Good Weekend in Jersey

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:22:03 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:

>>> OK, I am dense....WHAT?????

>> I think John is making a reference to the Isle of Jersey and Guernsey
>> in the English channel (sorry, I'm not up on that part of the world)
>> and our habit, those of us from New Jersey, of shortening our state to
>> just Jersey.

> What are "Dairy Cows?"
>
> I'll take potent potables for one thousand, Alex.

Then why don't they call them Guernsey cows?

> City people . . . . ;-)

City people! Ha! I've lived in NJ since 70 (came from da Bronx, Maggie
note it's not 'the' is 'da' ;-). But I'm both a NY'r (but not to
NY'rs) and from Jersey (but not to those form NJ). And we still need
to be wary of road apples in this part of the state. :) Not a nice
smell after a long day's bike ride.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Beverly wrote:
> Maggie wrote:
> >
> > And proud to say the only state where you can drop the NEW and just

> say
> > "Jersey".....YORK certainly does not work...nor
> > HAMPSHIRE....ORLEANS...etc.

> I thought everyone pronounced New Orleans as "Nawlins" :) I have a
> freind from New Jersey who drops the 'New' but pronounces it as
> "Joisey".

Jersey or Joisey....its all a matter of where you grew up. Nawlins is a
place I want to visit. It's on my list of cities I must see. I am
going through my list. It's next.

When I get there I will find out the correct pronunciation. I
personally like "Nawlins"...sounds cool.

I had a cat named "Jersey". My Labrador Retriver accidently killed
it. It was a "food issue". 100 lb dog and 3 lb kitten in a war over
food. Only a cat named Jersey would try to take on a 100 lb dog.

Jersey girls are known for being tough and a little wacko. I should
have thought about that before I named her.
All Good Things,
Maggie "Joisey Girl"

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:15:15 -0600, Neil Cherry <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 8 Feb 2005 11:29:23 -0800, Maggie wrote:
>>
>> John Everett wrote:

>>> Should I assume they also had a good weekend in Guernsey?

>> OK, I am dense....WHAT?????

>I think John is making a reference to the Isle of Jersey and Guernsey
>in the English channel (sorry, I'm not up on that part of the world)
>and our habit, those of us from New Jersey, of shortening our state to
>just Jersey.
>
>So John, what exit is that? ... ;-)

That would be Exit 4, Route 73 in Mt. Laurel.

John "Currently in Aurora, Illinois; Born in Rahway, raised in Scotch
Plains, and previous to Illinois lived in Marlton" Everett

A quote by someone down below in regards to this post: " Life is
good"...
I'm not promoting any web site BUT, there is a site thats worth looking
at. It's becoming a bit cult like in a good way.
lifeisgood.com
Either that or just search life is good. Really cool 'stuff'. Check it
out
And yes 'life is good'.
Terry
trek 2120
performance/touring
{ " hope i don't get kicked out for mentioning a web site" }

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:48:30 GMT, John Everett wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:15:15 -0600, Neil Cherry <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> OK, I am dense....WHAT?????

>>I think John is making a reference to the Isle of Jersey and Guernsey
>>in the English channel (sorry, I'm not up on that part of the world)
>>and our habit, those of us from New Jersey, of shortening our state to
>>just Jersey.
>>
>>So John, what exit is that? ... ;-)

> That would be Exit 4, Route 73 in Mt. Laurel.

OK, now we're talking my neck of the woods (kinda). I live in Monroe
Twp (North not South of My Laurel) and ride down as far as Lebanon
State Forest.

I don't know when you were there last but the farms are starting to
grow houses. The place has really changed in the last 5 years. It used
to be that you could ride along 206 and not feel like you were driving
in North Jersey. The Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens and I
like that. :)

--

Neil Cherry wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:48:30 GMT, John Everett wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:15:15 -0600, Neil Cherry <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

<[email protected]>

> >>I think John is making a reference to the Isle of Jersey and

Guernsey
> >>in the English channel (sorry, I'm not up on that part of the

world)
> >>and our habit, those of us from New Jersey, of shortening our state

> >>just Jersey.
> >>
> >>So John, what exit is that? ... ;-)

> > That would be Exit 4, Route 73 in Mt. Laurel.

> OK, now we're talking my neck of the woods (kinda). I live in Monroe
> Twp (North not South of My Laurel) and ride down as far as Lebanon
> State Forest.
>
> I don't know when you were there last but the farms are starting to
> grow houses. The place has really changed in the last 5 years. It

used
> to be that you could ride along 206 and not feel like you were

driving
> in North Jersey. The Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens and I
> like that. :)
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
> http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

Gosh I have not thought about that Biosphere Reserve called the Pine
Barrens in years. One of the great natural wonders of Jersey. The
last time I thought about it was when I watched an episode of the
Sopranos where Paulie and Christopher got lost out there. I'm glad to
hear the Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens.
I'll have to stop there on one of my many trips to AC. The nature girl
that I am. ;-) I would like to take a walk around that desolate mass of
ecosystems wearing very high boots and carrying a gun. NOT!!!
All Good Things,
Maggie
All Good Things,
Maggie

On 10 Feb 2005 05:54:16 -0800, Maggie wrote:

> Neil Cherry wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:48:30 GMT, John Everett wrote:

><[email protected]>

> Guernsey

> world)

>> > That would be Exit 4, Route 73 in Mt. Laurel.

