Gosh, that's quick

Helen C Simmons

Guest
Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
doesn't it!

Keeping this vaguely on topic. Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't enhance
cycling at all :(

Cheers, helen s

--
remove dependence on fame & fortune
to get correct email address

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
> doesn't it!

It doesn't speed up the reading of them, though. Have fun catching up,
and welcome back.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
> doesn't it!

Assuming the 4 week wait for BT to locate their posterior with both (Or
more) hands isn't included! ;-)

Welcome back!

> Keeping this vaguely on topic. Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't
> enhance cycling at all :(

Oof. You just need to sprint more, until the pain in the legs masks the
pain in the mouth!

Jon

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It doesn't speed up the reading of them, though. Have fun catching up,
> and welcome back.

Thanks. You are correct - it doesn't speed the reading, but I have been
keeping an eye on it by reading the stuff on google groups. Now I'm back on
my own PC, braodband enabled... but with only 1MB and not the 2MB we are
supposed to have...

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't enhance
> cycling at all :(

We've missed you. A true case of abcess makes the heart grow fonder..

(well, someone had to..)

...d

"Helen C Simmons" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
> doesn't it!
>
> Keeping this vaguely on topic. Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't
> enhance cycling at all :(

Bet you missed the entire thread I started about your whereabouts ;)

Helen C Simmons wrote:

> Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
> doesn't it!

Ridiculously quick, but it's funny how you get used to dial-up again
if/when you have to go back it (wot I'm normally on).

Welcome back! Don't worry, there has been absolutely no discussion on b*b
shorts in your abscess... er, absense ;-)

ps. Hope your jaw gets better in broadband speed!

~PB

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> We've missed you. A true case of abcess makes the heart grow fonder..
>
> (well, someone had to..)
>
> ..d

And where else would one go to get such, err.... wit!

Cheers, helen s

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Helen C Simmons wrote:
>
>> Having broadband makes the downloading of posts quicker than dial-up,
>> doesn't it!

> Ridiculously quick, but it's funny how you get used to dial-up again
> if/when you have to go back it (wot I'm normally on).

I've been using a slow dial-up account on a different machine and yes, you
get used to it. But it is a PITA!

> Welcome back! Don't worry, there has been absolutely no discussion on b*b
> shorts in your abscess... er, absense ;-)

Thank you, but as regards b*bs..fibber ;-)

> ps. Hope your jaw gets better in broadband speed!
>
> ~PB

Just waiting for my appointment with a humane dentist to come through to
have the offending item removed from my jaw.

Cheers, helen s

elyob wrote:

> Bet you missed the entire thread I started about your whereabouts ;)

Was that the one about bloody-mindedness ;-)

John B

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:53:03 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Helen C
Simmons" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote this:-

>I've been using a slow dial-up account on a different machine and yes, you
>get used to it. But it is a PITA!

I'm sure a web based interface to Usenet, like Google, is painfully
slow on a dial-up system. It isn't so much of a problem with a
proper newsreader, though with broadband the headers and bodies of
messages do arrive much faster. Replies go off immediately, which is
sometimes not good:)

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Martin wrote:

> We've missed you.

....and don't forget that Nathan chap.

John B

In message <[email protected]>, David Hansen
<[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:53:03 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Helen C
>Simmons" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote this:-
>
>>I've been using a slow dial-up account on a different machine and yes, you
>>get used to it. But it is a PITA!

>I'm sure a web based interface to Usenet, like Google, is painfully
>slow on a dial-up system. It isn't so much of a problem with a
>proper newsreader, though with broadband the headers and bodies of
>messages do arrive much faster.

Though on BB I continue to use an offline newsreader, which downloads
complete messages every ten minutes or so, so don't notice any
difference in that aspect.

>Replies go off immediately, which is
>sometimes not good:)

Mine wait in the aforesaid newsreaders outbox for a wee bit before
being sent, been useful on more than one occasions.....
--
Chris French

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't
> enhance cycling at all :(

Wear a helmet - they prevent 88% of all head injuries and are much
cheaper than those dentist chappies, assuming you can find one. ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> Helen C Simmons wrote:
>> Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't enhance cycling at all :(
>>

> Wear a helmet - they prevent 88% of all head injuries and are much cheaper
> than those dentist chappies, assuming you can find one. ;-)

I'll have you know I couldn't get the h*lm*t on my jaw was so swollen!

BAH!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Helen C Simmons wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Helen C Simmons wrote:
> >> Having an abscess in the jaw doesn't enhance cycling at all :(
> >>

> > Wear a helmet - they prevent 88% of all head injuries and are much cheaper
> > than those dentist chappies, assuming you can find one. ;-)
> >

> I'll have you know I couldn't get the h*lm*t on my jaw was so swollen!
>
> BAH!
>
> Cheers, helen s ;-)

I thought these contraptions are supposed to prevent leg-injuries too?
So actual position might not be to critical ;)
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

"Helen C Simmons" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks. You are correct - it doesn't speed the reading, but I have been
> keeping an eye on it by reading the stuff on google groups. Now I'm back
> on my own PC, braodband enabled... but with only 1MB and not the 2MB we
> are supposed to have...

Ah, like us, you'll be in the sticks. I think BT say 2MB if it's possible,
otherwise you get slower.

I think it's pretty darn impressive that I get even 1MB down such a crappy
piece of wire, so I'm not too unhappy :)

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Helen C Simmons" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Thanks. You are correct - it doesn't speed the reading, but I have been
>> keeping an eye on it by reading the stuff on google groups. Now I'm back
>> on my own PC, braodband enabled... but with only 1MB and not the 2MB we
>> are supposed to have...

> Ah, like us, you'll be in the sticks. I think BT say 2MB if it's possible,
> otherwise you get slower.
>
> I think it's pretty darn impressive that I get even 1MB down such a crappy
> piece of wire, so I'm not too unhappy :)
>
> cheers,
> clive

Oh we are close enough to the exchange for 2MB - it's literally a few
hundred yards away!

Cheers, helen s

"helen s" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oh we are close enough to the exchange for 2MB - it's literally a few
> hundred yards away!

Oh well, they just hate you then :)

cheers,
clive