Gord gets WIERD when people die at races.



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ronde Chumpion

Guest
Hey

First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.

Gord

Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million should
go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later (when no one
is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race on like

Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
Screw them.

This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.

He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move, all
his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category. The gap
was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could choose to
ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he 'honors' the
loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was in contention.
What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to work for him now.
That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his take on some internet
interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing, and the loss affected
him, blah blah blah.

And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person for
his image. It's not so hot right now.

Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.

A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.

Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
 
S

Scott Hendricks

Guest
Before you disparage someone's character so strongly, how about having the courtesy and courage to
at least post your name.

As for the efforts of Gord and the Mercury team to get the prize money for the BMC series, which you
said were tasteless, you first have to ask the question:

Did BMC pay the money to the family, as Gord and the team suggested, or did they just keep the money
and hope no one noticed?

While it may seem tasteless to pursue the prize money in the courts, if BMC paid the money to
Nicole's family, but... I think they are perfectly within their rights to pursue the issue if BMC
did not pay.

As for the events in Tucson this spring, you don't have a clue what may or may not have happened had
Gord been in contention instead of being minutes down on the leaders. You don't know, and certainly
can't guarantee anything, so your assertions are nothing more than slanderous.

Slanderous, and quite cowardly, as you won't identify yourself.

[email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey
>
> First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
> die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
>
>
>
> Gord
>
> Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
> story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
> don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
> should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
> (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
> on like

>
> Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
> Screw them.
>
>
> This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
>
> He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
> all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
> The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
> choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
> 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
> in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
> work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
> take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing,
> and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
>
>
> And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
> for his image. It's not so hot right now.
>
> Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
>
> A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
>
>
> Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
 
K

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (brian
roth) wrote:

> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > A while back I was looking at an issue of Cycle Sport, and it was about the top sprinters of
> > all time. There was a story about horrible crashes that happen in bunch sprints, like the one
> > in Armentieres, and abdujaparov, etc. But there was also a photo of poor Jean-Claude Colotti,
> > lying on the ground with his leg sliced open, obviously by someone's wheel. Anyone know where
> > and when that happened? I don't remember very much about that story, but I'm guessing it
> > happened in the Tour.
>
>
> I believe that was from Milan San Remo 1993 (Fondriest win). The organizers car unwisely decided
> to follow Fondriest across the line, and was stopped just past the line. A mass pile up resulted
> when the group came in, because the car was still there. Cipollini picked up his bike and smashed
> it thru the cars rear window. The occupant of that car now organizes the Giro, Mr. Castellano....

I guess that could have been it. I assumed it was from the tour, but Colotti was a classics
guy. Whatever it was, it looked horrible-you could actually see the bone. I guess that was it
for his season!

That article of course also mentioned that crash in Armentieres. There was also a great photo taken
of Jan Svorada crashing in the tour in 1996, in a big sprint for 6th place. IN that photo, you can
also see Frederic Moncassin in yellow, and Cipo, in his Italian champ jersey.
 
A

Armstrong

Guest
The money was donated to Nicoles foundation.

"Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Before you disparage someone's character so strongly, how about having the courtesy and courage to
> at least post your name.
>
> As for the efforts of Gord and the Mercury team to get the prize money for the BMC series, which
> you said were tasteless, you first have to ask the question:
>
> Did BMC pay the money to the family, as Gord and the team suggested, or did they just keep the
> money and hope no one noticed?
>
> While it may seem tasteless to pursue the prize money in the courts, if BMC paid the money to
> Nicole's family, but... I think they are perfectly within their rights to pursue the issue if BMC
> did not pay.
>
> As for the events in Tucson this spring, you don't have a clue what may or may not have happened
> had Gord been in contention instead of being minutes down on the leaders. You don't know, and
> certainly can't guarantee anything, so your assertions are nothing more than slanderous.
>
> Slanderous, and quite cowardly, as you won't identify yourself.
>
>
>
> [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey
> >
> > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody
> > should die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
> >
> >
> >
> > Gord
> >
> > Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
> > story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
> > don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
> > should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
> > (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
> > on like

