Goodbye

On Apr 25, 9:33 am, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycleshttp://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Hey Mark (as if you'll read this),

You should sing "So long, farewell, auf viedersehen (my German's
rusty), good night..." from Sound of Music in your bike attire
prancing around in the Swiss hills (with other regulars on the rbt as
the back-up singers (also in lycra of course)) and post on youtube.
The ending screen would show "Goodbye rec.bicycles.tech" in the same
flowy font as "The End" in the oldies, as Mark et al. go riding into
the sunset. And if some of you are shy to sing on camera, just dub
Julie Andrews' (or the kids?) voices from the movie. Not only would
this be a comical and fitting departure, it would bring throngs of
traffic onto this site, and hopefully, people into cycling. Well,
maybe not the latter, but it would certainly be superb rbt comedy.

Any budding or hobby directors out there?

A Muzi wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:05:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> My family tree has a lot of branches.

> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.

> And a guy who was a princess

LOL Aw, man...

Bill "glad I didn't have coffee in my pie hole" S.

[email protected] wrote:

> Hey Mark (as if you'll read this),
>
> You should sing "So long, farewell, auf viedersehen (my German's
> rusty), good night..." from Sound of Music in your bike attire
> prancing around in the Swiss hills (with other regulars on the rbt as
> the back-up singers (also in lycra of course)) and post on youtube.
> The ending screen would show "Goodbye rec.bicycles.tech" in the same
> flowy font as "The End" in the oldies, as Mark et al. go riding into
> the sunset. And if some of you are shy to sing on camera, just dub
> Julie Andrews' (or the kids?) voices from the movie. Not only would
> this be a comical and fitting departure, it would bring throngs of
> traffic onto this site, and hopefully, people into cycling. Well,
> maybe not the latter, but it would certainly be superb rbt comedy.
>
> Any budding or hobby directors out there?

I don't think he can hit the high note.

Good... BYYYYYEEEEEEE.

> Ted Bennett wrote:
> >> It was a great country when I was a kid in the 50's. Cold war?
> >> Big deal. I think we peaked socially back then and peaked
> >> technologically in 1969 when we actually did put men on the moon.
> >> Now Bush has a 'vision' to put men on the moon by 2020?
> >> If I did join MENSA I sure wouldn't have to worry about meeting that moron.
> >> I hate having to attend meetings.
> >> So sorry.
> >> Bill Baka

> > Heh. Peaked socially in the 50's? Blacks, gays, Japanese might disagree
> > with that assessment.
> >
> > Your fear of "Mexicans" taking over the US of A fits right in with that.
> >

> I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
> Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
> July?
> Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
> Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
> English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
> If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
> Bill Baka

I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
any holidays it wants, just like the US can. It can print its
literature in Spanish only if it wants to. And the US can control its
borders if it really wants to. But it doesn't want to, obviously.
There are about 12 million people in the US who came here illegally.

Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
food, for construction or you name it.

--
Ted Bennett

On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:41:16 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>talk radio and media like Fox

Are you saying talk radio is a key source of news for you? You think
that is news? No, that's generally opinion/commentary. News requires
investigation of facts, or trying to find facts.

>At least with 2 opposite biased opinions you can decide who you
>want to believe.

I at least try to get news that is based on reporting, not opinion.
And to decide what is more true, not what matches what I want to hear.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:41:16 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

[About mainstream media in the US]
>Also they are closely linked to Hollywood and TV

Finally DI says something vaguely true. Those links can definitely
suggest that the mainstream media has liberal bias on social issues
(sexuality, pop culture, etc). But your comments about MSM being
liberal in political/economic terms are still way off.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>Accept this then. In the 50's I, as a youth, was unaware of the problem.

I accept that.

Now, in the 00's, as in informed person, you should be aware there was
a big problem back then. That's all I'm saying.

--
JT
****************************

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>still me wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The major drawback was that everyone wanted to
>>> keep their own language alive and their were Jewish delis that you had
>>> to be able to speak some Jewish just to order.

>> POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

>What, then? Yiddish?
>I don't know all of em.

