Good xc tire for slippery wet rooty conditions?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slartibartfast, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested the
    Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as a wet
    slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?

    Thanks Jason

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    __o _-\<,_ Jason Byrnes (_)/ (_)

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > slartibartfast wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and
    leaves.

    > Such a thing does not exist, IME.

    Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 is probably the nearest thing to an XC tyre that's going to be good in those
    conditions.

    Shaun aRe Slightly religious about Nokian tyres...........heheheheh.......

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested
    > the Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as
    > a wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
    >
    > Thanks Jason

    Try the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3s.

    JD

  5. JD wrote:

    > "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested
    > > the Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up
    > > as a wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
    > >
    > > Thanks Jason
    >
    > Try the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3s.
    >
    > JD

    Mmmm, I'm not sure. I switched to Vertical Pros at the end of winter from Tioga Muds. last year i
    had panaracer Fire XC pro's on and in typical UK wet, slippy, leafy, rooty woods I don't think the
    contis are any better (no worse either). They're not that hot in mud either, but for everything else
    they are noticeably better than the panaracers. This is particularly noticeable in loose, rocky,
    dusty conditions (we've had a very dry spring). I have noticed a significant increase in the speed I
    can take corners. I think this is because they have a more rounded cross section than the
    panaracers, like motor cycle tyres.

    Oh yes! I don't get so many pinch flats now either.

    Phil.

  6. >I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested the
    >Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as a
    >wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
    >
    >Thanks Jason

    Run the fattest tires that your frame will fit, at the lowest pressures you can without flatting.
    You want a tire that can swallow the roots and there just ain't no substitute for cubic inches.

    -Andrew

  7. I frequently (i.e. 4-5 time a week) ride on those conditions.

    I use panaracers. Works for me.

  8. slartibartfast writes:

    >I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves.

    i use SpecialEd HardRock'Rs - and run 'em at 45-50 so they _are_ hard, and they work very well,
    thankee. O'course, they are cheap POS tyres, so will not garner much favour at poseur's conventions,
    but they work.

    Steve