Got A Pain In the Butt- Need Seat Recommendation

Ben J

Aug 16, 2013
Just recently bought a Giant Escape 1 which I really like so far. But being a 62 year old overweight restart into biking, the seat is kicking my butt! I ride with bike shorts but am still uncomfortable after 6-8 miles. The bike now has the Giant Connection seat which seems to be a well built seat. Should I buy a more comfortable seat and what do you recommend? Or just bear the pain until I strengthen the butt muscles? Thanks for any advice.

OEM seats are often a 'save-a-buck' component for the manufacturer to minimize production costs and boost profit a bit. Don't be afraid to try something new. Repeatedly. Until you are satisfied.

That said, I don't know of any tried and true method, fitting or Ouija board method of predicting what size, shape or type of seat will make a rider comfortable.

Go to Selle Italia's website are review their fitting method and maybe Google a few others. Getting better informed as to what makes a good fit between rider, riding style and bike is a start and should get you to a point of making a more educated guess as to what to try next. The good news is you probably can't choose a worse model than what you have. The bad news is...there's about 5,000 choices on the market!

Guys on the board tell me there are these mythical bike stores that let a fellow try out seats ***** nilly and just return them for a free swap out if they don't work out. I, personally, have not come across such a store in my locale. I have run across places like Competitive Cyclist. They offer a "No Questions Asked" return policy...'if' you want to put up with the pain in the ass (pun intended) of mail order returns.

Ben J said:
Just recently bought a Giant Escape 1 which I really like so far. But being a 62 year old overweight restart into biking, the seat is kicking my butt! I ride with bike shorts but am still uncomfortable after 6-8 miles. The bike now has the Giant Connection seat which seems to be a well built seat. Should I buy a more comfortable seat and what do you recommend? Or just bear the pain until I strengthen the butt muscles? Thanks for any advice.
The only good recommendation is to try different saddles. There's no way for anyone but you to determine what saddle will be comfortable for you, and you'll need the input of your butt. Some saddle manufacturers offer metrics for picking saddles (Specialized, Fizik, Selle Italia, and others), but those metrics aren't foolproof or even necessarily reliable. I think your best bet would be to go to an LBS and talk to them about your issue and see what input they have.