Good ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dpm

A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds like a bargain, but we cant
test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the uk . Now the other bike that he has considered is
a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does anyone have experience of this bike ,,

Thanks Dave

(Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good spec for the price)

ta

Dpm wrote:

>A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
>suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
>though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
>ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds like a bargain, but we cant
>test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the uk . Now the other bike that he has considered is
>a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does anyone have experience of this bike ,,
>
>
>Thanks Dave
>
>(Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
>settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good spec for the price)
>
>ta
>
>
Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the 2001
models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the rear
swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)

That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.

Hope this helps, A

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Dpm wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine is on the point of purchasing a new mountain bike. One of the bikes is a full
> >suspension bike, A schwinn 2001 Rocket stage 3 (£499), now I have the RS3 from 2000 and love it (
> >though I am aware that there were some initial concerns with the BB). I wondered if anyone has
> >ridden the 2001 model, and if so their opinion; I think that is sounds
> >a bargain, but we cant test it cos we are in NL, and the offer is in the
uk
> >. Now the other bike that he has considered is a hardtail ; it is the 2003 Giant XTC SE 4; does
> >anyone have experience of this bike ,,
> >
> >
> >Thanks Dave
> >
> >(Ps Rich wanted a FS bike, but on the tight budget couldnt find one that seemed ok; so he was
> >settling for a hs; the Schwinn however has a good
spec
> >for the price)
> >
> >ta
> >
> >
> Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
> bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the
> 2001 models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the
> rear swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)
>
> That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.
>
> Hope this helps, A

It does, however I was under the impression that Schwinn bas back up and running; in fact they have
a 2003 team ??

Dave

JD Lorenzo wrote:

>>Here is my opinion. I too had a 2000 Stage I, and I too loved the bike. Right before Schwinn was
>>bought out, they addressed the BB Issue on that year frames, and tried to work around it on the
>>2001 models. The problem with the 2001 models is that on 17" and 15" frames, the chain rubs the
>>rear swingarm in some gear combinations. (Think, chain inboard)
>>
>>That, plus the lack of manufacturer support would delete that bike from my list.
>>
>
> It does, however I was under the impression that Schwinn bas back up and running; in fact they
> have a 2003 team ??

The problem is, that between the 2001 when the bike was built, and the current 2003, Schwinn were
bought out by a major manufacturer and retain little legacy of their past. Some spare parts for
older models do exist, but the new Schwinn is under no obligation to help out with older warranty
issues. Experiences of friends and members of this group when dealing with Schwinn / GT issues has
been 'patchy' at best.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.