Goretex Shoes

John Barry

Guest
After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
things?

John Barry wrote:
> After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
> ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
> lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
> job.

Your definition of "good job" is my definition of bleedin' 'orrible
sweatboxes I much prefer to avoid...

> Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
> things?

Thing about overshoes is you can take them off when you don't want your
feet boiled alive. Many cycling shoes are designed with ventilation
quite high on the feature list, and you throw that straight out the
window if you put a goretex liner in.

Also the case that it won't stop the water that goes in through the
holes, and without the holes you won't get your feet inside! So if you
get water draining down your legs (which you probably will unless you're
in full overtrousers going over the top of an extended cuff or you're
wearing gaiters) then you'll still get wet feet, /and/ they'll take much
longer to dry thanks to your miracle membrane.
I've never been convinced that sewing goretex into footwear represents a
good piece of design, to be honest. You're stuck with it unless you
carry spare shoes, and if it holes then you have all the disadvantages
of a sweaty membrane coupled with them leaking anyway. There's a good
reason why cyclists don't ride in Goretex 100% of the time and that's
because it's less comfortable than alternatives if it isn't sheeting it
down. I don't see that shoes are any different, but they don't pack up
into a pocket so well.

For a wet summer ride I much prefer Shimano SD-60 cycling sandals. Your
feet get wet straight away, but it doesn't matter much and they dry
straight out as soon as the rain stops.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

John Barry <[email protected]> wrote:
: After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
: ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
: lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
: job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
: things?

Shimano W101 winter boots are pretty much waterproof.

In spring/summer/autumn, goretex is too hot for cycling.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

John Barry wrote:

> After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to
> me to ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes.

Because feet dry quicker and SPD sandals already exist? Just guessing...

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Noooooo!

I bought a pair once. One developed the tiniest hole, and by the
time I got to work my left foot was immersed in a bag of water.

IMHO Overshoes are a much better idea, though they're a bugger to get on.

TB

John Barry wrote:

> After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
> ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
> lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
> job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
> things?

[email protected] schreef ...
> Noooooo!
>
> I bought a pair once. One developed the tiniest hole, and by the
> time I got to work my left foot was immersed in a bag of water.
>
> IMHO Overshoes are a much better idea, though they're a bugger to get on.

Try Vaude's (if you can get hold of them in the UK). They're really easy
to slip on. BTW: these are not neoprene overshoes, but made from the
same material as raintrouser, only thicker.

--
Regards,
Marten

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:38:42 +0100, tom bender <[email protected]> wrote:

> Noooooo!
>
> I bought a pair once. One developed the tiniest hole, and by the
> time I got to work my left foot was immersed in a bag of water.
>
> IMHO Overshoes are a much better idea, though they're a bugger to get on.
>
> TB
>
> John Barry wrote:
>
>> After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me
>> ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty
>> of
>> lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
>> job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and
>> other
>> things?

SPD sandals are much better - no problems at all. Feet dry out in minutes.

--

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Julian Symondson <[email protected]> wrote:

: SPD sandals are much better - no problems at all. Feet dry out in minutes.

They would be, except that you have to wear socks with them in all but the
hotest of days. This is a very, very, very bad thing.

--

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Julian Symondson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> SPD sandals are much better - no problems at all. Feet dry out in minutes.

> They would be, except that you have to wear socks with them in all but the
> hotest of days. This is a very, very, very bad thing.

Not for long it won't be. I gather his Beckhamship was spotted wearing socks
and sandals in Portugal so expect it to become the pinnacle of fashion very
shortly.

Tony ;-)

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

: Not for long it won't be. I gather his Beckhamship was spotted wearing socks
: and sandals in Portugal so expect it to become the pinnacle of fashion very
: shortly.

I doubt even Becks can overcome the sheer horror of socks and sandals. At least,
I hope so.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Not for long it won't be. I gather his Beckhamship was spotted wearing

socks
> : and sandals in Portugal so expect it to become the pinnacle of fashion very
> : shortly.
>
> I doubt even Becks can overcome the sheer horror of socks and sandals. At

least,
> I hope so.

Careful Arthur. Take on the role of fashion police and you'll end up as
Fabrizio Mazzoleni...:)
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Arthur Clune wrote:

> They would be, except that you have to wear socks with them in all but the
> hotest of days. This is a very, very, very bad thing.

I use mine more than my Rockhoppers, and the only socks that have ever
"graced" them are Sealskinz or Porelles on rare occasions (pop them in
the pannier in case it gets too cold).

But by working at acclimatising your feet over time they get quite a bit
hardier. If socks and shoes are only used when they need to be, rather
than by default (this on day to day basis, not just on the bike), feet
get quite a bit hardier and the sandals (with no socks) work over a much
longer range. Useful results include less smelly, much tougher feet
which hurt less when they /do/ get cold, and greater relative effect
from things like overshoes come the real winter.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> John Barry <[email protected]> wrote:
> : After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
> : ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
> : lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
> : job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
> : things?
>
> Shimano W101 winter boots are pretty much waterproof.
>
> In spring/summer/autumn, goretex is too hot for cycling.

/me looks out of window at blustering wind, gusts up to 45mph, and the
driving rain.

Apparently, you know, it's summer right now. I just three hours with
almost my full winter kit on :( the only thing missing was the endura
waterproof overtrousers (just too chunky to ride energetically).

--
Callas

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:08:43 -0700, John Barry wrote:

> After getting saturated on a charity ride yesterday, it occurred to me to
> ask why nobody seems to make Goretex cycling shoes. After all, plenty of
> lightweight Goretex-lined walking boots are available and they do a good
> job. Surely a cycling equivalent would be better than overshoes and other
> things?

They do make gore-tex socks. You could wear these in your regular shoes.
Or you could wear gaiters outside your shoes.

AC

anonymous coward:
> They do make gore-tex socks. You could wear these in your regular shoes.
> Or you could wear gaiters outside your shoes.

I have been known to wear Goretex hiking socks when out on my bike, but only
if it's *very* cold and only because I don't own a set of neoprene overshoes
(that is something that will be rectified before the next winter - or sooner
if this weather keeps up).

d.