Got an idea - waddya thunk?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    rode past a guy last night on the way home with one of those lock/bracket arrangements and thought how lame they are.
    Why not make it multi-purpose, me thinks...

    take a look at:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/rack_lock combo_1.pdf

    Its my theory of a bracket and lock that combines to become a rack when put together, and obviously a lock when needed

    Has this been done before?
    seems a bit obvious not to have been...:confused:

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    anyone?

    anyone?

    Bueller...

  3. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I think that you should go and have a go at racing.

  4. flyingdutch wrote:

    > rode past a guy last night on the way home with one of those lock/bracket arrangements and thought
    > how lame they are. Why not make it multi-purpose, me thinks...
    >
    > take a look at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/rack_lock%20combo_1.pdf

    It will snap where the top of the U-bolt drops in the slot. Try threading the U-bolt through a
    hole instead.

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Jazmo, its for carryig when Im racing to use as a boomerang to haul in the breakaway!!! :D :D :D

    And yes, Terry. I had thought of the hole as you suggest.

    Im sure there's a whole bunch of industrial design that it needs work on.
    OK. One hole coming up

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Is that a challenge Jazmo?
    You-n-me next week :mad:
    (at the starting line, at least.
    After that I aint makin any commitments...) :rolleyes:

  7. ftf

    ftf New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    Can't say i've seen one anywhere... seems like a good idea really.

    Would it be a rack with supports down to the rear stays or a seatpost only one? The locks are generally pretty heavy but im sure you knew that ...

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Its my theory of a bracket and lock that combines to become a rack when put together, and
    > obviously a lock when needed

    It looks neat, but good locks can be fairly heavy. And mean-spirited would-be thieves are bound to
    half-inch the empty rack in spite...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    'half inch' ? wozzat?

    Im not thinking of anything hanging down the sides. More a daybag type setup so perhaps the fore-aft beam needs some type of attaching brackets on it?

  10. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "flyingdutch" wrote
    > 'half inch' ? wozzat?

    Half-inch = pinch.

    Theo

  11. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > rode past a guy last night on the way home with one of those lock/bracket arrangements and thought
    > how lame they are. Why not make it multi-purpose, me thinks...
    >
    > take a look at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/rack_lock%20combo_1.pdf
    >
    > Its my theory of a bracket and lock that combines to become a rack when put together, and
    > obviously a lock when needed
    >
    > Has this been done before? seems a bit obvious not to have been...:confused:

    Looks really cool. I have a rack and have to carry a lock as well. Very annoying. Would like that
    all in one idea.

  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > rode past a guy last night on the way home with one of those lock/bracket arrangements and thought
    > how lame they are. Why not make it multi-purpose, me thinks...
    >
    > take a look at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/rack_lock%20combo_1.pdf
    >
    > Its my theory of a bracket and lock that combines to become a rack when put together, and
    > obviously a lock when needed
    >
    > Has this been done before? seems a bit obvious not to have been...:confused:

    I assume since you can remove the lock there is no need to always carry it with you if you want to
    save a kg. However when I want to lock my bike up I dont really care about an extra kg on a ride. I
    think its a great idea.

    Pete

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    OK. some form of allen key-d or hard-to-remove mech on the seatpost collar shall be added/considered

    Anyone know any industrial designers or anyone else relevant for me to throw this at?
    My expertise goes as far as bigger-pictue concept and the graphics/packaging

  14. > >
    > > take a look at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/rack_lock%20combo_1.pdf
    > >
    > > Its my theory of a bracket and lock that combines to become a rack when put together, and
    > > obviously a lock when needed

    Bloody good idea! How about using something like the Blackburn (the one that mounts to the
    seatpost). If you don't run a quick release on the seatpost it'll be pretty secure. I couldn't find
    the rack on Blackburn's site so maybe they don't make them anymore. Mine works well...

    Toodles,

    me

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I still have one of those blackburns hanging in the shed

    thanx for reminding me. shall suss it out tonight.

    Its only going to be as secure as your seatpost/seat tho cos even if my gismo has no QR, the seatpost might and you could take the lot. Allen key'd collars are much better.

    more fiddles for MkII...

  16. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > > "flyingdutch" wrote
    > > > 'half inch' ? wozzat?
    > > Half-inch = pinch. Theo
    >

    > OK. some form of allen key-d or hard-to-remove mech on the seatpost collar shall be
    > added/considered
    >
    > Anyone know any industrial designers or anyone else relevant for me to throw this at? My expertise
    > goes as far as bigger-pictue concept and the graphics/packaging
    >

    > --

    Its a pity their was not some simple key based system for a seatpost QR. Wont release till you turn
    the key. Not infallible I know but then you sort of get the best of both worlds. Infact market them
    together with a keyed alike to the DLock.

  17. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Already a couple of these systems on the market to replace your QR wheel skewers and seatpillar QRswhich marry up to a removeable QR mech or key

    MarkII checklist

    1 Hole for U-bolt part of lock. not a groove to guarantee
    strength of beam

    2 attaching/strapping system for bag/luggage on top of beam

    3 anti-theft QR on seatpost-collar
    (idea! - to match key on lock!!!)

    anything further?

    possibly incorporate a rear mudguard or at least attachment for existing products on the market

    AHHHHHHHH. Just realised a big hole in my grand plan.
    Gaggia machine to be incorporated into MarkII
    :D

  18. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Already a couple of these systems on the market to replace your QR wheel skewers and seatpillar
    > QRswhich marry up to a removeable QR mech or key
    >
    > MarkII checklist
    >
    > 1 Hole for U-bolt part of lock. not a groove to guarantee strength of beam
    >
    > 2 attaching/strapping system for bag/luggage on top of beam
    >
    > 3 anti-theft QR on seatpost-collar (idea! - to match key on lock!!!)
    >
    > anything further?
    >
    > possibly incorporate a rear mudguard or at least attachment for existing products on the market
    >
    > AHHHHHHHH. Just realised a big hole in my grand plan. Gaggia machine to be incorporated into
    > MarkII :D

    Must have the Gaggia

  19. marcusl

    marcusl New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    I happen to know one very well !!....me....

    hmmm....seems like a pretty good idea to me - killing two birds with the one stone....

    needs to be compatible with different lock manufacturers....not an issue if they're all similar dimensions

    marcus

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    You wanna 'buy' into this Marcus?

    Any suggestions?
    If youre in melbourne maybe we can get together and go from there. still like to discuss as it progresses online as some of the feedback thus far has been invalueble