Gord gets WIERD when people die at races.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Chumpion, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Hey

    First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
    die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.

    Gord

    Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
    story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
    don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million should
    go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later (when no one
    is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race on like

    Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
    Screw them.

    This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.

    He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move, all
    his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category. The gap
    was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could choose to
    ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he 'honors' the
    loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was in contention.
    What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to work for him now.
    That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his take on some internet
    interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing, and the loss affected
    him, blah blah blah.

    And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person for
    his image. It's not so hot right now.

    Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.

    A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

    Tags:

  2. Before you disparage someone's character so strongly, how about having the courtesy and courage to
    at least post your name.

    As for the efforts of Gord and the Mercury team to get the prize money for the BMC series, which you
    said were tasteless, you first have to ask the question:

    Did BMC pay the money to the family, as Gord and the team suggested, or did they just keep the money
    and hope no one noticed?

    While it may seem tasteless to pursue the prize money in the courts, if BMC paid the money to
    Nicole's family, but... I think they are perfectly within their rights to pursue the issue if BMC
    did not pay.

    As for the events in Tucson this spring, you don't have a clue what may or may not have happened had
    Gord been in contention instead of being minutes down on the leaders. You don't know, and certainly
    can't guarantee anything, so your assertions are nothing more than slanderous.

    Slanderous, and quite cowardly, as you won't identify yourself.

    [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey
    >
    > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
    > die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
    >

    > Gord
    >
    > Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
    > story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
    > don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
    > should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
    > (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
    > on like

    > Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
    > Screw them.
    >

    > This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
    >
    > He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
    > all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
    > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
    > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
    > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
    > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
    > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
    > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing,
    > and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
    >

    > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
    > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
    >
    > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
    >
    > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
    >

    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

  3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (brian
    roth) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
    news:<blanshay-020603210356[email protected]>...
    > > A while back I was looking at an issue of Cycle Sport, and it was about the top sprinters of
    > > all time. There was a story about horrible crashes that happen in bunch sprints, like the one
    > > in Armentieres, and abdujaparov, etc. But there was also a photo of poor Jean-Claude Colotti,
    > > lying on the ground with his leg sliced open, obviously by someone's wheel. Anyone know where
    > > and when that happened? I don't remember very much about that story, but I'm guessing it
    > > happened in the Tour.
    >

    > I believe that was from Milan San Remo 1993 (Fondriest win). The organizers car unwisely decided
    > to follow Fondriest across the line, and was stopped just past the line. A mass pile up resulted
    > when the group came in, because the car was still there. Cipollini picked up his bike and smashed
    > it thru the cars rear window. The occupant of that car now organizes the Giro, Mr. Castellano....

    I guess that could have been it. I assumed it was from the tour, but Colotti was a classics
    guy. Whatever it was, it looked horrible-you could actually see the bone. I guess that was it
    for his season!

    That article of course also mentioned that crash in Armentieres. There was also a great photo taken
    of Jan Svorada crashing in the tour in 1996, in a big sprint for 6th place. IN that photo, you can
    also see Frederic Moncassin in yellow, and Cipo, in his Italian champ jersey.

  4. Armstrong

    Armstrong Guest

    The money was donated to Nicoles foundation.

    "Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:daa89b58.0306030911.[email protected]...
> [...]

    > > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
    > > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
    > > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
    > > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
    > > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
    > > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right
    > > thing, and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
    > >

    > > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
    > > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
    > >
    > > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
    > >
    > > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.

  5. Armstrong

    Armstrong Guest

    "TC Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey
    > >
    > > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody
    > > should die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
    > >

    > > Gord
    > >
    > > Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
    > > story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
    > > don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
    > > should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
    > > (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
    > > on like

    > > Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the
    > > deal. Screw them.
    > >

    > > This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
    > >
    > > He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
    > > all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
    > > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
    > > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
    > > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
    > > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
    > > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
    > > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right
    > > thing, and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
    > >

    > > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
    > > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
    > >
    > > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
    > >
    > > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
    > >

    > You're an ass. An anonymous one, but one nonetheless. What did happen to the prize money for the
    > series? Did it in fact go to Nicole's family or foundation? Do you have an answer, or were you
    > just talking out your ass?
    >
    > And so Gord -- a sprinter -- bails on a stage race after someone dies, and that's proof of
    > his greed?
    >
    > Go away.
    >
    > TC

    TC (anonymous??) The money was paid to Nicoles foundation not to her family. At the time all the
    riders were in agreement that this was the right thing to do. So thats what was done. Now a 2 years
    later a lawsuit is pending. Sorry but this is very low class. But if you new Gord it might not
    suprise you.

