Good ??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dpm, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Dpm

    Dpm Guest

    A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
    suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
    though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
    ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds like a bargain, but we cant
    test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the uk . Now the other bike that he has considered is
    a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does anyone have experience of this bike ,,

    Thanks Dave

    (Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
    settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good spec for the price)

    ta

    Tags:

  2. Dpm wrote:

    >A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
    >suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
    >though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
    >ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds like a bargain, but we cant
    >test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the uk . Now the other bike that he has considered is
    >a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does anyone have experience of this bike ,,
    >

    >Thanks Dave
    >
    >(Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
    >settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good spec for the price)
    >
    >ta

    Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
    bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the 2001
    models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the rear
    swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)

    That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.

    Hope this helps, A

  3. Jd Lorenzo

    Jd Lorenzo Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Dpm wrote:
    >
    > >A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
    > >suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
    > >though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
    > >ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds
    like
    > >a bargain, but we cant test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the
    uk
    > >. Now the other bike that he has considered is a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does
    > >anyone have experience of this bike ,,
    > >

    > >Thanks Dave
    > >
    > >(Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
    > >settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good
    spec
    > >for the price)
    > >
    > >ta
    > >

    > Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
    > bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the
    > 2001 models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the
    > rear swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)
    >
    > That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.
    >
    > Hope this helps, A

    It does, however I was under the impression that Schwinn bas back up and running; in fact they have
    a 2003 team ??

    Dave

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    JD Lorenzo wrote:

    >>Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
    >>bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the
    >>2001 models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the
    >>rear swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)
    >>
    >>That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.
    >>

    > It does, however I was under the impression that Schwinn bas back up and running; in fact they
    > have a 2003 team ??

    The problem is, that between the 2001 when the bike was built, and the current 2003, Schwinn were
    bought out by a major manufacturer and retain little legacy of their past. Some spare parts for
    older models do exist, but the new Schwinn is under no obligation to help out with older warranty
    issues. Experiences of friends and members of this group when dealing with Schwinn / GT issues has
    been 'patchy' at best.