> >
> > Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the
> > deal. Screw them.
> >
> >
> > This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
> >
> > He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
> > all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
> > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
> > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
> > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
> > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
> > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
> > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right
> > thing, and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
> >
> >
> > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
> > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
> >
> > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
> >
> > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
 
A

Armstrong

Guest
"TC Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey
> >
> > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody
> > should die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
> >
> >
> >
> > Gord
> >
> > Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
> > story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
> > don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
> > should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
> > (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
> > on like

> >
> > Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the
> > deal. Screw them.
> >
> >
> > This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
> >
> > He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
> > all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
> > The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
> > choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
> > 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
> > in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
> > work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
> > take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right
> > thing, and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
> >
> >
> > And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
> > for his image. It's not so hot right now.
> >
> > Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
> >
> > A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
> >
>
> You're an ass. An anonymous one, but one nonetheless. What did happen to the prize money for the
> series? Did it in fact go to Nicole's family or foundation? Do you have an answer, or were you
> just talking out your ass?
>
> And so Gord -- a sprinter -- bails on a stage race after someone dies, and that's proof of
> his greed?
>
> Go away.
>
> TC
>

TC (anonymous??) The money was paid to Nicoles foundation not to her family. At the time all the
riders were in agreement that this was the right thing to do. So thats what was done. Now a 2 years
later a lawsuit is pending. Sorry but this is very low class. But if you new Gord it might not
suprise you.

Tom A. (not anonymous)
 
T

Tom Kunich

Guest
"armstrong" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "TC Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hey
> > >
> > > First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life
at a
> > > bicycle race. Nobody should die at such a young age, with so
much life
> > > ahead.
> >
> > You're an ass. An anonymous one, but one nonetheless. What did
happen to
> > the prize money for the series? Did it in fact go to Nicole's
family or
> > foundation? Do you have an answer, or were you just talking out
your ass?
> >
> > And so Gord -- a sprinter -- bails on a stage race after someone
dies, and
> > that's proof of his greed?
>
> TC (anonymous??) The money was paid to Nicoles foundation not to her
family.
> At the time all the riders were in agreement that this was the right
thing
> to do. So thats what was done. Now a 2 years later a lawsuit is
pending.
> Sorry but this is very low class. But if you new Gord it might not
suprise
> you.
>
> Tom A. (not anonymous)

There's more to the story: Gordy is now on a team that has practically no money. They have like one
change of clothes and one bike. No spares. They have to stay everywhere on the maximum cheap. The
team has one guy who can lead out Gordy. The guy is dying out there and he's one step ahead of the
bill collector. Most of the races he's winning he's doing it on guts alone and soon everyone will
have his number and he won't even be able to pull his tricks to get in the final sprint.

Now if the final race wasn't run, then Gordy and no one else has much of a leg to stand on
about paying out the money to him. But that'll have to run its course through the court system.
No big deal.

As for his dropping out of Tucson - wasn't there a big argument here one time when I said that
everyone should finish races they start and everyone else claimed that professionals only have the
responsibility of finishing if they could win or significantly help a team member win?
 
B

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
[email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in news:62f26b38.03060218[email protected]:

> Hey
>
> First off, it is always very sad when someone loses their life at a bicycle race. Nobody should
> die at such a young age, with so much life ahead.
>
>
>
> Gord
>
> Three years ago, a big payday ($250,000) for winning all four races BMC. Evryone knows the
> story. Nicole was killed in a freak wreck, and the loss is tremendous. A great girl. The men
> don't race, Gord and Horsetooth get plenty of GOOD publicity saying that the 1/4 million
> should go to the family, or in a fund, or whatever. Very nice.... Then, a few months later
> (when no one is looking), they want the money. Either paid to them, or hold that fourth race
> on like

