Gordon Brown, the cyclists' friend?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least polluting
    cars to zero.

    So do we have the perfect answer to the moronic petrolheads whinge about
    cyclists not paying 'road tax' after all, cyclists do indeed comply with the
    zero pollution elements...

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:10:49 -0000, "wafflycat"
    <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least polluting
    >cars to zero.

    Hah! Fantastic :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:10:49 -0000, "wafflycat"
    > <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> said in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least
    >>polluting
    >>cars to zero.

    > Hah! Fantastic :)
    >
    > Guy

    Just had a look at the actual Treasury document :-

    "* a new higher band of graduated VED (band G), set at £210 for petrol cars,
    will be introduced for the most polluting new cars (those above 225g of
    carbon dioxide emissions per kilometre);

    * the VED rate for the small number of cars with the very lowest carbon
    emissions (band A) will be reduced to £0 to encourage take-up and assist the
    development of the low carbon car market;

    * VED rates will also be reduced for band B by £35 and C by £5, frozen for
    bands D and E, and increased by £25 for band F;

    * rates for pre-2001 registered cars and light goods vehicles in the lower
    band will be frozen with the higher band increased by £5;

    * the reduced rate of graduated VED for alternative fuel cars will be
    extended to include those cars manufactured to run on high blend bioethanol
    (E85); and

    * In total, 50 per cent of cars will see their VED frozen or reduced.Three
    million cars will pay VED of £100 or less."

    So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious way, but
    most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the petrolheaded morons that
    they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they choose to drive a vehicle with the
    very lowest carbon emissions...

    Cheers, helen s

  4. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious way, but
    > most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the petrolheaded morons
    > that they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they choose to drive a vehicle
    > with the very lowest carbon emissions...

    But are we even classed in band A? I've had a hunt, and we're not even on
    the scale as far as I can see.

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious way,
    >> but most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the petrolheaded
    >> morons that they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they choose to drive a
    >> vehicle with the very lowest carbon emissions...
    >>

    > But are we even classed in band A? I've had a hunt, and we're not even on
    > the scale as far as I can see.

    Is not the point.

    The point is there will be cars for which the owner does not have to pay
    'road tax' to have on the road.. which effectively puts to an end any vague
    link between 'road tax' giving the 'right' to be on the road as put forward
    by moronic petrolheads.

    Cheers, helen s

  6. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least
    > polluting cars to zero.

    For band A, up to 100g/km CO2 - how many vehicle models do you think
    that covers? Precisely none in todays list of available cars.

    The new higher band G for over 225g/km starts with the Audi TT Coupe,
    the Skoda Superb 1.8 and the VW Passat 1.8 and continues with the Volvo
    S60, the VW Beetle, the Vauxhall Astra 2.0i, the Peugeot 407 SW 2.2.

    --
    Matt B

  7. wafflycat wrote:
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious
    >>> way, but most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the
    >>> petrolheaded morons that they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they
    >>> choose to drive a vehicle with the very lowest carbon emissions...
    >>>

    >> But are we even classed in band A? I've had a hunt, and we're not
    >> even on the scale as far as I can see.

    > Is not the point.
    >
    > The point is there will be cars for which the owner does not have to
    > pay 'road tax' to have on the road.. which effectively puts to an end
    > any vague link between 'road tax' giving the 'right' to be on the
    > road as put forward by moronic petrolheads.

    Excellent. I'll try shouting this exchange at the next driver who excuses
    intimidating me whilst I'm on my bike with the 'Road Tax' canard.
    --
    Ambrose

  8. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    elyob wrote:

    >"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious way, but
    >> most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the petrolheaded morons
    >> that they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they choose to drive a vehicle
    >> with the very lowest carbon emissions...
    >>

    >But are we even classed in band A? I've had a hunt, and we're not even on
    >the scale as far as I can see.

    No, cyclists never had to pay vehicle excise duty.

    Vehicles over twenty five years old and holders of disabled badges are
    also exempt from VED so those drivers of don't pay "road tax" either.
    Personally I'd like to see VED abolished and the taxation transferred
    to a motor insurance tax. That way those with the most expensive cars
    and or bad driving would pay more.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Vehicles over twenty five years old and holders of disabled badges are
    > also exempt from VED so those drivers of don't pay "road tax" either.

    Actually it's on vehicles registered before 1st January 1973 - it was
    changed in March 1998.

    Every establishment needs an opposition.

  10. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> So probably useless in terms of reducing pollution in any serious way, but
    >>> most excellent for we cyclists, as we can tell the petrolheaded morons
    >>> that they too, need not pay 'road tax' if they choose to drive a vehicle
    >>> with the very lowest carbon emissions...
    >>>

    >> But are we even classed in band A? I've had a hunt, and we're not even on
    >> the scale as far as I can see.

    > No, cyclists never had to pay vehicle excise duty.
    >
    > Vehicles over twenty five years old

    No, that was abolished in 1998. Only cars first registered before 1973
    are zero VED now.

