Goods arrived and what's missing?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Road bike off e bay arrived today in bits minus front skewer
    which is OK as I had one in the garage. However, front forks
    have been loosened for packing purposes (I hope) and I don't
    know how to set them up. Can anyone help? Not in the picture
    are some black stem spacers. See under cat joke.

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon.htm

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    news:p[email protected]...
    > Road bike off e bay arrived today in bits minus front
    > skewer which is OK
    as
    > I had one in the garage. However, front forks have been
    > loosened for
    packing
    > purposes (I hope) and I don't know how to set them up. Can
    > anyone help?
    Not
    > in the picture are some black stem spacers. See under
    > cat joke.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon.htm

    It's OK - I think it's something to do with this star
    fangled nut, might need LBS help.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/tns.shtml

    Simon

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > front forks have been loosened for packing purposes (I
    > hope) and I don't know how to set them up. Can anyone
    > help? Not in the picture are some black stem spacers. See
    > under cat joke. http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon.htm

    Nice cat picture!

    The upper headset cup should be tight but the bit that fits
    over it (just above it) can be loose before the stem is
    fitted and headset adjusted. I'm not familiar with that
    particular headset so I'm not sure if it's all present and
    correct or not.

    Providing there's enough room on the fork steerer tube,
    you'll have the option of fitting spacers below or above
    stem, or a combination of the two. I suggest trying all
    below first.

    Fit spacers on steerer, then stem (whichever way up you
    want: they are reversable) without tightening bolts, then
    top cap and bolt or bung device (something should be
    supplied), then adjust headset. 2 and 5mm spacers are
    available if you eventually need to fine tune height
    better. Stems with more rise can be found if you need bars
    higher, and of course different length ones if different
    reach required.

    Good instructions (for threadless stem & headset):
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#headset

    Adjust deliberately with play in the headset first (test by
    rocking bike with front brake on) then gradually tighten
    headset until play just disappears (loosening stem bolts
    during adjustment every time).

    Good luck. Let us know if any problems.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > It's OK - I think it's something to do with this star
    > fangled nut,

    One of those (or an alternative) should be fitted or
    supplied. Anything inside forks? Any small bits and pieces
    supplied besides spacers?

    > might need LBS help.

    Well worth having a go yourself first if you've got all the
    bits. Only tools required should be a couple of allen keys.

    ~PB

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The upper headset cup should be tight but the bit that
    > fits over it (just above it) can be loose before the stem
    > is fitted and headset adjusted. I'm not familiar with that
    > particular headset so I'm not sure if it's all present and
    > correct or not.
    >
    > Providing there's enough room on the fork steerer tube,
    > you'll have the option of fitting spacers below or above
    > stem, or a combination of the two. I suggest trying all
    > below first.
    >
    > Fit spacers on steerer, then stem (whichever way up you
    > want: they are reversable) without tightening bolts, then
    > top cap and bolt or bung device (something should be
    > supplied), then adjust headset. 2 and 5mm spacers are
    > available if you eventually need to fine tune height
    > better. Stems with more rise can be found if you need bars
    > higher, and of course different length ones if different
    > reach required.
    >
    > Good instructions (for threadless stem & headset): http:/-
    > /www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#headset
    >
    > Adjust deliberately with play in the headset first (test
    > by rocking bike with front brake on) then gradually
    > tighten headset until play just disappears (loosening stem
    > bolts during adjustment every time).
    >
    > Good luck. Let us know if any problems.

    Thanks for that Pete. I think there must be a piece
    missing. This is the view from the top of the stem,
    there must be a threaded bolt missing that fits into
    the star nut:

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon1.htm

    Simon

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Thanks for that Pete. I think there must be a piece
    > missing. This is the view from the top of the stem,
    > there must be a threaded bolt missing that fits into the
    > star nut:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon1.htm

    Yes, you've got a star nut in there, so you need a top cap
    and bolt. These are normally supplied with the headset (or
    bike!) but any of the right size will do.

    ~PB

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Thanks for that Pete. I think there must be a piece
    > > missing. This is the view from the top of the stem,
    > > there must be a threaded bolt missing that fits into
    > > the star nut:
    > >
    > > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon1.htm
    >
    > Yes, you've got a star nut in there, so you need a top cap
    > and bolt. These are normally supplied with the headset (or
    > bike!) but any of the right size will do.

    Yes, that's what threw me, there was none supplied so I
    couldn't for the life of me work out how to tighten the
    forks. Thanks for the help.

    Simon

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Actually, it is possible to adjust the headset and ride with
    bike as it is, if you fancy riding bike to the shop, or
    permanently to save weight!*
    :) Stem can be pressed down by hand to load the
    :headset before
    tightening stem. Crude but possible.

    * This is what I do after reading that Sheldon Brown does it
    on one of his own bikes. I now normally use a bung device
    thingy to adjust the headset, then replace it with a bulked-
    out handlebar end plug (no hassle). It's perfectly safe to
    ride like this as top bolt doesn't do anything once
    headset is adjusted.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > I now normally use a bung device thingy to adjust the
    > headset......