>> OK, now we're talking my neck of the woods (kinda). I live in Monroe
>> Twp (North not South of My Laurel) and ride down as far as Lebanon
>> State Forest.
>>
>> I don't know when you were there last but the farms are starting to
>> grow houses. The place has really changed in the last 5 years. It

> used
>> to be that you could ride along 206 and not feel like you were

> driving
>> in North Jersey. The Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens and I
>> like that. :)

> Gosh I have not thought about that Biosphere Reserve called the Pine
> Barrens in years. One of the great natural wonders of Jersey. The
> last time I thought about it was when I watched an episode of the
> Sopranos where Paulie and Christopher got lost out there. I'm glad to
> hear the Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens.
> I'll have to stop there on one of my many trips to AC. The nature girl
> that I am. ;-) I would like to take a walk around that desolate mass of
> ecosystems wearing very high boots and carrying a gun. NOT!!!

What the heck is a Bioshere preserve? I may not be a good reference
for names, I still refer the Garden State Arts Center and the
Medowlands. Hell if I know what they're called now.

When we ride through the Barrens we see lots of bogs, sand, Pine
trees and a lot fewer people. Also since I tend to ride there during
the warmer parts of the season we try not to stop while in the Barrens
as it's always hunting season for the state bird. :)

--

Neil Cherry wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2005 05:54:16 -0800, Maggie wrote:
> >
> > Neil Cherry wrote:

<[email protected]>

> ><[email protected]>

> > Guernsey

> > world)

state

> >> OK, now we're talking my neck of the woods (kinda). I live in

Monroe
> >> Twp (North not South of My Laurel) and ride down as far as Lebanon
> >> State Forest.
> >>
> >> I don't know when you were there last but the farms are starting

> >> grow houses. The place has really changed in the last 5 years. It

> > used
> >> to be that you could ride along 206 and not feel like you were

> > driving
> >> in North Jersey. The Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens and I
> >> like that. :)

> > Gosh I have not thought about that Biosphere Reserve called the

Pine
> > Barrens in years. One of the great natural wonders of Jersey. The
> > last time I thought about it was when I watched an episode of the
> > Sopranos where Paulie and Christopher got lost out there. I'm glad

> > hear the Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens.
> > I'll have to stop there on one of my many trips to AC. The nature

girl
> > that I am. ;-) I would like to take a walk around that desolate

mass of
> > ecosystems wearing very high boots and carrying a gun. NOT!!!

> What the heck is a Bioshere preserve? I may not be a good reference
> for names, I still refer the Garden State Arts Center and the
> Medowlands. Hell if I know what they're called now.
>
> When we ride through the Barrens we see lots of bogs, sand, Pine
> trees and a lot fewer people. Also since I tend to ride there during
> the warmer parts of the season we try not to stop while in the

Barrens
> as it's always hunting season for the state bird. :)
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
> http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

It is still the Meadowlands....and that arena in the meadowlands has
had so many names, who the heck knows what it is now. The Pine Barrens
are still the Pine Barrens. It's just a Biosphere. Just as people from
Jersey Go "DOWN THE SHORE"...and navigate by exit numbers....some
things always stay the same. Have fun in the Pine Barrens.

Quoting GOOGLE:
Biosphere Reserve
Designated a "biosphere reserve" in 1983 by the United Nations
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), New
Jersey's Pinelands contains a sparsely populated and forested
Preservation Area surrounded by a more heavily populated Protection
Area. Scientists from around the world plan to study the impact of
human activity on the unique ecosystem of the Preservation Area.
All Good Things,
Maggie

On 10 Feb 2005 08:12:00 -0800, Maggie wrote:

> Biosphere Reserve
> Designated a "biosphere reserve" in 1983 by the United Nations
> Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), New
> Jersey's Pinelands contains a sparsely populated and forested
> Preservation Area surrounded by a more heavily populated Protection
> Area. Scientists from around the world plan to study the impact of
> human activity on the unique ecosystem of the Preservation Area.

Now that is cool! I get to ride and don't have to worry about the area
becoming over developed! Since there are very few stores along the
route I'll have to carry what I need in and out (I won't litter in NY
city, I won't litter in the Barrens). BTW, I think the Barrens are a
beautiful area. Reminds me of Monroe before it became developed.

--

Maggie wrote:
The last time I thought about it was when I watched an episode of the
> Sopranos where Paulie and Christopher got lost out there. I'm glad

> hear the Pine Barrens are still the Pine Barrens.

That was a classic! Those two guys are true Jersey outdoorsmen (I grew
up in Ramsey, NJ, so I saw the type).

About the only good memory I have of basic training at Fort Dix in 1972
was when we went into the field for exercises. "Into the field" meant
into the Pine Barrens; a lot of Fort Dix is in the barrens. It was
pretty scraggly country, but there were clear streams, lots of wild
blueberries, and a few little oases.

John McPhee paints a good picture of the area in a fine book called
(suprisingly enough) The Pine Barrens.