    Tom A. (not anonymous)

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "armstrong" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "TC Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hey
    > > >
    > > > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life
    at a
    > > > bicycle race. Nobody should die at such a young age, with so
    much life
    > > > ahead.
    > >
    > > You're an ass. An anonymous one, but one nonetheless. What did
    happen to
    > > the prize money for the series? Did it in fact go to Nicole's
    family or
    > > foundation? Do you have an answer, or were you just talking out
    your ass?

    > > And so Gord -- a sprinter -- bails on a stage race after someone
    dies, and
    > > that's proof of his greed?
    >
    > TC (anonymous??) The money was paid to Nicoles foundation not to her
    family.
    > At the time all the riders were in agreement that this was the right
    thing
    > to do. So thats what was done. Now a 2 years later a lawsuit is
    pending.
    > Sorry but this is very low class. But if you new Gord it might not
    suprise
    > you.
    >
    > Tom A. (not anonymous)

    There's more to the story: Gordy is now on a team that has practically no money. They have like one
    change of clothes and one bike. No spares. They have to stay everywhere on the maximum cheap. The
    team has one guy who can lead out Gordy. The guy is dying out there and he's one step ahead of the
    bill collector. Most of the races he's winning he's doing it on guts alone and soon everyone will
    have his number and he won't even be able to pull his tricks to get in the final sprint.

    Now if the final race wasn't run, then Gordy and no one else has much of a leg to stand on
    about paying out the money to him. But that'll have to run its course through the court system.
    No big deal.

    As for his dropping out of Tucson - wasn't there a big argument here one time when I said that
    everyone should finish races they start and everyone else claimed that professionals only have the
    responsibility of finishing if they could win or significantly help a team member win?

  7. [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hey
    >
    > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
    > die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
    >

    > Gord
    >
    > Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
    > story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
    > don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
    > should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
    > (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
    > on like

    > Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
    > Screw them.
    >

    > This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
    >
    > He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
    > all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
    > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
    > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
    > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
    > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
    > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
    > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing,
    > and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
    >

    > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
    > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
    >
    > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
    >
    > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
    >

    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

    From what I've read about this on Velosnooze.com, it seems that the promoters, Threshold Sports, are
    the side with no class.

    First, they may in fact have donated the $250k promised to the winner of all four women's races of
    the BMC series to the NRF, but what about the *other* $250k promised to the winner of all 4 men's
    races. That's a total of $500k folks. Half a million dollars should have been donated by Threshold
    Sports to the Nicole Reinhardt Foundation. If (a big if) it was only $250k donated, then there is
    another $250k which was swept under the rug somewhere in the hopes that, in their understandable
    grief, no one would notice; now that's really pathetic and low.

    Second, once Gord and Co. figure out this scam, and after they *finally* get Threshold's
    shifty-ass attorneys in court (two years later), then Gord's team is told first rather
    underhandedly that he is not welcome at Threshold races. Once the practice of the promoter's
    authority to dictate team rosters is questioned by team management, they are told more directly
    that their whole team is not welcome.

    Third, they try to cover all of this up by saying they are under a gag order from the court.

    Sounds pretty low to me.

    But like I said, this is the version I got from Velosnooze.com which, as we should all know by now,
    isn't the most unbiased of information sources available.

    And before anyone goes and say's I'm on Gord's nuts or whatever just let me say this:

    No, I don't know Gord personally. I've never even met him or seen him race. In both cases mentioned
    above an immediate and violent death occured on the race course which he is expected to race next.
    In such a time and case, when he states that he is in no mood to race, I tend to believe him. He's
    only human.

    Just my $0.02.

    - Boyd S.

  8. [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    I hope he wins the suit just so I can KICK HIS ASS when he doesn't give ALL the money to the
    Reinhart foundation. That was the suggestion at the time, and to say different would be a lie. Later
    I guess him and Wordin thought it would be better have the cash. What is even worse is if they had
    won the cash he would probably received less than $10k (If you believe Lance only got $30K of a
    million payout). And now if they get the $250k do you think they are going to send a check to

    RVD

    hater of money grubbing cyclist.