    (just because it's easier and finer than pressing down by
    hand, but it does the same thing, really)

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > Actually, it is possible to adjust the headset and ride
    > with bike as it is, if you fancy riding bike to the shop,
    > or permanently to save weight!* :) Stem can be pressed
    > down by hand to load the headset before tightening stem.
    > Crude but possible.
    >
    > * This is what I do after reading that Sheldon Brown does
    > it on one of his own bikes.

    from http://tinyurl.com/37wl7 :

    "By the way, my two newest personal bikes, an IRO Jamie Roy
    and Thorn Raven both use 1 1/8 threadless, and I've put them
    together with no star nut at all. I've found that I can
    easily adjust the headset just by loosening the stem,
    pushing the bars down forcefully while twisting the stem,
    then clamp in place.

    "I don' need no steenking starnut!

    "If I were a weight weenie, this would save me a small
    amount of weight.

    "Since I'm not, I've found that it allows me to install a
    quill type stem into the top of the steerer, with a short
    piece of handlebar as a "space grip" allowing me to mount
    stuff there. Also allows me to have fairly low main
    handlebars, with the secondary, higher bars offering an
    alternate position for more relaxed riding."
    - Sheldon "Pushing The Envelope" Brown

    Blimey!! - PB

  11. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:47:00 -0000, Pete Biggs
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> quoted an honarary CTC member:

    > "Since I'm not, I've found that it allows me to install a
    > quill type stem into the top of the steerer, with a short
    > piece of handlebar as a "space grip" allowing me to mount
    > stuff there. Also allows me to have fairly low main
    > handlebars, with the secondary, higher bars offering an
    > alternate position for more relaxed riding."
    > - Sheldon "Pushing The Envelope" Brown
    >
    > Blimey!! - PB

    Indeed. It reminds me of those double guitars much favoured
    by rock and prog bands.

    Colin
    --

  12. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > Indeed. It reminds me of those double guitars much
    > favoured by rock and prog bands.

    Oddly enough, my insane chum Mr. Sunshine and I were having
    a musical oneupmanship contest the other day. I /thought/
    I'd won with these:

    http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/vai_triple.htm

    but he retaliated with a picture of Val Doonican, the
    unprincipled git...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:53:33 -0000, Dave Larrington <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >> Indeed. It reminds me of those double guitars much
    >> favoured by rock and prog bands.
    >
    > Oddly enough, my insane chum Mr. Sunshine and I were
    > having a musical oneupmanship contest the other day. I
    > /thought/ I'd won with these:
    >
    > http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/vai_triple.htm

    Nice (he said in a post-Darkness iroinc sense)

    Quoting about the triple:

    Steve could play "Earth Dwellers Return" on the fretless
    (bottom Neck) then without changing guitar could go straight
    into "Here And Now"."

    That sums up exactly why I took a change in musical
    direction in 1976.

    Did bikes ever get over blown and pointless? Ah, yes,
    the lowrider.

    Colin
    --

  14. Colin Blackburn wrote:

    [axe-o-nonse]

    > That sums up exactly why I took a change in musical
    > direction in 1976.

    Ah yes, 1976. The *REAL* Golden Age, according to some
    people with too much time on their collective hands (as
    announced on the stullivision this morning). They
    illustrated same with, among other crimes against
    practically everybody, The Brotherhood Of Man.

    I have not the words.

    --

    Dave "What Did You Do In The Punk Wars, Daddy?" Larrington
    Currently listening to Queens Of The Stone Age

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >> http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/vai_triple.htm
    >
    > Nice (he said in a post-Darkness iroinc sense)

    That's funny, I also immediately thought of The Darkness
    when I saw those gitars (sic). So glad they didn't get the
    Christman Number One :-D

    ~PB

  16. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Thanks for that Pete. I think there must be a piece
    > > missing. This is the view from the top of the stem,
    > > there must be a threaded bolt missing that fits into
    > > the star nut:

    This was the missing bit, 2.50 from LBS
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon2.htm I even managed to
    mess that up. After hammering the thing into the tube, I
    tried to tighten it up after previously clamping the
    handlebars to the stem, so it was only getting tighter
    against the bars, not the fork bearings. Nearly rounded the
    hex nut before I realised. What a clown!
    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  17. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Simon Mason wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for that Pete. I think there must be a piece
    >>> missing. This is the view from the top of the stem,
    >>> there must be a threaded bolt missing that fits into the
    >>> star nut:
    >

    > This was the missing bit, 2.50 from LBS
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zfon2.htm I even managed
    > to mess that up. After hammering the thing into the tube,
    > I tried to tighten it up after previously clamping the
    > handlebars to the stem, so it was only getting tighter
    > against the bars, not the fork bearings. Nearly rounded
    > the hex nut before I realised. What a clown!

    Its nice to find someone who is as good at bike maintenance
    as I am :) I made the same mistake with my first aheadset.

    Stan (It doesnt count as fixed unless I have drawn blood)Cox

  18. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    looks like a nice ride. what are the bits, and how much was
    the whole lot?

  19. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest