Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Good wheels for a Lemond Poprad

Started by Greg_987 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,274 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 August 2003
Last activity
3 August 2003
Original author
Greg_987
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,274
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Lemoond Poprad (2003) and it is my first cycle cross bike. I also have recently bent my back wheel a bit. You know, those dang curbs always in the way. But, I took it in to get it fixed and they did the best they could do, but, it isn't perfect. So, it isn't going to last for the long run.

    To my question: I am now looking for a replacement. Yeah, it kinda sucks to have to look for new wheels so soon after a purchase of a new bike (July 4th), but, it has to be done.

    What are your suggestions? It came with Matrix Aurora wheels. Should I try to get those same ones or maybe step up a notch??

    Thank you in advance.

    Greg

  2. Greg_987 said:

    I have a Lemoond Poprad (2003) and it is my first cycle cross bike. I also have recently bent my
    back wheel a bit.


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    What are your suggestions? It came with Matrix Aurora wheels. Should I try to get those same ones
    or maybe step up a notch??

    Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
    wheels before.

  3. Quoted post said:


    Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built wheels before.

    Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.

    <goes into newbie mode>
    The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.

    And, lets say the worst happens, I go for a ride and I crash and one of the wheels is beyond repair, what would be a good choice for a new set?

    Thanks again

  4. Greg_987 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
    wheels before.

    Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.

    <goes into newbie mode> The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a
    while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.

    And, lets say the worst happens, I go for a ride and I crash and one of the wheels is beyond
    repair, what would be a good choice for a new set?

    You don't give enough information about how and why the damage occured, and what kind of changes
    you're willing to undergo (riding or maintenance habits, mechanical skill level, bank balance, time
    commitment) to remedy the situation. Was the rim dented as from a curb impact, suggesting that you
    didn't have the tire pressure up or you just plowed into it? Or did the wheel deform into a
    potato-chip shape, suggesting a crummy wheel build, or what?

    Unless you want to invest in learning about wheels (or the uses and abuses of curbs), and buying a
    few tools that will pay for themselves in a few hours of saved shop labor, your best bet is to trust
    the expert at your local bike shop. There are many, many ways to avoid wheel failure, and many ways
    to spend more money or time than necessary given your riding habits.

  5. In article said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
    wheels before.

    Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.

    That's ok.

    Quoted message said:

    <goes into newbie mode> The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a
    while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.

    It depends on what you want-- spiffy wheels or serviceable ones? Given your record I'd suggest
    the latter.

    I'd recommend a decent hub (i.e. 105 or Ultegra) and rim, built with 32 spokes by a good
    builder. This is not significantly more expensive than similar quality machine-made wheels and
    much more durable.

    Eric

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.