  9. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in
    >
    > From what I've read about this on Velosnooze.com, it seems that the promoters, Threshold Sports,
    > are the side with no class.
    >
    > First, they may in fact have donated the $250k promised to the winner of all four women's races of
    > the BMC series to the NRF, but what about the *other* $250k promised to the winner of all 4 men's
    > races. That's a total of $500k folks. Half a million dollars should have been donated by Threshold
    > Sports to the Nicole Reinhardt Foundation. If (a big if) it was only $250k donated, then there is
    > another $250k which was swept under the rug somewhere in the hopes that, in their understandable
    > grief, no one would notice; now that's really pathetic and low.

    $250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.

    Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
    been held that day was cancelled).

    It is not a clear-cut situation. According to Tom Armstrong elsewhere in this thread, the BMC $$ was
    paid to the Nicole Reinhardt foundation - the question is: was it the women's or the women's *and*
    the men's?

  10. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > $250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.
    >
    > Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
    > been held that day was cancelled).

    That's why, unless they donated the money designated for the winner of all four men's races, they
    should at least let Gord have a shot at it.

    > It is not a clear-cut situation. According to Tom Armstrong elsewhere in this thread, the BMC $$
    > was paid to the Nicole Reinhardt foundation
    > - the question is: was it the women's or the women's *and* the men's?

    Yup, that's really *the* question that needs answered.

    Anyone?

    - B.

  11. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > $250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.
    > >
    > > Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
    > > been held that day was cancelled).
    >
    > That's why, unless they donated the money designated for the winner of all four men's races, they
    > should at least let Gord have a shot at it.

    I can't imagine that race being at all competitive.

    Would the competition ride hard, knowing that if Gord won, $250,000 goes to the Reinhardt
    Foundation?

    No way.

    BMC can't be criticized too much if they ponied up $250,000 instead of $500,000. Remember, the
    women's race was contested and the winner was Tina Mayolo.

  12. Myles

    Myles Guest

    TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord AND
    NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
    actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in everyones
    eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........

    Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event, held
    prior to the mens on that same day.

    It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
    started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....

    Now I'm doing some recollecting.. The men's prize was never given away. The men's prize was never
    awarded, as no one person won all 4 (5?) events due to the CANCELLATION of the last men's event..
    Nor was another chance given for the men to race for said prize (in poor taste or not..). I think
    that Gords' objections are valid (in poor taste or not). With the lawsuit, I honestly am not sure
    if he is trying to a- get the money for himself, or b-get the money released to charity, or c-
    piss people off and bring the whole situation to light.. I know that threshold sports has
    suggested several times as a result of said lawsuit in many recent years that his team should
    "leave him at home..".

    My feeling on the matter is that if some company offered a bonus for winning 4, they should honor
    it. Since 4 were never held, they either need to concede the bonus to the guy/girl that won 3, hold
    another 4th race on another day, or tastefully donate the money to a mutually agreeable cause..

  13. In article <[email protected]>, myles <[email protected]> wrote:

    > TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord
    > AND NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
    > actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in
    > everyones eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........
    >
    > Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event,
    > held prior to the mens on that same day.
    >

    > It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
    > started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....
    >
    > Now I'm doing some recollecting.. The men's prize was never given away. The men's prize was never
    > awarded, as no one person won all 4 (5?) events due to the CANCELLATION of the last men's event..
    > Nor was another chance given for the men to race for said prize (in poor taste or not..). I think
    > that Gords' objections are valid (in poor taste or not). With the lawsuit, I honestly am not sure
    > if he is trying to a- get the money for himself, or b-get the money released to charity, or c-
    > piss people off and bring the whole situation to light.. I know that threshold sports has
    > suggested several times as a result of said lawsuit in many recent years that his team should
    > "leave him at home..".
    >
    > My feeling on the matter is that if some company offered a bonus for winning 4, they should
    > honor it. Since 4 were never held, they either need to concede the bonus to the guy/girl that
    > won 3, hold another 4th race on another day, or tastefully donate the money to a mutually
    > agreeable cause..

