good upgrade from RockShox Judy XCs?

Status

Disco Stu

Guest
Hi All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my trusty XC Judys that came with my GT Avalanche 1.0.

Any fork recommendations for a 'intermediate' XC rider starting to take on 'advanced' tracks?

Cheers

Disco Stu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my trusty XC Judys that came with my GT Avalanche 1.0.
>
> Any fork recommendations for a 'intermediate' XC rider starting to take on 'advanced' tracks?
>
> Cheers

Bomber!

Marzocchi MAX comp with ETA, you can trade in your JUdy XC for a discount on a new Rock Shox but you
would have to buy up to Duke to get much quality.

Trade up to a rigid fork, and forget about spring rates, a separate pump, oils, leakage, rocking
stanchions, flex (well, most of it), geometry that changes for the worse as you go over bumps or
bottom out ditches, etc.

Just a thought. ;-)

Steve

Disco Stu wrote:
:: Hi All,
::
:: I'm thinking of upgrading my trusty XC Judys that came with my GT Avalanche 1.0.
::
:: Any fork recommendations for a 'intermediate' XC rider starting to take on 'advanced' tracks?
::
:: Cheers

id say go for any of the following... an 01 mars , a 01 SX-R, none of the scareb forks ... or get a
relatively cheap marzo exr and you can just take the coil springs out readjust the oil level and you
have a nice air sprung fork.

dave

For frames and parts to withstand your brute force... Dave Adnum Dave's
Cusstum Shop [email protected] IM: [email protected] tel:
(204)889-3100 Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this? Add me to your address book... "Stephen
Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040112085214.04241.00003202@mb-
m29.aol.com...
> Trade up to a rigid fork, and forget about spring rates, a separate pump, oils, leakage, rocking
> stanchions, flex (well, most of it), geometry that changes for the worse as you go over bumps or
> bottom out ditches, etc.
>
> Just a thought. ;-)
>
> Steve

hmm ... problem with that is that most bike frames now are all suspension corrected and
suspension designed in the front end geometries... putting a rigid fork on could seriously
steepen the head angle...

You can buy the '03s from Pricepoint for $280.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=11829&style_id=315%20MARMP3&dept_id=3&deptName=Parts&sub_id=59&subName=Forks/Accessories&lprice=279.98&hprice=279.98&detailName=2003%20Marzocchi%20MX%20Pro%20ETA
I have this same fork and it is very plush but might add a bit to the height
of the front of your bike...slackening it and raising your bars and bb.
Another good choice, much stiffer, and that would have less effect on your
bike's geometry is the Manitou Black Elite. Supergo has '03's for $230.
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=23439&lsubcat_id=1808&lcat_id=7604

Danny

"Disco Stu" <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bailes wrote:
> > Marzocchi MAX comp with ETA, you can trade in your JUdy XC for a
discount on
> > a new Rock Shox but you would have to buy up to Duke to get much
quality.

> Are these the ones?
>
> http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FK703A16
>
> If so, they are with my budget.