Just call it "foreigner" and you'll be fine. "My dad had to try to
speak foreigner to be understood by them. Learn ENGLISH!"
--
JT
****************************

On May 2, 2:37 am, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Ted Bennett wrote:
> >

> [Bill Baka:]
> > I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
> > Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
> > July?
> > Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
> > Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
> > English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
> > If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
> >

> I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
> any holidays it wants, just like the US can. It can print its
> literature in Spanish only if it wants to. And the US can control its
> borders if it really wants to. But it doesn't want to, obviously.
> There are about 12 million people in the US who came here illegally.

Well, I think things are more complicated.

First, what Bill says about Mexico is right, from what I read. In
fact, it's been pointed out that Mexico's immigration and illegal
alien laws are far harsher than those of the US. It would seem that
if we matched theirs, law by law, that nobody in Mexico could
complain. But they'd never buy that.

Second, it's wrong to say the US doesn't want to control its borders.
Certainly _many_ Americans - perhaps most Americans - want to control
the borders. But, as is usual with our messy democracy, there are
those who disagree. Some who disagree are hoping their brother Juan
(or, to be fair, Seamus) can someday sneak in. Others are folks who
want cheap, non-protesting labor for their companies so they can speed
up their yacht purchase.

> Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
> food, for construction or you name it.

Well, that's part of it. But just being able to find them is a
problem! And, of course, if we do deport them, we get protesters in
the streets objecting to our enforcement of the law.

It's a weird and complicated world.

- Frank Krygowski

Ted Bennett wrote:
>>> Heh. Peaked socially in the 50's? Blacks, gays, Japanese might disagree
>>> with that assessment.
>>>
>>> Your fear of "Mexicans" taking over the US of A fits right in with that.
>>>

>> I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
>> Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
>> July?
>> Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
>> Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
>> English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
>> If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
>> Bill Baka

> I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
> any holidays it wants, just like the US can.

Go to Mexico and start making a big deal about the fourth of July and
see if you wind up in their prison system. They do not tolerate us
unless we are spending lots of money down there.

It can print its
> literature in Spanish only if it wants to.

Now go down there and demonstrate and demand it in English.

No ****, Sherlock. Try illegally immigrating to Canada.

> Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
> food, for construction or you name it.

Because we don't want our kids to have jobs.
Hershey just announced plans to close their American plants and move all
production to Mexico. That will put well over 1,000 Americans out of
work and I won't knowingly eat anything from Mexico.
The job you lose may be your own.
No more Hersheys for me.
Bill (Still American first) Baka

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Accept this then. In the 50's I, as a youth, was unaware of the problem.

> I accept that.
>
> Now, in the 00's, as in informed person, you should be aware there was
> a big problem back then. That's all I'm saying.

Truce.
Bill Baka

In rec.bicycles.misc John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>still me wrote:
>>>
>>> POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

>>What, then? Yiddish?
>>I don't know all of em.

> Just call it "foreigner" and you'll be fine. "My dad had to try to
> speak foreigner to be understood by them. Learn ENGLISH!"

It works best if you speak. really. slowly. AND. REALLY. LOUDLY.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in 1929.

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>What, then? Yiddish?
>I don't know all of em.
>Bill Baka

Yiddish or Hebrew (which are entirely different languages, if Yiddish
is a language).

In another thread Mark Hickey wrote:
>You've gotta go beyond CNN for your news, JT.

Well, certainly CNN has flaws, but Mark's implication that CNN has
liberal bias on politics is really being destroyed right now -- look
at the contrast of coverage of discussions with Syrian leaders by
Condelezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, and Rebuplican congresspeople.
--
JT
****************************

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> In another thread Mark Hickey wrote:
>> You've gotta go beyond CNN for your news, JT.

> Well, certainly CNN has flaws, but Mark's implication that CNN has
> liberal bias on politics is really being destroyed right now -- look
> at the contrast of coverage of discussions with Syrian leaders by
> Condelezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, and Rebuplican congresspeople.

YOU PROMISED !!!!!!! :-(