Gopro footage of my first cat 4 race - check it out

Very nice, and thanks for the higlight reel. Your text comments add helpful context - glad you included. I'm surpised to see so many riders wearing helmet cams. Good job though, you finished with the group and from the sound of your breathing at the end gave it yer all! Not bad for a first Cat4 effort.

Originally Posted by collin2985 .

Thank you and thanks for watching.
Thats great footage, which gopro do you have?

PS - you lost that in the last K /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Awesome footage mate, I really want to get a gopro!

I've featured your vids on the homepage, hope you don't mind

I don't think I'll ever get to the level to compete..... But it's really awesome to just watch!! Very nice video of and thanks a lot for sharing. Like your commentary too, but makes amateur like me easier to understand!

You know, watching cycling on TV it doesn't look that fast. But watching this 1st person footage it looks to me like you guys are going downhill the entire time, which is of course impossible.

It just highlights how slow newbs like myself really are.

The annotations on the highlight reel were spot on and added a ton. That was great work.

Where in Maryland was the race?

As its your first cat4 race I'd assume that you've only competed in maybe a dozen bike races. Would that be a fair assumption? First rule of thumb: don't panic. A high percentage of races end up in a bunch gallop so it really doesn't matter if you're at the front all the time. First half is normally good enough. If you're doing a crit on wide roads and not a lot is going on, even languishing in the middle 1/3rd close to the edge of the bunch is fine. I'm not sure if your camera is adjusting the depth of field but stick a little closer to the back wheel infront. Overtime you'll become more relaxed doing this. Peripheral vision. It's your friend. Even in the 5 minute video there's more than just a couple of moments where people pass you and you let the wheel go and then you go hard to chase. Get used to going harder as they pass you and glancing quickly over your shoulder and grabbing the wheel as it goes by. It's not always the strongest guy that wins - its often the freshest at the finish, given a field of fairly equal ability at the start that is. If there's a mid week crit series near you, use it as training. If you do, remember that it's training. Save the cat and mouse tactics for a planned event and go into the training event with a specific purpose like learning how to corner better in a bunch, maybe just attacking for the hell of it, taking a planned "flyer" off the front with about a mile left (full gas, head down). There's a 90% chance of being caught but if you ain't a sprinter (and looking how slow you close gaps I'd say you weren't) there's a 100% chance of losing a sprint if you don't. Midweek races used for training are fun. Show up, warm up, give it hell and have fun. It also gives you a chance to scope out local riders and see who's most often up the front, off the front or covering moves.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

As its your first cat4 race I'd assume that you've only competed in maybe a dozen bike races. Would that be a fair assumption?

First rule of thumb: don't panic. A high percentage of races end up in a bunch gallop so it really doesn't matter if you're at the front all the time. First half is normally good enough. If you're doing a crit on wide roads and not a lot is going on, even languishing in the middle 1/3rd close to the edge of the bunch is fine. I'm not sure if your camera is adjusting the depth of field but stick a little closer to the back wheel infront. Overtime you'll become more relaxed doing this.

Peripheral vision. It's your friend. Even in the 5 minute video there's more than just a couple of moments where people pass you and you let the wheel go and then you go hard to chase. Get used to going harder as they pass you and glancing quickly over your shoulder and grabbing the wheel as it goes by.

It's not always the strongest guy that wins - its often the freshest at the finish, given a field of fairly equal ability at the start that is.

If there's a mid week crit series near you, use it as training. If you do, remember that it's training. Save the cat and mouse tactics for a planned event and go into the training event with a specific purpose like learning how to corner better in a bunch, maybe just attacking for the hell of it, taking a planned "flyer" off the front with about a mile left (full gas, head down). There's a 90% chance of being caught but if you ain't a sprinter (and looking how slow you close gaps I'd say you weren't) there's a 100% chance of losing a sprint if you don't. Midweek races used for training are fun. Show up, warm up, give it hell and have fun. It also gives you a chance to scope out local riders and see who's most often up the front, off the front or covering moves.

Great advice, good to see you back here and posting btw! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Watching this vid again with the couple dropped chains, I thought it may have been more well known that one can get the chain back on without dismounting by pedaling the crank slowly as you upshift the front. Doesn't work if the chain goes off to the outside from the big ring and the success of which depends on the relative gradient. But I learned about this on the fly during a race heading up a short climb of about 8-9% when I dropped my chain to the inside thinking to myself the race is over. I felt a hand on my backside, and some stranger in the peleton helping keep my momentum going said those exact words "pedal the crank slowly as you upshift the front". 3 seconds later was back on the power. The steeper the hill the more calmly and quickly it needs to happen. Of course sometimes it's just too steep to do without immediate help..

danfoz said:
Watching this vid again with the couple dropped chains, I thought it may have been more well known that one can get the chain back on without dismounting by pedaling the crank slowly as you upshift the front. Doesn't work  if the chain goes off to the outside from the big ring and the success of which depends on the relative gradient. But I learned about this on the fly during a race heading up a short climb of about 8-9% when I dropped my chain to the inside thinking to myself the race is over. I felt a hand on my backside, and some stranger in the peleton helping keep my momentum going said those exact words "pedal the crank slowly as you upshift the front". 3 seconds later was back on the power. The steeper the hill the more calmly and quickly it needs to happen. Of course sometimes it's just too steep to do without immediate help..
+1. Also chain catchers cost very little and work nicely to prevent losing chain off the inside of the small chain ring.

Having never dropped a chain on a regular road other than immediately after installing a brand new front mech and not quite dialing in the inner screw in the front mech (semi dirt tracks and cobbles have unshipped the old trusty Sedis) I have to wonder why so many bad shifts. Can't folk set up bikes these days?

"Can't folk set up bikes these days?"

No.

Why do you think they had to invent indexed shifting in the first place? 95% of the population could not figure out the hyper-complex skillz required to use 5-speed friction levers without incurring an aneurysm. Bikes iz hard n stuff!

Most have taken lessons from the Andy Schleck Publik Skool of International Indexed Shifting Advanced Automated Accuation.

Now, if you need advice on how to get your texting up to 350 CPM...operators are standing by.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Having never dropped a chain on a regular road other than immediately after installing a brand new front mech and not quite dialing in the inner screw in the front mech (semi dirt tracks and cobbles have unshipped the old trusty Sedis) I have to wonder why so many bad shifts. Can't folk set up bikes these days?
In some interview with a pro-mechanic in VELO a short while back the fella was asked what in his opinion was the trickiest thing to do mechanically on a bike. His reply, adjusting the front derailleur.

"His reply, adjusting the front derailleur."

[old fart]I'm just damned glad I still get to trim Campy mechanical front derailleurs. It's the only attribute left of shifting as I once knew it!"[/old fart]

I hear the new 'brains' on the electrically shifted stuff 'learns' and even does that for the rider...