Gord v Cipo, round 1

Scott Hendricks

Guest
Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.

"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.
>
> Cipollini did not contest the sprint. (Last Lap Crash?)
>
> -T

UMM....Lieswyn said that the crash was behind him with 3k to
go. He had done his last pull for Gord (who won) and was
drifting back. He guessed he was around 60th, and that the
crash was behind him. He went on to say the 'Super' Mario
was in the front 20.

Other reports have Mario in the front 10 in the last few
miles, and just sat up the last time up the hill. They did
four 2.5 mile laps in Macon to finish the stage.

Gord said he was 20th over the hill the last time, and just
drilled it behind teammates all the way home from there.

Bottomline.... Gord won. Cipo pulled off. That means
he beat him.

RC

Originally posted by Ronde Chumpion
"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.
>
> Cipollini did not contest the sprint. (Last Lap Crash?)
>
> -T

UMM....Lieswyn said that the crash was behind him with 3k to
go. He had done his last pull for Gord (who won) and was
drifting back. He guessed he was around 60th, and that the
crash was behind him. He went on to say the 'Super' Mario
was in the front 20.

Other reports have Mario in the front 10 in the last few
miles, and just sat up the last time up the hill. They did
four 2.5 mile laps in Macon to finish the stage.

Gord said he was 20th over the hill the last time, and just
drilled it behind teammates all the way home from there.

Bottomline.... Gord won. Cipo pulled off. That means
he beat him.

RC

Sure, but there are lots of races where Cipo has sat up. What gord should want is to beat Cipo in a straight up sprint like Petacchi has, not to drop Cipo on a hill right before the finish. Congrats to Gord on the win, but it isn't terribly important for his sprinting resume.

"lazysegall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ronde Chumpion wrote:
> > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote
> > in message news:<[email protected]
> > .prodigy.com>...
> > > "Scott Hendricks" <[email protected]>
> > > wrote in message [email protected]:daa89b58.0404201-
> > > [email protected]...
> > >
> > > Cipollini did not contest the sprint. (Last Lap
> > > Crash?)
> > >
> > > -T
> > UMM....Lieswyn said that the crash was behind him with
> > 3k to go. He had done his last pull for Gord (who won)
> > and was drifting back. He guessed he was around 60th,
> > and that the crash was behind him. He went on to say
> > the 'Super' Mario was in the front 20. Other reports
> > have Mario in the front 10 in the last few miles, and
> > just sat up the last time up the hill. They did four
> > 2.5 mile laps in Macon to finish the stage. Gord said
> > he was 20th over the hill the last time, and just
> > drilled it behind teammates all the way home from
> > there. Bottomline.... Gord won. Cipo pulled off. That
> > means he beat him. RC
>

> Sure, but there are lots of races where Cipo has sat up.
> What gord should want is to beat Cipo in a straight up
> sprint like Petacchi has, not to drop Cipo on a hill right
> before the finish. Congrats to Gord on the win, but it
> isn't terribly important for his sprinting resume.

Neither is this race for Cipos' Dave

[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
> message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.
>
> Round 2 Score: Gord 1 Cipo 1

from velonews:

"It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after winning
stage 1, called the result one of the biggest of his
career. But that day's victory wasn't an outright test of
speed against the Italian superstar, as Cipollini had
fallen off the pace the fourth time over that course's
hilly cobble-section and was unable to contest the sprint.
This time around, on a flat finishing circuit, Cipollini
had no excuses - Fraser was simply the fastest, craftiest
man of the day."

Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's, but
it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat him heads
up, at least once.

In article <[email protected]>, Scott
Hendricks <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
> > message news:<[email protected]
> > le.com>...
> > > Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.
> >
> > Round 2 Score: Gord 1 Cipo 1
>
> from velonews:
>
> "It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after winning
> stage 1, called the result one of the biggest of his
> career. But that day's victory wasn't an outright test of
> speed against the Italian superstar, as Cipollini had
> fallen off the pace the fourth time over that course's
> hilly cobble-section and was unable to contest the sprint.
> This time around, on a flat finishing circuit, Cipollini
> had no excuses - Fraser was simply the fastest, craftiest
> man of the day."
>
> Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's, but
> it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat him heads
> up, at least once.

FWIW, in an uphill sprint like that Cipo would get beat by
at least several of the Euro sprinters.

-WG

Scott Hendricks wrote:

> [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
>>message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>>Well, round 1 is in the books. Score: Gord 1 Cipo 0.
>>
>>Round 2 Score: Gord 1 Cipo 1
>

> from velonews:
>
> "It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after winning
> stage 1, called the result one of the biggest of his
> career. But that day's victory wasn't an outright test of
> speed against the Italian superstar, as Cipollini had
> fallen off the pace the fourth time over that course's
> hilly cobble-section and was unable to contest the sprint.
> This time around, on a flat finishing circuit, Cipollini
> had no excuses - Fraser was simply the fastest, craftiest
> man of the day."
>
> Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's, but
> it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat him heads
> up, at least once.

Makes ya wonder why Cipo didn't show for the podium. I don't
think he wanted to stand on 3rd. He's Cipo, after all.

