Goodbye Slaughterville, Hello Veggieville?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bob, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Could PETA be any wackier...?

    Goodbye Slaughterville, Hello Veggieville?

    Feb 17, 11:07 am ET

    DALLAS (Reuters) - A vegetarian group wants an Oklahoma town named after a family that helped
    settle the state to change its name to Veggieville because they think its sounds a lot better
    than Slaughterville. The city council of Slaughterville, Oklahoma, a town of about 3,000 in the
    center of the state, was due to discuss next week the proposal by the People for the Ethical
    Treatment of Animals.

    PETA is even offering $20,000 worth of veggie burgers to an area school if the name change
    goes through.

    But town manager Marsha Blair said on Friday the chances of passage were slim to none. "We do not
    intend to change the name," she told Reuters.

    Bruce Friedrich, PETA's campaign manager, said the organization is focusing its resources on the
    abuse and cruelty of animals that are killed for the food and clothing industries in
    slaughterhouses.

    "Even if the people of Slaughterville are not looking at the cruelty to farmed animals as an issue,
    it is a fact that anyone, including the residents of Slaughterville, who is eating meat, is
    supporting the felony level of abuse of animals," he said.

    Slaughterville was named after a family that helped settle the area in the 19th century. The family
    ran a dry goods store and blacksmith shop.

    Tags:

  2. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Could PETA be any wackier...?

    > Goodbye Slaughterville, Hello Veggieville?
    >

    > Feb 17, 11:07 am ET
    >
    > DALLAS (Reuters) - A vegetarian group wants an Oklahoma town named after a family that helped
    > settle the state to change its name to Veggieville because they think its sounds a lot better than
    > Slaughterville. The city council of Slaughterville, Oklahoma, a town of about 3,000 in the center
    > of the state, was due to discuss next week the proposal by the People for the Ethical Treatment of
    > Animals.
    >
    > PETA is even offering $20,000 worth of veggie burgers to an area school if the name change goes
    > through.
    >
    > But town manager Marsha Blair said on Friday the chances of passage were slim to none. "We do not
    > intend to change the name," she told Reuters.
    >
    > Bruce Friedrich, PETA's campaign manager, said the organization is focusing its resources on the
    > abuse and cruelty of animals that are killed for the food and clothing industries in
    > slaughterhouses.
    >
    > "Even if the people of Slaughterville are not looking at the cruelty to farmed animals as an
    > issue, it is a fact that anyone, including the residents of Slaughterville, who is eating meat, is
    > supporting the felony level of abuse of animals," he said.
    >
    > Slaughterville was named after a family that helped settle the area in the 19th century. The
    > family ran a dry goods store and blacksmith shop.

    A few years ago, they tried that just south of here. They wanted Fishkill, New York to change its
    name to "Fishsave." Guess they didn't know of care that "kill" is from the Dutch word for creek,
    stream, whatever...

    Paula