Good xc tire for slippery wet rooty conditions?

Slartibartfast

Guest
I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested the
Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as a wet
slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?

Thanks Jason

--
~~~~~~~~~~
__o _-\<,_ Jason Byrnes (_)/ (_)

> slartibartfast wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and
leaves.

> Such a thing does not exist, IME.

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 is probably the nearest thing to an XC tyre that's going to be good in those
conditions.

Shaun aRe Slightly religious about Nokian tyres...........heheheheh.......

"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested
> the Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as
> a wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
>
> Thanks Jason

Try the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3s.

JD

JD wrote:

> "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested
> > the Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up
> > as a wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
> >
> > Thanks Jason
>
> Try the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3s.
>
> JD

Mmmm, I'm not sure. I switched to Vertical Pros at the end of winter from Tioga Muds. last year i
had panaracer Fire XC pro's on and in typical UK wet, slippy, leafy, rooty woods I don't think the
contis are any better (no worse either). They're not that hot in mud either, but for everything else
they are noticeably better than the panaracers. This is particularly noticeable in loose, rocky,
dusty conditions (we've had a very dry spring). I have noticed a significant increase in the speed I
can take corners. I think this is because they have a more rounded cross section than the
panaracers, like motor cycle tyres.

Oh yes! I don't get so many pinch flats now either.

Phil.

>I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves. A friend suggested the
>Michelin Comp S Light as a good mud tire but when I tried to pin him down on how it held up as a
>wet slippery tire I couldn't really get a strait answer. what would you use?
>
>Thanks Jason

Run the fattest tires that your frame will fit, at the lowest pressures you can without flatting.
You want a tire that can swallow the roots and there just ain't no substitute for cubic inches.

-Andrew

I frequently (i.e. 4-5 time a week) ride on those conditions.

I use panaracers. Works for me.

slartibartfast writes:

>I'm looking for a good xc tire for wet, slippery roots and rocks and leaves.

i use SpecialEd HardRock'Rs - and run 'em at 45-50 so they _are_ hard, and they work very well,
thankee. O'course, they are cheap POS tyres, so will not garner much favour at poseur's conventions,
but they work.

Steve