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Scott Hendricks wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
> >>message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Round 2 Score: Gord 1 Cipo 1
> >

> > from velonews:
> >
> > "It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after winning
> > stage 1, called the result one of the biggest of his
> > career. But that day's victory wasn't an outright test
> > of speed against the Italian superstar, as Cipollini had
> > fallen off the pace the fourth time over that course's
> > hilly cobble-section and was unable to contest the
> > sprint. This time around, on a flat finishing circuit,
> > Cipollini had no excuses - Fraser was simply the
> > fastest, craftiest man of the day."
> >
> > Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's,
> > but it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat him
> > heads up, at least once.
>

> Makes ya wonder why Cipo didn't show for the podium. I
> don't think he wanted to stand on 3rd. He's Cipo,
> after all.

Maybe because he didn't want the attention that would have
been given to him on the podium to take away from Gord's win
and his moment on the podium. Dave

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Scott Hendricks wrote:
> >
> > > [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in
> > > message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > from velonews:
> > >
> > > "It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after
> > > winning stage 1, called the result one of the biggest
> > > of his career. But that day's victory wasn't an
> > > outright test of speed against the Italian superstar,
> > > as Cipollini had fallen off the pace the fourth time
> > > over that course's hilly cobble-section and was unable
> > > to contest the sprint. This time around, on a flat
> > > finishing circuit, Cipollini had no excuses - Fraser
> > > was simply the fastest, craftiest man of the day."
> > >
> > > Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's,
> > > but it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat
> > > him heads up, at least once.
> >

> > Makes ya wonder why Cipo didn't show for the podium. I
> > don't think he wanted to stand on 3rd. He's Cipo,
> > after all.
>
> Maybe because he didn't want the attention that would have
> been given to him on the podium to take away from Gord's
> win and his moment on the podium.

And maybe he's planning on shaving his head and joining a
monastary.

The word here in Atlanta was that he actually thought he was
4th and didn't understand that he needed to head out. Don't
know if it's true or a convenient story but it's possible.

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Hendricks wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
> >>message
news:<[email protected]>...

"Randy Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<rwBjc.53944$IW1.3062963@attbi_s52>...
> The word here in Atlanta was that he actually thought he
> was 4th and didn't understand that he needed to head out.
> Don't know if it's true or a convenient story but it's
> possible.

From where I was standing, fourth place Ivan was not
anywhere near the top three (in relative terms.) The top
three riders were in a side by side drag race all the way to
the line and sprinters always know how they did when they
only can see two riders in front of them.

Cipo simply couldn't face a monster crowd after getting
whupped handily by Fraser. It was worth the fine to him. I'd
sure be ****** if I was his sponsor. Scott Matson

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Scott Hendricks wrote:
> >
> > > [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in
> > > message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > from velonews:
> > >
> > > "It was a monumental win for Fraser, who, after
> > > winning stage 1, called the result one of the biggest
> > > of his career. But that day's victory wasn't an
> > > outright test of speed against the Italian superstar,
> > > as Cipollini had fallen off the pace the fourth time
> > > over that course's hilly cobble-section and was unable
> > > to contest the sprint. This time around, on a flat
> > > finishing circuit, Cipollini had no excuses - Fraser
> > > was simply the fastest, craftiest man of the day."
> > >
> > > Yea, I know you can't compare Gord's record vs Cipo's,
> > > but it sure is nice to see him take him on and beat
> > > him heads up, at least once.
> >

> > Makes ya wonder why Cipo didn't show for the podium. I
> > don't think he wanted to stand on 3rd. He's Cipo,
> > after all.
>
> Maybe because he didn't want the attention that would have
> been given to him on the podium to take away from Gord's
> win and his moment on the podium. Dave

Dave,

I hope you're joking.

The best way for Cipo to have made Gord's moment special
would be to have stood next to him on the podium and let the
fans see that Gord had beaten arguably the greatest sprinter
of the current generation. Of course, I doubt Cipo thought
about it that way.

[email protected] (Scott) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Randy Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > The word here in Atlanta was that he actually thought he
> > was 4th and didn't understand that he needed to head
> > out. Don't know if it's true or a convenient story but
> > it's possible.
>
> From where I was standing, fourth place Ivan was not
> anywhere near the top three (in relative terms.) The top
> three riders were in a side by side drag race all the way
> to the line and sprinters always know how they did when
> they only can see two riders in front of them.
>
> Cipo simply couldn't face a monster crowd after getting
> whupped handily by Fraser. It was worth the fine to him.
> I'd sure be ****** if I was his sponsor.

Well, Specialized hasn't dumped him yet, and I figure
they're the primary reason the team was in Georgia, not to
promote the vacation resort in Egypt. (It works out for
Cipo's Giro training, but he could have done that
elsewhere.) Fans will mostly remember the gracious Lion King
as he signed autographs and won a sprint and flashed his
charismatic smile. I doubt many will think harshly of him
for missing a 3rd spot on the podium presentation.

I think Specialized got publicity in spades. They've been
trying to get him over to the US for years to do publicity
tours (he skipped out on one an LBS was hosting.)