Goodbye to an Old Friend

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Today was the day. I finally let go of the Red Sled. I purchased it brand new from Villa Ford in
    Orange, CA in the Summer or 1989. It made the move from CA to NC and then from NC to CO, serving
    me well for many years until the transmission died suddenly on I70 mile marker 188 in UT two
    years ago. I just sold it to a neighbor who is going to drop a new drivetrain in it and give it
    to his grandson.

    It made many trips from Hope Mills to the Uwharries, as well as a couple of trips to Pisgah when I
    lived in NC. In Colorado, it went everywhere. Once while supporting a Kokopelli tour, it even
    climbed the infamous Collarbone Hill. There are still a few locals who don't believe the red F150
    4x2 climbed that jeep road. In Summertime it made many trips into the local high country, becoming a
    regular fixture on Divide Road. It also hauled all of the rocks that originally lined the Bookcliffs
    parking lot (Chet and Sparrow were there as well). I could go on, but will forego the many fine
    memories (I don't have a week to write) of good times, great rides and all of the good friends the
    Red Sled hauled to and from the trailheads over the years.

    I hope it gives the new owner half as good of times as it did for me and those who accompanied me in
    the journeys across North America in the Red Sled.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/redsled.jpg

    JD

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 11:34:37 -0800, JD wrote:
    > Today was the day. I finally let go of the Red Sled.
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/redsled.jpg

    Makes the "silver stallion" or whatever you're calling the new rig look just a little too pretty!

    Did you turn the odometer over on that beast?

  3. MattB

    MattB Guest

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

  5. MattB

    MattB Guest

    > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On 11 Dec 2003 11:34:37 -0800, JD wrote:
    > > > Today was the day. I finally let go of the Red Sled.
    > > > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/redsled.jpg
    > >
    > > Makes the "silver stallion" or whatever you're calling the new rig look just a little too
    > > pretty!
    > >
    > > Did you turn the odometer over on that beast?
    >
    > The new one is the Silver Bullet, a kind of Colorado thing. The Sled had 212,000 miles on it.

    Hopefully doesn't dump sludge in Clear Creek, does it?

  6. JD wrote:

    > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...
    >
    >>On 11 Dec 2003 11:34:37 -0800, JD wrote:
    >>
    >>>Today was the day. I finally let go of the Red Sled.
    >>>http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/redsled.jpg
    >>
    >>Makes the "silver stallion" or whatever you're calling the new rig look just a little too pretty!
    >>
    >>Did you turn the odometer over on that beast?
    >

    > The new one is the Silver Bullet, a kind of Colorado thing. The Sled had 212,000 miles on it.
    >
    > JD

    I like the Silver Bullet. Any good names for a Beige F150?

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  7. MattB

    MattB Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>

    > I like the Silver Bullet. Any good names for a Beige F150?

    How about The Blind Mullet?

    Matt

  8. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Now thats a town I remember well. With its lake right in the center of town. Babes in swimsuits
    walking from the beach to the other of Hope Mills road. And JD seen it all from he's red sled.

    Fire up MTB 03

  9. D H

    D H Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    Ok, that's it. One of you two better come clean the snot off my monitor, and fast. :--------)
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, D H Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > Today was the day. I finally let go of the Red Sled. I purchased it brand new from Villa Ford in
    > Orange, CA in the Summer or 1989. It made the move from CA to NC and then from NC to CO, serving
    > me well for many years until the transmission died suddenly on I70 mile marker 188 in UT two years
    > ago. I just sold it to a neighbor who is going to drop a new drivetrain in it and give it to his
    > grandson. I hope it gives the new owner half as good of times as it did for me and those who
    > accompanied me in the journeys across North America in the Red Sled.
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/redsled.jpg
    >
    > JD

    That old beast even brings back a few memories for me. Like hauling us over to Bob's Trail, where I
    saw what the Richie Blackmore could do on technical terrain, and especially hauling my battered a$$
    up to the mtns of McCall while you drove and I medicated with coke and cheap wiskey, singing cartoon
    theme songs to forget all about the idiot who hit me that day.

    Nothing is constant but change.

    paladin

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 11:34:37 -0800, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >...serving me well for many years until the transmission died suddenly on I70 mile marker 188

    Wouldn't of happened if it was a single speed! WTF were you thinking!?

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...