>
> Very tasteless to honor the loss with such a nice sentiment, and then later renig on the deal.
> Screw them.
>
>
> This year The Gord Hometown stage race. TBC tucson bicycle classic.
>
> He's won like 10 times here. It's his like the Tour is LA's. Stage two, he misses the move,
> all his team is in it. His GC is over. Then a rider (Garrett) is killed in another category.
> The gap was 6 minutes with 5 miles to go in Gord's race when stopped. The next day, he could
> choose to ride with his team, and God-forbid even help his teammate for the overall. No, he
> 'honors' the loss by pulling out. I GUARANTEE YOU he would have raced to win if he still was
> in contention. What a loser. And then, to fxxk over a teammate, no wonder they don't want to
> work for him now. That would have been enough for me, but then I read the following week his
> take on some internet interview, and he spouts off about all this like he did the right thing,
> and the loss affected him, blah blah blah.
>
>
> And now he can't race in Philly on Sunday. He should give some thought to hiring a PR person
> for his image. It's not so hot right now.
>
> Him and Cipo can have a beer together in July.
>
> A little rough, but some of this stuff needs to get out there.
>
>
> Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

From what I've read about this on Velosnooze.com, it seems that the promoters, Threshold Sports, are
the side with no class.

First, they may in fact have donated the $250k promised to the winner of all four women's races of
the BMC series to the NRF, but what about the *other* $250k promised to the winner of all 4 men's
races. That's a total of $500k folks. Half a million dollars should have been donated by Threshold
Sports to the Nicole Reinhardt Foundation. If (a big if) it was only $250k donated, then there is
another $250k which was swept under the rug somewhere in the hopes that, in their understandable
grief, no one would notice; now that's really pathetic and low.

Second, once Gord and Co. figure out this scam, and after they *finally* get Threshold's
shifty-ass attorneys in court (two years later), then Gord's team is told first rather
underhandedly that he is not welcome at Threshold races. Once the practice of the promoter's
authority to dictate team rosters is questioned by team management, they are told more directly
that their whole team is not welcome.

Third, they try to cover all of this up by saying they are under a gag order from the court.

Sounds pretty low to me.

But like I said, this is the version I got from Velosnooze.com which, as we should all know by now,
isn't the most unbiased of information sources available.

And before anyone goes and say's I'm on Gord's nuts or whatever just let me say this:

No, I don't know Gord personally. I've never even met him or seen him race. In both cases mentioned
above an immediate and violent death occured on the race course which he is expected to race next.
In such a time and case, when he states that he is in no mood to race, I tend to believe him. He's
only human.

Just my $0.02.

- Boyd S.
 
R

Rik Van Diesel

Guest
[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>

I hope he wins the suit just so I can KICK HIS ASS when he doesn't give ALL the money to the
Reinhart foundation. That was the suggestion at the time, and to say different would be a lie. Later
I guess him and Wordin thought it would be better have the cash. What is even worse is if they had
won the cash he would probably received less than $10k (If you believe Lance only got $30K of a
million payout). And now if they get the $250k do you think they are going to send a check to

RVD

hater of money grubbing cyclist.
 
K

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in
>
> From what I've read about this on Velosnooze.com, it seems that the promoters, Threshold Sports,
> are the side with no class.
>
> First, they may in fact have donated the $250k promised to the winner of all four women's races of
> the BMC series to the NRF, but what about the *other* $250k promised to the winner of all 4 men's
> races. That's a total of $500k folks. Half a million dollars should have been donated by Threshold
> Sports to the Nicole Reinhardt Foundation. If (a big if) it was only $250k donated, then there is
> another $250k which was swept under the rug somewhere in the hopes that, in their understandable
> grief, no one would notice; now that's really pathetic and low.

$250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.

Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
been held that day was cancelled).

It is not a clear-cut situation. According to Tom Armstrong elsewhere in this thread, the BMC $$ was
paid to the Nicole Reinhardt foundation - the question is: was it the women's or the women's *and*
the men's?
 
B

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> $250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.
>
> Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
> been held that day was cancelled).

