Good Water Bottle?

Jul 6, 2015
Anybody have suggestions on a good water bottle? The one I have now leaves the water tasting like plastic. They don't all do that , do they?

Most waterbottles as far as I'm concerned work pretty well but the camelbacks are a cut above esp. with the valve system.

Be careful about bottles that say BPA-free. Some of them just substituted BPS for BPA. BPS is even worse than BPA.

Try the 'Purist Hydroflo' bottle, best one I've ever used and adds no plastic flavor to the water, made with resins instead of BPA plastics. They also have a spill proof mouthpiece.

My water bottle I use everyday I ride are from an event in 1995, The Specialized Cactus Cup. 20 years old, and still working. They hold water be it warm, cold, or iced.

I like the bottles from REI that have a well defined "waist." Makes them easy to handle. I don't know about the taste, I'm not very particular as long as it's wet.

ALL plastic water bottles no matter how much you spend will have a slight plastic taste if you have just plain water in it, if you mix it with a flavored drink you'll never taste it. Even stainless steel leaves a slight metallic taste with just plain water.

All plastic bottles are resin, all Specialized did with the Hydroflo is gave it a fancy name so people think it's not plastic; doubt me? see: https://www.ebottles.com/resins.htm

The best water bottle is the one that fits your needs, if you don't need to keep liquids cold for long then a regular plain ol plastic bottle is fine, but if you want a bottle to keep the liquid as cold as possible for as long as possible the best one currently on the market for insulative effect is the Polar Bottle, and they last forever...seemly forever anyways, the last bottle I threw away was 15 years old and the nipple was leaking but since it was an older design bottle there were no nipples to buy for it, but it I was due for new one anyways since the old one looked marred up.

blastguardgear said:
Be careful about bottles that say BPA-free. Some of them just substituted BPS for BPA. BPS is even worse than BPA.
Just spent some time learning about BPS.
Damn.

Save your hard earned dough for real upgrades and not a fancy water bottle. Avoid the gimmicky high buck bottles. My LBS sells a basic, BPA free, bottle for about $3. The basic, time tested, valve is the best for on road riding since you can operate the bottle with one hand.

Some like insulated bottles, I prefer maximizing the liquid volume. If insulation is needed, its easy enough to make a jacket to go outside the bottle.

maydog said:
Save your hard earned dough for real upgrades and not a fancy water bottle. Avoid the gimmicky high buck bottles. My LBS sells a basic, BPA free, bottle for about $3. The basic, time tested, valve is the best for on road riding since you can operate the bottle with one hand.

Some like insulated bottles, I prefer maximizing the liquid volume. If insulation is needed, its easy enough to make a jacket to go outside the bottle.
The problem with jackets is they don't work anywhere near as good as any insulated bottle on the market. The Polar bottle has a 24 ounce capacity and that's among the largest in non insulated whereas most non insulated bottles are just 22 ounces. The Zefal Magnum is 33 ounces if you want a really large bottle

"Try the 'Purist Hydroflo' bottle, best one I've ever used and adds no plastic flavor to the water, made with resins instead of BPA plastics. They also have a spill proof mouthpiece."

Absolutely. Purist bottles are dead nut simple, good quality, easy to operate with one hand, have a high flow rate when needed and seem to last two or three seasons before cracking. And the valve does not leak all over my fine Italian components or cause my hands to be glued to the bar tape.

Around $9...not a steal, but not a rip-off either.

They're CampyBob Approved.

And after 62 years of baby bottles, beer bottles, Coke bottles and bike bidons ('Tish...I spoke French!) that were made from every carcinogenic radio isotope known to modern chemistry...I really don't give a damn what they are made from anymore. Screw all that junk science and the goobermint drones from alphabet agencies that spew half-facts, non-sequiturs, logical fallacies and irrelevant lies. It ain't like you're eating a spoonful of BPS or BPS or BS with every bottle fill.

Quote by Maydog:
"The basic, time tested, valve is the best for on road riding since you can operate the bottle with one hand."

The basic, time-tested valve...also leaks like a screen door on a submarine. I prefer the basic push-pull valve with the silicone rubber flap seal gizmo. Yeah, I know...it's probably known to cause cancer in albino gerbils when they are fed a diet of 400 pounds of raw silicone per meal, but what the Hell? At least my frame stays clean and my hands aren't sticky...oh wait...I forgot about those GU gels...

I don't remember using a plastic water bottle because of the plastic taste (but the aftertaste is actually the taste of rubber). What I have is a canteen that is shaped like a bottle - made of metal. That's the advantage when you are a hobbyist, you can have any equipment or accessories you like. But I only bring the water bottle when I am traveling far like more than 5 kilometers and I seldom drink water from that bottle. In other words, it's just a safety measure in case I get dehydrated.

I got myself a Polar Bottle back when I did my bike shopping this recent week. They are 24 oz and they are insulated which is great for keeping the water cold. It was a good deal too. It's BPA and it's Phthalate free.

You mind metal? Check the new bike bottles from Sigg.

They are not squeeze bottles. They have a straw so you don't need to tilt the bottle too.

They are not that cheap though. :D

Zefal also makes some nice bottles.

Pinelander said:
I agree. The ice cubes are still there two hours later on a 90 degree day. A little pricey, but I'm worth it.
http://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/Podium-Big-Chill-25oz.aspx

Tom
Camelback reengineered and reintroduced their Podium Ice bottle which is superior to the Chill and always was even before the renewing stuff went on. I haven't bought the new Podium Ice bottle yet to compare to the Polar, but I did own the older version of the Podium Ice, and that bottle did not keep liquid cold as long as the Polar one did. My understanding is the newly reengineered Podium Ice may be better than the Polar is now, but I would hope it would be better if I'm spending twice as much for the Camelback vs the Polar.

I'm using a bland black water bottle bought from Lidl and it's still as good as the first day I bought it. Doesn't leave any taste in the water and it keeps it fresh. I'm not too picky on this.

Stainless steel is really good. Can keep it on the cold side and light weight.