    --
    Matt B

  11. Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    > ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >> Vehicles over twenty five years old and holders of disabled badges
    >> are also exempt from VED so those drivers of don't pay "road tax"
    >> either.

    > Actually it's on vehicles registered before 1st January 1973 - it was
    > changed in March 1998.

    Good job, too, since otherwise plenty of cars registered on 31st December
    1980 could easily be made tolerably cheap, reliable and comfortable, and
    then where would we be? Somewhere where the car was diminished as a status
    symbol? Somewhere where we aren't a net exporter of cars.
    --
    Ambrose

  12. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least
    >> polluting cars to zero.

    > For band A, up to 100g/km CO2 - how many vehicle models do you think that
    > covers? Precisely none in todays list of available cars.
    >
    > The new higher band G for over 225g/km starts with the Audi TT Coupe, the
    > Skoda Superb 1.8 and the VW Passat 1.8 and continues with the Volvo S60,
    > the VW Beetle, the Vauxhall Astra 2.0i, the Peugeot 407 SW 2.2.

    <car nerd>

    There's no such thing as a VW Passat 1.8 these days. I believe the 1.8
    you're referring to is the 1.8 turbo, ie the high power one in the range.
    Ditto on the skoda. Beetle too. 407 SW 2.2 is not in band G - 219g/km, it's
    the V6 which is. The astra is the higher powered turbo version. The Volvo is
    the autoboxed bigger engined version too - even the normal T5 misses it.

    So your attempt to make out that normal cars fall into this band falls flat
    on its face.

    </car nerd>

    clive

  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > The point is there will be cars for which the owner does not have to pay
    > 'road tax' to have on the road.. which effectively puts to an end any
    > vague link between 'road tax' giving the 'right' to be on the road as
    > put forward by moronic petrolheads.

    I suspect that most moronic petrolheads who use this argument drive cars
    that attract VED, so they will merely add the great unwashed,
    sandal-wearing tree-huggers, and eco-terrorists, to their basket of
    those who don't deserve the right to be on the road.

    R.

  14. POHB

    POHB Guest

    > The point is there will be cars for which the owner does not have to pay
    > 'road tax' to have on the road.. which effectively puts to an end any
    > vague link between 'road tax' giving the 'right' to be on the road as put
    > forward by moronic petrolheads.

    Yay!

    Or perhaps the thinking will go that bigger more polluting vehicles have
    more right to be on the road than little green cars. That would explain
    some observed behaviour.

  15. Matt B <[email protected]> writes:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least
    >> polluting cars to zero.

    > For band A, up to 100g/km CO2 - how many vehicle models do you think
    > that covers? Precisely none in todays list of available cars.

    The Prius is close. 104g/k. Seems like an incentive to get it a bit
    lower to me.

    "Would the God who had made one of his top ten rules
    Thou Shalt Not Kill really encourage people to go to war?"
    Richard Herring

  16. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Keith Willoughby wrote:

    >Matt B <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> wafflycat wrote:
    >>> According to the BBC news site, Gordo has reduced VED on the least
    >>> polluting cars to zero.

    >> For band A, up to 100g/km CO2 - how many vehicle models do you think
    >> that covers? Precisely none in todays list of available cars.

    >The Prius is close. 104g/k. Seems like an incentive to get it a bit
    >lower to me.

    But, let's face it, would you really want to be seen driving a car
    /that/ ugly?

  17. Phil Cook wrote:

    > But, let's face it, would you really want to be seen driving a car
    > /that/ ugly?

    All modern cars are ugly -- it seems to be a design prerequisite these days.

  18. Phil Cook <[email protected]> writes:

    > Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >
    >>Matt B <[email protected]> writes:

    >>> For band A, up to 100g/km CO2 - how many vehicle models do you think
    >>> that covers? Precisely none in todays list of available cars.

    >>The Prius is close. 104g/k. Seems like an incentive to get it a bit
    >>lower to me.

    > But, let's face it, would you really want to be seen driving a car
    > /that/ ugly?

    I'm not sure I would want to be seen driving any car. They're all pretty
    ugly, when you get down to it. The ones outputting the least crap are
    probably the least ugly, though.

    Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
    Everybody knows that the captain lied

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Just had a look at the actual Treasury document :-

    As posted El Swear:

    Here are the results from the "Protecting The Environment" section:

    - the word 'car' or 'cars' is mentioned 43 times, with another 16
    instances of 'vehicle';

    - 'charge', 'tax' and 'levy' occur a total of 108 times, whilst
    'invest', 'grant' and 'rebate' manage 5 mentions;

    - 'bus', 'coach', 'buses', 'train', 'rail', 'railway', 'walk', 'walking'
    and 'cycling' occur not one single time;

    - 'cycle' gets one single mention, referring to a 2001 measure which
    reduced the rate of VAT for ... cycle helmets!

    Draw your own conclusions...

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  20. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:10:50 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

    >Excellent. I'll try shouting this exchange at the next driver who excuses
    >intimidating me whilst I'm on my bike with the 'Road Tax' canard.

    Stick a sign on your back which says "BAND A". Good name for a band -
    anyone here play the drums? Or are we all musical? <ducks>