Gosport Cycle track?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by JBB, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. JBB

    JBB Guest

    Help. I'm looking at using this but can't seem to find a map or even
    information as to where it starts and ends. Can anyone help please?
    Thanks
    Julia

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

  3. JBB

    JBB Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JBB wrote:
    >
    > > Help. I'm looking at using this but can't seem to find a map or even
    > > information as to where it starts and ends. Can anyone help please?

    > Do you mean at the Mountbatten centre in Portsmouth? It will probably

    start

    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=576
    > /url>
    >
    > Or here:
    >
    > http://qurl.com/xpseus

    No - but thanks anyway! I mean the route along the old railway; starts
    somewhere near fareham; finishes somewhere in Gosport.

    Julia

  4. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    JBB wrote:

    > No - but thanks anyway! I mean the route along the old railway; starts
    > somewhere near fareham; finishes somewhere in Gosport.

    I'm not sure about the Fareham end but ISTR from the last time I used it
    [1] it started at the old Gosport Railway Station. I recall it going
    through a lot of housing and being strewn with glass.
    [1] early this year, but my main destination was the excellent Queen's
    Hotel :))

    I think HCC spent a fair amount upgrading parts this year.

    John B

  5. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > JBB wrote:
    >

    >>No - but thanks anyway! I mean the route along the old railway; starts
    >>somewhere near fareham; finishes somewhere in Gosport.

    > I'm not sure about the Fareham end but ISTR from the last time I used it
    > [1] it started at the old Gosport Railway Station. I recall it going
    > through a lot of housing and being strewn with glass.
    > [1] early this year, but my main destination was the excellent Queen's
    > Hotel :))
    >
    > I think HCC spent a fair amount upgrading parts this year.
    >
    > John B

    Ask at Gosport Police station, they know it very well, what with yoof's
    on motor scooters and it being a favoured escape route for burglers...

  6. On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:06:25 +0100, "JBB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> JBB wrote:
    >>
    >> > Help. I'm looking at using this but can't seem to find a map or even
    >> > information as to where it starts and ends. Can anyone help please?

    >> Do you mean at the Mountbatten centre in Portsmouth? It will probably

    >start
    >> again once the clocks change, if it hasn't started already. Enquiries on
    >> (023) 9266 5122.
    >>
    >> Map here:
    >>
    >> <url:
    >>

    >http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=576
    >> /url>
    >>
    >> Or here:
    >>
    >> http://qurl.com/xpseus
    >>

    >No - but thanks anyway! I mean the route along the old railway; starts
    >somewhere near fareham; finishes somewhere in Gosport.
    >
    >Julia

    Fareham is my nearst town so I really ought to know this but I don't.
    I've cycled through Fareham and down to Gosport enough times but I've
    never used the cycleway that I know exists on the old munitions line.
    I once cycled over it on a bridge but couldn't see how to get down to
    it.

    I do know a couple of things about it, though. Firstly, it never
    reaches Fareham. Gosport paid for their half to be converted from
    railway to cycleway but Fareham declined. Somewhere near HMS Sultan it
    has a signalised crossing of a road. Not a toucan but a full on set of
    traffic lights. Never heard of that on a cycleway before.

    Whether you use the cycleway or not, it's a good area for cycling.
    Fareham, Gosport and Pompey are all flat and relatively benign in
    terms of motor traffic. If it's recreational cycling you're after,
    head out north past Fareham and you're into spectacularly good cycling
    country.

  7. Mike Murphy

    Mike Murphy Guest

  8. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    > Fareham is my nearst town so I really ought to know this but I don't.
    > I've cycled through Fareham and down to Gosport enough times but I've
    > never used the cycleway that I know exists on the old munitions line.
    > I once cycled over it on a bridge but couldn't see how to get down to
    > it.
    >
    > I do know a couple of things about it, though. Firstly, it never
    > reaches Fareham. Gosport paid for their half to be converted from
    > railway to cycleway but Fareham declined. Somewhere near HMS Sultan it
    > has a signalised crossing of a road. Not a toucan but a full on set of
    > traffic lights. Never heard of that on a cycleway before.
    >
    > Whether you use the cycleway or not, it's a good area for cycling.
    > Fareham, Gosport and Pompey are all flat and relatively benign in
    > terms of motor traffic. If it's recreational cycling you're after,
    > head out north past Fareham and you're into spectacularly good cycling
    > country.

    The munitions line is still retained and maintained as far as Frater
    IIRC, though the weed growth might make you think otherwise....

  9. JBB

    JBB Guest

    "njf>badger< badger" <"njf"@soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Fareham is my nearst town so I really ought to know this but I don't.
    > > I've cycled through Fareham and down to Gosport enough times but I've
    > > never used the cycleway that I know exists on the old munitions line.
    > > I once cycled over it on a bridge but couldn't see how to get down to
    > > it.
    > >
    > > I do know a couple of things about it, though. Firstly, it never
    > > reaches Fareham. Gosport paid for their half to be converted from
    > > railway to cycleway but Fareham declined. Somewhere near HMS Sultan it
    > > has a signalised crossing of a road. Not a toucan but a full on set of
    > > traffic lights. Never heard of that on a cycleway before.
    > >
    > > Whether you use the cycleway or not, it's a good area for cycling.
    > > Fareham, Gosport and Pompey are all flat and relatively benign in
    > > terms of motor traffic. If it's recreational cycling you're after,
    > > head out north past Fareham and you're into spectacularly good cycling
    > > country.

    > The munitions line is still retained and maintained as far as Frater
    > IIRC, though the weed growth might make you think otherwise....

    Thanks to everyone; I think I'll go and have a look - planning a mixed mode
    commute..

    Julia