gortex vs. MEC rainwear for touring

I'm guessing you're a fellow canadian since you mention MEC. Answer. YES. They have quality products. Usually without the high price associated with the big brand names. Just have a look at the actual product and do a quick inspection. You'll notice that it's up there in value and quality. Been shopping there since the mid 80's.

As per the above poster, MEC has a good reputation.

On the other hand they put a giant MEC label on almost everything they sell and you can't get decent brand names (at least you can't for cycling stuff) in their store anymore. I rarely go there and when I do buy something the first thing I do is pick that giant MEC label off.

I also don't think their prices are so hot either. Try the outfitters just across the street - it's not as nicely set up as the MEC store but they've got tons of stuff in there.

They still sell name brand cycling stuff. I was there last week. They had Castelli and Descente gear on the racks. I don't find their MEC logo to be over the top at all. In fact, quite low key IMO.

And yes. The store across the street "Europe Bound" would be worth the look as well. Besides their terrible customer service, the prices can be very good.