Got a track taster session booked at Calshot: any tips?

Simonb

Guest
March 29th. Thought I'd give it a go, they won't allow use of the track
until you've done the taster, should be fun:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/calshot/cycle.html

Any tips on track cycling?

I also went to my first training session on a track this evening (Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth)
-- 33kph (the slow group) for 1 hour -- and I was barely even puffed. Riding in a group is very
easy going.

Simon

>http://www.hants.gov.uk/calshot/cycle.html
>
>Any tips on track cycling?

One - Enjoy it - it's great fun.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

Originally posted by Simonb
March 29th. Thought I'd give it a go, they won't allow use of the track
until you've done the taster, should be fun:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/calshot/cycle.html

Any tips on track cycling?

I also went to my first training session on a track this evening (Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth)
-- 33kph (the slow group) for 1 hour -- and I was barely even puffed. Riding in a group is very
easy going.

Simon
1. Always ride in a straight line.
2. Always look before you change line.
3. Relax.
4. Never ever stop pedalling.

Originally posted by Simonb
March 29th. Thought I'd give it a go, they won't allow use of the track
until you've done the taster, should be fun:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/calshot/cycle.html

Any tips on track cycling?

I also went to my first training session on a track this evening (Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth) -- 33kph (the slow group) for 1 hour -- and I was barely even puffed. Riding in a group is very
easy going.

Simon

Brave soul! Track cycling looks way scary if you ask me.
Just try not to think about:
1. Friction burns
2. Barrier crashes
3. Stopping pedalling
4. The cost of the new bike you'll need if you take it up

Originally posted by McBain_v1
Brave soul! Track cycling looks way scary if you ask me.
Just try not to think about:
1. Friction burns
2. Barrier crashes
3. Stopping pedalling
4. The cost of the new bike you'll need if you take it up
Its very safe if you know what you are doing and keep away from people that don't know what they are doing. On the track, like on the road most accidents are caused by breaking one of the basic rules or by others mistakes.

You'll love the track; first few times its a bit scary but great fun. As you get used to the track it just gets better!!! Imagine hitting 40+ mph in a 200m sprint or a madison change in a bunch of riders!!!!

As for bikes, if you decide to take up track riding there is a very good second hand market and the bikes usualy have little wear & are in good nick. Most damage to a track bike is done puting it into and taking it out of the car. Even a brand new track bike can cost as little as £300 to £400.

Riding a track just once is a must for anyone that likes riding a bike and the trip to Manchester is well worth it just to ride the fastest track in the world!!! :-D

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

> 1. Always ride in a straight line.
> 4. Never ever stop pedalling.

Blimey. Don't you need an infinitely long, perfectly straight track for that?

--
Rob

> > 1. Always ride in a straight line.
> > 4. Never ever stop pedalling.
>
> Blimey. Don't you need an infinitely long, perfectly straight track for that?

I think it's an oval or circle. Presumably you build up so much speed that the downforce keeps you
on the track when you get to the upside-down bit.

---

>Brave soul! Track cycling looks way scary if you ask me.

It's great fun - even this large lady has given it a go a few times on the track at the Manchester
Velodrome.

BUT

It's essential you do taster sessions to learn track skills. Consider this - the first time I got on
a track bike...

I'd never used drop handlebars before I'd never used fixed-wheel before I'd never ridden a bike
without brakes before I'd never used clipless pedals before

Yet I managed to have great fun and not fall off :)

Going round the banking is *fun* - and even I could get quite high up round it!

Simonb wrote:

> March 29th. Thought I'd give it a go, they won't allow use of the track until you've done the
> taster, should be fun:
>
> http://www.hants.gov.uk/calshot/cycle.html
>
> Any tips on track cycling?
>
> I also went to my first training session on a track this evening (Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth)
> -- 33kph (the slow group) for 1 hour -- and I was barely even puffed. Riding in a group is very
> easy going.

Well, I'm sure you are now aware that Calshot is nothing like Portsmouth, which is why the
Mountbatten track is now used for road events. ISTR that even the track league is now to be for road
bikes. Admittedly Portsmouth does have _some_ banking (if you look carefully), but Calshot, even
compared to tracks like Manchester, is the equivalent of the Wall of Death and it will be superb
fun. It is really just a bowl, with no straights to be worth mentioning, just two track 'ends' and a
distance of just 143metres. In fact it was originally just the two end bankings of a 6-day track
with the straights removed and Hampshire provided a hangar at the Activities Centre to keep it in.
It was so successful it has since been rebuilt but the building remained the same size.

It is also used for other activities such as remote control car racing.

John B

Mark Thompson wrote:

> > > 1. Always ride in a straight line.
> > > 4. Never ever stop pedalling.
> >
> > Blimey. Don't you need an infinitely long, perfectly straight track for that?
>
> I think it's an oval or circle.

Calshot is a 45deg bowl ;-) Straights? wot straights?

John B

JohnB wrote:

>>>Blimey. Don't you need an infinitely long, perfectly straight track for that?
>>>

>>I think it's an oval or circle.
>>

>Calshot is a 45deg bowl ;-) Straights? wot straights?
>
>John B

I've heard of people feeling ill at Calshot so if you suffer motion sickness be prepared.

davep

Most important tip is...........don't forget to turn left when you get to the end of the straight,
and always remember bikes without brakes are not dangerous but idiots on bikes without brakes are!

news:[email protected]...

davep wrote:

> I've heard of people feeling ill at Calshot so if you suffer motion sickness be prepared.

That's only when the tide comes in ;-)

John B

Originally posted by Robert Bruce
mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

> 1. Always ride in a straight line.
> 4. Never ever stop pedalling.

Blimey. Don't you need an infinitely long, perfectly straight track for that?
Rob
I guess you would.

JohnB wrote:

> Well, I'm sure you are now aware that Calshot is nothing like Portsmouth

I was aware of this beforehand. It is a good place to train on a late-winter's night -- no special
bike required.

> Calshot is Wall of Death

This is what I want to experience. It's near to where I live, so why not? I doubt I'll take it up
seriously, but you never know.