gore tex agida

ilaboo

Guest
got my first gore-tex jacket-has a hood--typical ny winter day with t
shirt--paper shirt 2 log sleeve turtlenecks and one wool sweater--froze my
ass off

what is it with gore-tex?--am i missing something--it was a lands end and
had gore-tex lable--maybe it was a counterfit

is gore tex cold?--like lets all body heat out?

any comments please
tia
peter

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:12:06 +0000, ilaboo wrote:

> got my first gore-tex jacket-has a hood--typical ny winter day with t
> shirt--paper shirt 2 log sleeve turtlenecks and one wool sweater--froze
> my ass off
>
> what is it with gore-tex?--am i missing something--it was a lands end
> and had gore-tex lable--maybe it was a counterfit
>
> is gore tex cold?--like lets all body heat out?
>
> any comments please
> tia
> peter

GoreTex Blocks wind and rain while letting sweat out.
It has NO insulation of its own. Layer it with fleece
or polypropylene base layers.

"ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> got my first gore-tex jacket-has a hood--typical ny winter day with t
> shirt--paper shirt 2 log sleeve turtlenecks and one wool sweater--froze my
> ass off

Am I reading that right? You wore 2 long sleeved turtleneck shirts plus a "t
shirt--paper shirt" (whatever that is) AND a wool sweater? Did you buy the
jacket in a XXL to get all of that stuff underneath it?

And what is a "typical ny winter day"? I am in North Texas where it was 38
degrees F with with blowing 35-40 mph. Is that like a typical ny winter day?
Just wondering. Is it windy where you are?

I wore my Patagonia R4 fleece jacket that I bought 3 years ago over a
long-sleeved tee shirt. No problemo!

Pat in TX

In article <GX_8j.2290$Xh1.1738@trndny03>,
"ilaboo" <[email protected]> writes:
> got my first gore-tex jacket-

You rookie.

Enjoy spending yer money.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

paper shirt is disposable operating room shirt
fleece at least in montana was useless

yes lots of wind in new york, very moist weather --not to fool with

jacket is well make--seems to have some sort of insulation
but useless

i suspect thhat gorte-tex in reality is motly open space--question about it
to gore is pending

take care
peter
"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> got my first gore-tex jacket-has a hood--typical ny winter day with t
>> shirt--paper shirt 2 log sleeve turtlenecks and one wool sweater--froze
>> my ass off

> Am I reading that right? You wore 2 long sleeved turtleneck shirts plus a
> "t shirt--paper shirt" (whatever that is) AND a wool sweater? Did you buy
> the jacket in a XXL to get all of that stuff underneath it?
>
> And what is a "typical ny winter day"? I am in North Texas where it was 38
> degrees F with with blowing 35-40 mph. Is that like a typical ny winter
> day? Just wondering. Is it windy where you are?
>
> I wore my Patagonia R4 fleece jacket that I bought 3 years ago over a
> long-sleeved tee shirt. No problemo!
>
> Pat in TX

rookie my ass!

just believed all the hype

take care

peter

news:[email protected]...

In article <cz99j.3951$6X.2974@trndny06>,
"ilaboo" <[email protected]> writes:
> rookie my ass!
>
> just believed all the hype
>
> take care
>
> peter
>
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <GX_8j.2290$Xh1.1738@trndny03>,
>> "ilaboo" <[email protected]> writes:
>>> got my first gore-tex jacket-

>> You rookie.
>>
>> Enjoy spending yer money.

> What hype?

GoreTex[tm] purports/implies to be waterproof
without being all hot & sweaty inside their
expensive clothing. Might as well deflate
yer wallet at Hellie Hanson.

You don't have to spend top dollar to ride
comfortably & dry in the rain.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Man....I have been riding for the better part of 20 years. On a
REGULAR basis. Longer than that if you include when I was a 5 year
old.

In any case, I have been riding all rhis time and I have NEVER bought
any type of Gore-tex to wear. Nor have I bought the "spandex". I
just figured it was way to over-priced. I am sure that it does have
it's uses. But as for me I'll simply wear shorts and a t-shirt in the
summer and layer up in the winter. Much easier in the cold Nebraska
winters to do that than to try the "latest" things.

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:15:45 GMT, "ilaboo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>paper shirt is disposable operating room shirt
>fleece at least in montana was useless
>
>yes lots of wind in new york, very moist weather --not to fool with
>
>jacket is well make--seems to have some sort of insulation
>but useless
>
>i suspect thhat gorte-tex in reality is motly open space--question about it
>to gore is pending
>
>take care
>peter
>"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> got my first gore-tex jacket-has a hood--typical ny winter day with t
>>> shirt--paper shirt 2 log sleeve turtlenecks and one wool sweater--froze
>>> my ass off

>> Am I reading that right? You wore 2 long sleeved turtleneck shirts plus a
>> "t shirt--paper shirt" (whatever that is) AND a wool sweater? Did you buy
>> the jacket in a XXL to get all of that stuff underneath it?
>>
>> And what is a "typical ny winter day"? I am in North Texas where it was 38
>> degrees F with with blowing 35-40 mph. Is that like a typical ny winter
>> day? Just wondering. Is it windy where you are?
>>
>> I wore my Patagonia R4 fleece jacket that I bought 3 years ago over a
>> long-sleeved tee shirt. No problemo!
>>
>> Pat in TX

harry

i never did ahve any thing bike to wear just jeans and a jacket and gloves,,
havre, Montana

now that i am back to new york city wear it's impossible to describe but
tons of bikeres in groups looking like a moving nashbar or performance
ad--funny as hell

peter
news:eek:[email protected]...

> harry
>
> i never did ahve any thing bike to wear just jeans and a jacket and
> gloves,, havre, Montana
>
> now that i am back to new york city wear it's impossible to describe but
> tons of bikeres in groups looking like a moving nashbar or performance
> ad--funny as hell
>
> peter

One reason people wear flashy clothes is to make themselves more easily
visible to inattentive car and truck drivers. Jeans and a dark jackets just
don't get the job done.

BTW: what is "agida"?

Pat in TX

I wear jeans and usually a light colored coat. I also have TONS of
lights and other reflective material along with flags that make me
visible. Yes I do understand that the colors are bright and can be
seen. But I can get the very same effect by using other items.

I am 50 years old ((young)) and, quite frankly, don't think I would
look all that attractive in spandex shorts. I'll stick to what I have
been wearing for all these years and I'll pay a little more attention
to traffic myself. I feel safer that way.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:10:21 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> harry
>>
>> i never did ahve any thing bike to wear just jeans and a jacket and
>> gloves,, havre, Montana
>>
>> now that i am back to new york city wear it's impossible to describe but
>> tons of bikeres in groups looking like a moving nashbar or performance
>> ad--funny as hell
>>
>> peter

>One reason people wear flashy clothes is to make themselves more easily
>visible to inattentive car and truck drivers. Jeans and a dark jackets just
>don't get the job done.
>
>BTW: what is "agida"?
>
>Pat in TX

agida is an italian word means stomach acid but ususlly used for aggravation
( very loose translation)
used like he gives me agida--or that place gives me agida
or she is nothing but agida

hth