tourer are a lot more comfortable and easy to use and they're blue
plastic Schwalbe ones.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tire_levers_page

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bugbear wrote:
>> So - can anyone recommend effective tyre levers

> Tacx levers are the dog's danglies. I notice a few recommendations for
> Park levers, which I've found to be among the worst I've tried. Obviously
> YMMV.

I agree, Tacx are the danglies. Even I can manage to use them!

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bugbear wrote:
>> So - can anyone recommend effective tyre levers

> Tacx levers are the dog's danglies. I notice a few recommendations for
> Park levers, which I've found to be among the worst I've tried. Obviously
> YMMV.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
> Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
> "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

I confess that as an "old and bold" I always carry a good quality dining
fork and desert spoon with me on my annual camping tours. Since I was a boy
I have always found them to be a very adequate tyre lever pair and you
can't eat your pot of stew with any kind of tyre lever.
Various plastic ones that have come to hand just don't compare!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:49:30 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> I really like the SpeedLever*. Several friends have watched amazed as it
> zips a tyre on or off a wheel, and then bought one themselves. Works down
> to at least a 700x25mm tyre, and has heaved several very tight examples
> over rims when ordinary levers were not working.
>
> Does need a little care in where you push, or they look like they will
> snap, though mine hasn't broken and is best part of a decade old.
>
> (* about a fiver from Halfords, I think its under the Crank Bros name
> these days, though mine is much older).

Seconded.

Mine is an ~8 year old Crank Brothers version, but more recently those
I've bought as presents for friends have been in Raleigh packaging. It
works fine on my assortment of 16", 17", 20" and 26" tyres.

Mike