Good value Canvas starter boots

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JRS, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. JRS

    JRS Guest

    My Brother in law has just taken up walking and wants to get some boots. He
    would prefer canvas and will be using them for 3 season fell walking at
    worst. I know its mainly about fit and comfort and he will need to try some
    on but any pointers to get him started? Don't think he wants to pay over
    £70.

    TIA

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    By canvas, I assume you mean fabric with a waterproof liner. Try Millets or
    Blacks, they have a good selection of 3 season boots for well under £70.

    Over £70 and you're talking serious mountain boots, so you need to make sure
    that all he needs is a pair of boots for fells and lower mountain, the £50
    should be enough.

    BTW, I bought a pair of Hi-Tec boots (leather) for £35, a few years ago, and
    they do great for low level walking.

    Jhimmy

    "JRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My Brother in law has just taken up walking and wants to get some boots.
    > He would prefer canvas and will be using them for 3 season fell walking at
    > worst. I know its mainly about fit and comfort and he will need to try
    > some on but any pointers to get him started? Don't think he wants to pay
    > over £70.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jon

  3. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:30:13 GMT, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >By canvas, I assume you mean fabric with a waterproof liner. Try Millets or
    >Blacks, they have a good selection of 3 season boots for well under £70.
    >
    >Over £70 and you're talking serious mountain boots, so you need to make sure
    >that all he needs is a pair of boots for fells and lower mountain, the £50
    >should be enough.
    >
    >BTW, I bought a pair of Hi-Tec boots (leather) for £35, a few years ago, and
    >they do great for low level walking.

    Hi-Tec are excellent as cheap boots go.

  4. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:12:01 -0000, "JRS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My Brother in law has just taken up walking and wants to get some boots. He
    >would prefer canvas and will be using them for 3 season fell walking at
    >worst. I know its mainly about fit and comfort and he will need to try some
    >on but any pointers to get him started? Don't think he wants to pay over
    >£70.

    Hi there,

    It's worth bearing in mind that the traditionally shaped 'boot' is
    often not actually necessary. I was taught as a child that I needed a
    high backed leather boot for walking in the Lakes, but I now realise I
    don't.

    Since your B-in-L is just starting it's worth him reading around a
    bit: for instance, see the chapter on footwear in Chris Townsend's new
    edition of "The Backpacker's Handbook"
    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070653151/102-6519722-7006529)
    for loads of useful info that will stand him in good stead for many
    years to come, and help him to make the right choices at the outset.

    Quite a lot of people now find a well fitting trail shoe - perhaps
    with a custom footbed, like Superfeet - to be a great, lightweight,
    quick drying, comfortable alternative.

    Good luck!

    Best wishes,
    --