That's why, unless they donated the money designated for the winner of all four men's races, they
should at least let Gord have a shot at it.

> It is not a clear-cut situation. According to Tom Armstrong elsewhere in this thread, the BMC $$
> was paid to the Nicole Reinhardt foundation
> - the question is: was it the women's or the women's *and* the men's?

Yup, that's really *the* question that needs answered.

Anyone?

- B.
 
K

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > $250,000 for the men was to have been paid if one rider won all 4 BMC races.
> >
> > Gord won 3 of those. There was no fourth because of NR's death (the men's race which was to have
> > been held that day was cancelled).
>
> That's why, unless they donated the money designated for the winner of all four men's races, they
> should at least let Gord have a shot at it.

I can't imagine that race being at all competitive.

Would the competition ride hard, knowing that if Gord won, $250,000 goes to the Reinhardt
Foundation?

No way.

BMC can't be criticized too much if they ponied up $250,000 instead of $500,000. Remember, the
women's race was contested and the winner was Tina Mayolo.
 
M

Myles

Guest
TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord AND
NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in everyones
eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........

Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event, held
prior to the mens on that same day.

It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....

Now I'm doing some recollecting.. The men's prize was never given away. The men's prize was never
awarded, as no one person won all 4 (5?) events due to the CANCELLATION of the last men's event..
Nor was another chance given for the men to race for said prize (in poor taste or not..). I think
that Gords' objections are valid (in poor taste or not). With the lawsuit, I honestly am not sure
if he is trying to a- get the money for himself, or b-get the money released to charity, or c-
**** people off and bring the whole situation to light.. I know that threshold sports has
suggested several times as a result of said lawsuit in many recent years that his team should
"leave him at home..".

My feeling on the matter is that if some company offered a bonus for winning 4, they should honor
it. Since 4 were never held, they either need to concede the bonus to the guy/girl that won 3, hold
another 4th race on another day, or tastefully donate the money to a mutually agreeable cause..
 
C

Casey Kerrigan

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, myles <[email protected]> wrote:

> TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord
> AND NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
> actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in
> everyones eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........
>
> Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event,
> held prior to the mens on that same day.
>
>
> It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
> started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....
>
> Now I'm doing some recollecting.. The men's prize was never given away. The men's prize was never
> awarded, as no one person won all 4 (5?) events due to the CANCELLATION of the last men's event..
> Nor was another chance given for the men to race for said prize (in poor taste or not..). I think
> that Gords' objections are valid (in poor taste or not). With the lawsuit, I honestly am not sure
> if he is trying to a- get the money for himself, or b-get the money released to charity, or c-
> **** people off and bring the whole situation to light.. I know that threshold sports has
> suggested several times as a result of said lawsuit in many recent years that his team should
> "leave him at home..".
>
> My feeling on the matter is that if some company offered a bonus for winning 4, they should
> honor it. Since 4 were never held, they either need to concede the bonus to the guy/girl that
> won 3, hold another 4th race on another day, or tastefully donate the money to a mutually
> agreeable cause..

Or offer to pay a pro-rated portion of the $250,000. It wasn't the rider's fault that the 4th race
in the series never happened and he never got a chance to try and win the $250,000. He did his part
by rigin in the 3 previous races and winning the three previous races. Isnt it kind of like a bait
and switch to say you will pay out $250,000 if someone wins all 4 races in the series and then for
what ever reason never hold the 4th race in the series?
 
M

Mike Murray

Guest
WRT the $250,000 under discussion; was this money actually there or was it only potentially there?
There are several companies that will insure this type of prize. It is like a hole in one prize at a
golf tournamnet. A huge amount of money can be offered if someone makes a hole in one on a specific
hole but the organizer of the event does not put up that amount of money. He pays a prize insurance
company a premium and that compoany pays out the prize only if someone wins it otherwise the prize
insurance comany keeps the premium. The prize insurance company makes money by guessing the risk
that someone will collect the prize and charging premiums appropriately.
--
Mike Murray
 
K

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
"myles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TO the best of my recollection (fuzzy at best..) a few more things went down... First both Gord
> AND NH won 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5, whatever, they had each won all save for the last race. NH
> actually started her race, and again from my recollection had broken clear of the field in
> everyones eyes to take the win barring tragedy...........
>
> Gord never got to start his race due to the horrible circumstances surronding the womens event,
> held prior to the mens on that same day.
>
>
> It was agreed that BMC would donate the WOMEN'S $250k to the NH foundation, which I believe was
> started on that same day.. Fitting since she would have won....

