Good wheels for a Lemond Poprad

Greg_987

New Member
Aug 2, 2003
I have a Lemoond Poprad (2003) and it is my first cycle cross bike. I also have recently bent my back wheel a bit. You know, those dang curbs always in the way. But, I took it in to get it fixed and they did the best they could do, but, it isn't perfect. So, it isn't going to last for the long run.

To my question: I am now looking for a replacement. Yeah, it kinda sucks to have to look for new wheels so soon after a purchase of a new bike (July 4th), but, it has to be done.

What are your suggestions? It came with Matrix Aurora wheels. Should I try to get those same ones or maybe step up a notch??

Thank you in advance.

Greg

Greg_987 wrote:
> I have a Lemoond Poprad (2003) and it is my first cycle cross bike. I also have recently bent my
> back wheel a bit.

> What are your suggestions? It came with Matrix Aurora wheels. Should I try to get those same ones
> or maybe step up a notch??

Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
wheels before.

Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built wheels before.

Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.

<goes into newbie mode>
The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.

And, lets say the worst happens, I go for a ride and I crash and one of the wheels is beyond repair, what would be a good choice for a new set?

Thanks again

Greg_987 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> wrote:
> > Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
> > wheels before.
>

> Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.
>
> <goes into newbie mode> The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a
> while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.
>
> And, lets say the worst happens, I go for a ride and I crash and one of the wheels is beyond
> repair, what would be a good choice for a new set?

You don't give enough information about how and why the damage occured, and what kind of changes
you're willing to undergo (riding or maintenance habits, mechanical skill level, bank balance, time
commitment) to remedy the situation. Was the rim dented as from a curb impact, suggesting that you
didn't have the tire pressure up or you just plowed into it? Or did the wheel deform into a
potato-chip shape, suggesting a crummy wheel build, or what?

Unless you want to invest in learning about wheels (or the uses and abuses of curbs), and buying a
few tools that will pay for themselves in a few hours of saved shop labor, your best bet is to trust
the expert at your local bike shop. There are many, many ways to avoid wheel failure, and many ways
to spend more money or time than necessary given your riding habits.

In article <[email protected]>, Greg_987 <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:
> > Just get some decent rims & rebuild them. Go to Sheldon Brown's site if you haven't built
> > wheels before.
>
>Well, to be quite honest, I don't trust myself doing that.

That's ok.

><goes into newbie mode> The wheels I have, should I just use them till they are dead or wait a
>while till I have some money and upgrade them?? I really know NOTHING about wheels.

It depends on what you want-- spiffy wheels or serviceable ones? Given your record I'd suggest
the latter.

I'd recommend a decent hub (i.e. 105 or Ultegra) and rim, built with 32 spokes by a good
builder. This is not significantly more expensive than similar quality machine-made wheels and
much more durable.

Eric