Got a sec to help with a science fair project?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by RichK, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RichK

RichK New Member

Hey there,

My 9 year old daughter is doing a science fair project on people's heart rate.

She needs lots of data on people's resting pulse & pulse after doing 20 jumping jacks.

If you'd like to help, could you please post in this thread or PM me or email me:

-Your resting pulse over 10 seconds after sitting still for at least 2 minutes
    -Your pulse over 10 seconds after doing 20 jumping jacks

She wants to compare people between gender and age groups. I'll post the results in this thread for those that are interested.

If you've got kids, she'd like kid data as well.

Thanks!

Rich and Katie

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I'm 58 and a male
    resting heart rate over 10 seconds 9
    after 20 fast jumping jacks over 10 seconds 20
    after 20 slow jumping jacks over 10 seconds 15

Problem with this study is how much intensity is applied to the jumping jacks, one person could do these with just spreading the legs maybe a foot apart and do a slow pace would not see a whole lot of increase in the pulse rate. Another guy, the way I did it, was as fast as I could go with legs coming about 2 feet apart, which did increase the rate higher then if I had done a slow lazy jumping jack. Of course the variable in the jumping jack is going to between slow and fast with no real way of telling who did what. So for fun I did both, of course allowed my pulse to settle down to 9 beats per 10 seconds before doing the next set.

I put the male information in because rates should be a bit different between male and female.

Getting complicated isn't it?

3. RichK

RichK New Member

Thanks, Froze!

Yes, I think part of her conclusions for this project will be that the jumping jacks can vary quite a bit, which will change the results.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Rich

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

53 year old male

Resting Heart Rate over 10 seconds: 6

After 20 Jumping Jacks: 9

Good luck in the science fair.