<snip>

Incorrect.

The race reached its conclusion and she did not win. She crashed herself out of the race.

It's not a nice way to think about it, but that's what happened.
 
J

John Forrest To

Guest
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_HgDa.31

> On the one hand, BMC did donate $250,000 when NR took herself out.
They did
> not have to since she did not win all 4 races.
>
> On the other hand, BMC did not hold a 4th race for the men. Hmmmph.
>
> Not a clear-cut situation and open for a legitimate
discussion/debate.

Agreed. But the excluding Healthnet from the Wachovia races because of the disagreement/lawsuit is
out and out wrong.

JT

--
*******************************************
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com
*******************************************
 
J

John Forrest To

Guest
Also,

A friend of mine sent a letter to Threshold criticizing something in one of their races a few years
ago (I don't remember about what exactly, but that's not the point). Threshold became very
defensive, sent her a response ragging all over her and copied it to a lot of industry leaders (she
had only written to them), and told her she couldn't enter any of their races, and that if her team
complained they wouldn't be able to race either. So she didn't race.

JT

--
*******************************************
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com
*******************************************
 
M

Myles

Guest
Interesting... I honestly don't know if there was 250k sitting in someones pocket to hand out to
gord et all.... I know that they found 250 for the NR foundation, but that's till 250k less than
they potentially needed..
 
M

Myles

Guest
Oh yeah? Check this shi$ out...

Million bucks on offer for Pro Cycling Tour Pro Cycling Tour organizer Threshold Sports has put up a
million dollar prize for any rider who can win the series' three top races: the Wachovia USPRO
Championship in Philadelphia on June 8; New York City Cycling Championship presented by BMC Software
on August 3; and the T-Mobile International, presented by BMC Software in San Francisco on September
14 (better known as the san Francisco GP).

The last rider to win a million dollar prize for a race series like this was a promising young
member of the Motorola team called Lance Armstrong. Armstrong won the Thrift Drug Triple Crown
including the equivalent of today's Wachovia USPRO Championship, then called the CoreStates USPRO
Championship, in Philadelphia.

Kind of makes you go "hmmmm.".

m
 
S

Steven L. Sheff

Guest
in article [email protected], Rik Van Diesel at
[email protected] wrote on 06/03/2003 06:15 PM:

> [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]oogle.com>...
>>
>
> I hope he wins the suit just so I can KICK HIS ASS when he doesn't give ALL the money to the
> Reinhart foundation. That was the suggestion at the time, and to say different would be a lie.
> Later I guess him and Wordin thought it would be better have the cash. What is even worse is if
> they had won the cash he would probably received less than $10k (If you believe Lance only got
> $30K of a million payout). And now if they get the $250k do you think they are going to send a
> check to

With Lance's $1M payout for winning the Triple Crown in 1993, there was an option ... an annuity
paying $50,000.00/year for 20 years, or an immediate payout of ~$650K (which would have been
expected to appreciate via investments to meet the $1M).

Since the pay-out was to be split amongst all members of the Motorola team at the time, the election
was for the $650K ... so it's not surprising that Lance's share of the prize money was only $30K.

Most state lotteries operate in this manner as well ... annual payouts over a lengthy period of time
totaling the "big money", or a whopping big immediate pay-out of a smaller sum of money.

You'd be surprised how many people go for the big money. I think I'd go for the annuity ... I'm
still young enough that the annuity makes more sense from an investment and tax perspective.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.