Google acting up Re: Help with disaster cotter pin

jeff potter

Guest
I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
yesterday. --JP

***

> [Google is acting up.]

> So does anyone think that a propane torch would offer any benefit with
> this "removal of a partial pin" project? Thanks, JP

1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

--
Michael Press

On 27 Sep 2006 05:37:57 -0700, "jeff potter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
>Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
>previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
>yesterday. --JP
>
>***
>
>> [Google is acting up.]

>> So does anyone think that a propane torch would offer any benefit with
>> this "removal of a partial pin" project? Thanks, JP

>1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
>2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

Don't change the subject line unless you want to start a new thread,
and don't rely on it to preserve the threading anyway. The interface
seems to have been broken badly.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2006 05:37:57 -0700, "jeff potter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
> >Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
> >previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
> >yesterday. --JP
> >
> >***
> >
> >> [Google is acting up.]

> >> So does anyone think that a propane torch would offer any benefit with
> >> this "removal of a partial pin" project? Thanks, JP

> >1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
> >2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

> Don't change the subject line unless you want to start a new thread,
> and don't rely on it to preserve the threading anyway. The interface
> seems to have been broken badly.

As far as I am concerned, changing the Subject: header is
allowed and often desirable. The problem is

* Newsreaders that default to not threading on the

* Google is not now even _writing_ the References:
header, in contravention of guidelines governing nntp
messages.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
"jeff potter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
> Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
> previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
> yesterday. --JP
>
> ***
>
> > [Google is acting up.]

> > So does anyone think that a propane torch would offer any benefit with
> > this "removal of a partial pin" project? Thanks, JP

> 1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
> 2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

I have despised google's nntp interface for as long as you
or anyone has been using it.

That a bad thing persists does not make it right. That you
use the google's gimcrack interface, and do not understand
the USENET basics is your problem; do not make it mine.
Here is another clue: do not top post in technical news
groups.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:40:13 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Sep 2006 05:37:57 -0700, "jeff potter"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
>> >Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
>> >previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
>> >yesterday. --JP
>> >
>> >***

>> >1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
>> >2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

>> Don't change the subject line unless you want to start a new thread,
>> and don't rely on it to preserve the threading anyway. The interface
>> seems to have been broken badly.

>As far as I am concerned, changing the Subject: header is
>allowed and often desirable. The problem is
>
>* Newsreaders that default to not threading on the
>
>* Google is not now even _writing_ the References:
>header, in contravention of guidelines governing nntp
>messages.

That latter issue is the reason for my advice. I was aware that they
had broken the headers.
--

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "jeff potter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've used Google Groups as my newsreader for years. I use it to post to
> > Usenet. It just started acting goofy yesterday. Now it won't quote
> > previous material in my replies or thread them. It was fine before
> > yesterday. --JP
> >
> > ***
> >
> > > [Google is acting up.]

> > > So does anyone think that a propane torch would offer any benefit with
> > > this "removal of a partial pin" project? Thanks, JP

> > 1. Do not use Google to post to USENET.
> > 2. If you use Google, cut and paste the text you reply to.

> I have despised google's nntp interface for as long as you
> or anyone has been using it.
>
> That a bad thing persists does not make it right. That you
> use the google's gimcrack interface, and do not understand
> the USENET basics is your problem; do not make it mine.
> Here is another clue: do not top post in technical news
> groups.

Are there any FREE news servers out there (like the formerly free
University of Berlin service)? I have a No Additional Charge ISP that
does not offer Usenet group access.

--
Tom "Cheap *******" Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> Are there any FREE news servers out there (like the formerly free
> University of Berlin service)? I have a No Additional Charge ISP that
> does not offer Usenet group access.

Here's a list:

http://www.newsservers.net/index.php

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

dvt wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > Are there any FREE news servers out there (like the formerly free
> > University of Berlin service)? I have a No Additional Charge ISP that
> > does not offer Usenet group access.

> Here's a list:
>
> http://www.newsservers.net/index.php

I will check into these as an alternative to Gurgle Gropes (where is
our friend gene daniels)?

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - gene daniels