Goodbye

On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>The major drawback was that everyone wanted to
>keep their own language alive and their were Jewish delis that you had
>to be able to speak some Jewish just to order.

POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

Bill wrote:
> In the 1920's Chicago had the ethnic neighborhood thing going on. Kind
> of shoots down your sniping, huh? He, and most kids in Chicago back then
> knew Al Capone as a kind of folk hero. I think he was the inventor of
> the drive by shooting.
> Different times, way different.

That was before Richard I bulldozed the Taylor Street Italian
neighborhoods to build the projects. A couple thousand Italian families
lost everything but, hey, served 'em damned right for not being Irish, eh?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
>>> Bill wrote:
>>> -snip-
>>> -snip-

>> A Muzi wrote:
>>> I'm sorry, that sounds horrible.

> Bill wrote:
>> The weird thing is that it is true. My great^4 grandfather was one of
>> the French who fought with the 'Real' Americans against the rather
>> brutal English colonists. His reward was to marry into the family.
>> Most of my long lost relatives are in Canada where they get along much
>> better than in the states. My family tree has a lot of branches.

> You're _clarifying_ that your grandfather's grandfather was a princess????

Never mind. I saw the typo.
My grandfathers' grandfather married a princess.
It helped that he was a good buddy of the Chief and fellow warrior
against the uncivilized English settlers.
Better?
Bill Baka

still me wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The major drawback was that everyone wanted to
>> keep their own language alive and their were Jewish delis that you had
>> to be able to speak some Jewish just to order.

> POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

What, then? Yiddish?
I don't know all of em.
Bill Baka

Zoot Katz wrote:
> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

And a guy who was a princess
--

A Muzi wrote:

>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>>> Gee, that kinda undermines your thesis about the late 1950s being so
>>> great, huh?
>>> Just saying...

> Bill wrote:
>> In the 1920's Chicago had the ethnic neighborhood thing going on. Kind
>> of shoots down your sniping, huh? He, and most kids in Chicago back
>> then knew Al Capone as a kind of folk hero. I think he was the
>> inventor of the drive by shooting.
>> Different times, way different.

> That was before Richard I bulldozed the Taylor Street Italian
> neighborhoods to build the projects. A couple thousand Italian families
> lost everything but, hey, served 'em damned right for not being Irish, eh?

The Irish have had a hold on Chicago for a long time for some reason.
There was a time when virtually all cops in Chicago were Irish.
Why that happened is a mystery.
Kind of like "Who's the Mayor?".
Richard M. (?) Daley, of course.
The Daley(sp?) family seems to have had a lock on the mayors office forever.
Corruption or just a good family name?
I didn't like them bulldozing Riverview to build more projects either,
but it happened. If they ever get rid of the museums then Chicago really
does become just another overcrowded slum town.
I went back there in 1993 and was bowled over by how bad the traffic had
gotten compared to 1962 when we moved to California with it's pathetic
school system. The other shock was that in 1993 the Illinois school
system had been dragged down to the level of California.
Sometimes progress sucks (blows)...whatever, stinks.
Bill Baka

A Muzi wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:05:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> My family tree has a lot of branches.

> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

> And a guy who was a princess

1 typo, dammit.
Bill Baka

On Apr 26, 9:25 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:27:58 -0700, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:.
> >> I need to get out and /ride/, man.

> Doug Taylor wrote:
> > Actually, you need to get laid.

> hey, family newsgroup!

Exactly. First, you get married, then go exercise with your wife. If
already married, then get her some flowers (or write her a poem if
you're cheap/romantic) and then go exercise with your wife. Then have
some kids and teach them to bike! You'll have the perfect excuse to
keep lots'o parts: "It's for the kids when they grow up..."

On Apr 25, 9:33 am, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycleshttp://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Hey Mark (as if you'll read this),

You should sing "So long, farewell, auf viedersehen (my German's
rusty), good night..." from Sound of Music in your bike attire
prancing around in the Swiss hills (with other regulars on the rbt as
the back-up singers (also in lycra of course)) and post on youtube.
The ending screen would show "Goodbye rec.bicycles.tech" in the same
flowy font as "The End" in the oldies, as Mark et al. go riding into
the sunset. And if some of you are shy to sing on camera, just dub
Julie Andrews' (or the kids?) voices from the movie. Not only would
this be a comical and fitting departure, it would bring throngs of
traffic onto this site, and hopefully, people into cycling. Well,
maybe not the latter, but it would certainly be superb rbt comedy.

Any budding or hobby directors out there?

A Muzi wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:05:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> My family tree has a lot of branches.

> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

> And a guy who was a princess

LOL Aw, man...

Bill "glad I didn't have coffee in my pie hole" S.