    Or offer to pay a pro-rated portion of the $250,000. It wasn't the rider's fault that the 4th race
    in the series never happened and he never got a chance to try and win the $250,000. He did his part
    by rigin in the 3 previous races and winning the three previous races. Isnt it kind of like a bait
    and switch to say you will pay out $250,000 if someone wins all 4 races in the series and then for
    what ever reason never hold the 4th race in the series?

  14. Mike Murray

    Mike Murray Guest

    WRT the $250,000 under discussion; was this money actually there or was it only potentially there?
    There are several companies that will insure this type of prize. It is like a hole in one prize at a
    golf tournamnet. A huge amount of money can be offered if someone makes a hole in one on a specific
    hole but the organizer of the event does not put up that amount of money. He pays a prize insurance
    company a premium and that compoany pays out the prize only if someone wins it otherwise the prize
    insurance comany keeps the premium. The prize insurance company makes money by guessing the risk
    that someone will collect the prize and charging premiums appropriately.
    --
    Mike Murray

  15. "myles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord
    > AND NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
    > actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in
    > everyones eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........
    >
    > Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event,
    > held prior to the mens on that same day.
    >

    > It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
    > started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....

    <snip>

    Incorrect.

    The race reached its conclusion and she did not win. She crashed herself out of the race.

    It's not a nice way to think about it, but that's what happened.

  16. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_HgDa.31

    > On the one hand, BMC did donate $250,000 when NR took herself out.
    They did
    > not have to since she did not win all 4 races.
    >
    > On the other hand, BMC did not hold a 4th race for the men. Hmmmph.
    >
    > Not a clear-cut situation and open for a legitimate
    discussion/debate.

    Agreed. But the excluding Healthnet from the Wachovia races because of the disagreement/lawsuit is
    out and out wrong.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  17. Also,

    A friend of mine sent a letter to Threshold criticizing something in one of their races a few years
    ago (I don't remember about what exactly, but that's not the point). Threshold became very
    defensive, sent her a response ragging all over her and copied it to a lot of industry leaders (she
    had only written to them), and told her she couldn't enter any of their races, and that if her team
    complained they wouldn't be able to race either. So she didn't race.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  18. Myles

    Myles Guest

    Interesting... I honestly don't know if there was 250k sitting in someones pocket to hand out to
    gord et all.... I know that they found 250 for the NR foundation, but that's till 250k less than
    they potentially needed..

  19. Myles

    Myles Guest

    Oh yeah? Check this shi$ out...

    Million bucks on offer for Pro Cycling Tour Pro Cycling Tour organizer Threshold Sports has put up a
    million dollar prize for any rider who can win the series' three top races: the Wachovia USPRO
    Championship in Philadelphia on June 8; New York City Cycling Championship presented by BMC Software
    on August 3; and the T-Mobile International, presented by BMC Software in San Francisco on September
    14 (better known as the san Francisco GP).

    The last rider to win a million dollar prize for a race series like this was a promising young
    member of the Motorola team called Lance Armstrong. Armstrong won the Thrift Drug Triple Crown
    including the equivalent of today's Wachovia USPRO Championship, then called the CoreStates USPRO
    Championship, in Philadelphia.

    Kind of makes you go "hmmmm.".

  20. in article [email protected], Rik Van Diesel at

    > [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >>

    > I hope he wins the suit just so I can KICK HIS ASS when he doesn't give ALL the money to the
    > Reinhart foundation. That was the suggestion at the time, and to say different would be a lie.
    > Later I guess him and Wordin thought it would be better have the cash. What is even worse is if
    > they had won the cash he would probably received less than $10k (If you believe Lance only got
    > $30K of a million payout). And now if they get the $250k do you think they are going to send a
    > check to

    With Lance's $1M payout for winning the Triple Crown in 1993, there was an option ... an annuity
    paying $50,000.00/year for 20 years, or an immediate payout of ~$650K (which would have been
    expected to appreciate via investments to meet the $1M).

    Since the pay-out was to be split amongst all members of the Motorola team at the time, the election
    was for the $650K ... so it's not surprising that Lance's share of the prize money was only $30K.

    Most state lotteries operate in this manner as well ... annual payouts over a lengthy period of time
    totaling the "big money", or a whopping big immediate pay-out of a smaller sum of money.

    You'd be surprised how many people go for the big money. I think I'd go for the annuity ... I'm
    still young enough that the annuity makes more sense from an investment and tax perspective.