[email protected] wrote:

> Hey Mark (as if you'll read this),
>
> You should sing "So long, farewell, auf viedersehen (my German's
> rusty), good night..." from Sound of Music in your bike attire
> prancing around in the Swiss hills (with other regulars on the rbt as
> the back-up singers (also in lycra of course)) and post on youtube.
> The ending screen would show "Goodbye rec.bicycles.tech" in the same
> flowy font as "The End" in the oldies, as Mark et al. go riding into
> the sunset. And if some of you are shy to sing on camera, just dub
> Julie Andrews' (or the kids?) voices from the movie. Not only would
> this be a comical and fitting departure, it would bring throngs of
> traffic onto this site, and hopefully, people into cycling. Well,
> maybe not the latter, but it would certainly be superb rbt comedy.
>
> Any budding or hobby directors out there?

I don't think he can hit the high note.

Good... BYYYYYEEEEEEE.

> Ted Bennett wrote:
> >> It was a great country when I was a kid in the 50's. Cold war?
> >> Big deal. I think we peaked socially back then and peaked
> >> technologically in 1969 when we actually did put men on the moon.
> >> Now Bush has a 'vision' to put men on the moon by 2020?
> >> If I did join MENSA I sure wouldn't have to worry about meeting that moron.
> >> I hate having to attend meetings.
> >> So sorry.
> >> Bill Baka

> > Heh. Peaked socially in the 50's? Blacks, gays, Japanese might disagree
> > with that assessment.
> >
> > Your fear of "Mexicans" taking over the US of A fits right in with that.
> >

> I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
> Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
> July?
> Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
> Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
> English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
> If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
> Bill Baka

I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
any holidays it wants, just like the US can. It can print its
literature in Spanish only if it wants to. And the US can control its
borders if it really wants to. But it doesn't want to, obviously.
There are about 12 million people in the US who came here illegally.

Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
food, for construction or you name it.

--
Ted Bennett

On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:35:39 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:05:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My family tree has a lot of branches.
>>> Bill Baka

>> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

>Zoot,
>I am NOT related to you.
>Bill

Don't worry Bill. Even if you were, I'd deny it.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:35:39 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Zoot Katz wrote:

>>> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

>>Zoot,
>>I am NOT related to you.
>>Bill

> Don't worry Bill. Even if you were, I'd deny it.

Escape outa here, Zoot, please! This "Goodbye" thread
is *cursed*, and no good would come to anyone from any
participation in it.

This whole thread is just a downward spiral -- a malevolent
maelstrom of ill will, bad mojo, negativity and
self-destruction.

What we do to others, we ultimately do to ourselves,
as you no doubt well know. But this particular thread
seems to be particularly rotten, and tearing the r.b.m
community horribly asunder in a particularly tragic way.

Yer mixte XtraCyle is lookin' Hot-2-Trot!

cheers,
Tom
--
Good day, Sunshine!
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Wed, 2 May 2007 00:56:16 -0700, [email protected]
(Tom Keats) concluded:

>Yer mixte XtraCyle is lookin' Hot-2-Trot!

She's a sweet machine, eh. Took her out this morning to collect a
vacuum cleaner from the repair shop and then stopped to pick up a big
bag of lentils and can of mixed pickles from the Indian grocery.
It's not too whippy with the loads I normally carry but the bolt
upright riding position practically demands a more sedate pace.

Tonight I rode the Miyata to a meeting. I was in a hurry to make it
on time and then arrived 7 minutes early.

Neither bike has yet earned a moniker.
--
zk

On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:41:16 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>talk radio and media like Fox

Are you saying talk radio is a key source of news for you? You think
that is news? No, that's generally opinion/commentary. News requires
investigation of facts, or trying to find facts.

>At least with 2 opposite biased opinions you can decide who you
>want to believe.

I at least try to get news that is based on reporting, not opinion.
And to decide what is more true, not what matches what I want to hear.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:41:16 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

[About mainstream media in the US]
>Also they are closely linked to Hollywood and TV

Finally DI says something vaguely true. Those links can definitely
suggest that the mainstream media has liberal bias on social issues
(sexuality, pop culture, etc). But your comments about MSM being
liberal in political/economic terms are still way off.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>Accept this then. In the 50's I, as a youth, was unaware of the problem.

I accept that.

Now, in the 00's, as in informed person, you should be aware there was
a big problem back then. That's all I'm saying.

--
JT
****************************

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>still me wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The major drawback was that everyone wanted to
>>> keep their own language alive and their were Jewish delis that you had
>>> to be able to speak some Jewish just to order.

>> POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

>What, then? Yiddish?
>I don't know all of em.

Just call it "foreigner" and you'll be fine. "My dad had to try to
speak foreigner to be understood by them. Learn ENGLISH!"
--
JT