Got an idea - waddya thunk?

Originally posted by flyingdutch
You wanna 'buy' into this Marcus?

Any suggestions?
If youre in melbourne maybe we can get together and go from there. still like to discuss as it progresses online as some of the feedback thus far has been invalueble

I'm in Sydney but the wonders of the inteenet can overcome....times a problem though with the wife about to give birth to our second anyday now....wouldn't mind giving it some thought though....

Don't mind your original sketch.....just so long as the hole for the lock doesn't go through your main support - a bracket welded to main beam with the mounting slot laser cut into it....main beam could be telescopic that allows for different length locks (will make the rack heavier overall though) I imagine it would attach to the seatpost in a similar way to current racks (not sure how they do it - some research needed) ....check out ......http://www.topeak.com/global/osracklock.php but look at the QR Beams for how they attach to the seatpost.....

I think it could be done better and actually use the lock as support for the bag - would make the overall package lighter....

after all the discussion would be handy if a brief was written incorporating good suggestions (basically what you've started doing listing requirements and considerations)

marcus

Originally posted by marcusl
I'm in Sydney but the wonders of the inteenet can overcome....times a problem though with the wife about to give birth to our second anyday now....wouldn't mind giving it some thought though....

Don't mind your original sketch.....just so long as the hole for the lock doesn't go through your main support - a bracket welded to main beam with the mounting slot laser cut into it....main beam could be telescopic that allows for different length locks (will make the rack heavier overall though) I imagine it would attach to the seatpost in a similar way to current racks (not sure how they do it - some research needed) ....check out ......http://www.topeak.com/global/osracklock.php but look at the QR Beams for how they attach to the seatpost.....

I think it could be done better and actually use the lock as support for the bag - would make the overall package lighter....

after all the discussion would be handy if a brief was written incorporating good suggestions (basically what you've started doing listing requirements and considerations)

marcus

Hah! ewe da man!!

youre separate bracket sounds good. my take on it was simplicity/streamlining but i guess your practicality card trumps me

perhaps my original sketch was too rough (all of 15 minutes invested in it ) but the lock WAS always meant to support the bag.
Telescopic beam does sound attractive but as you say weight and complexity are starting to sound a bit much

I think my initial thought was to get the lock custom-built to match the rack or the rack to marry to a particular existing lock.
I guess this means working up the concept and possibly pitching at existing manufacturers

A brief. good lord man. Im a graphic designer; i never get a brief. Do you think Im gonna practice what I preach??? :D

perhaps I should repost that drawing with a copyright on it...

(perhaps if this comes off it can keep me in new bikes and you in nappies)

Hah! ewe da man!!

youre separate bracket sounds good. my take on it was simplicity/streamlining but i guess your practicality card trumps me

perhaps my original sketch was too rough (all of 15 minutes invested in it ) but the lock WAS always meant to support the bag.
Telescopic beam does sound attractive but as you say weight and complexity are starting to sound a bit much

I think my initial thought was to get the lock custom-built to match the rack or the rack to marry to a particular existing lock.
I guess this means working up the concept and possibly pitching at existing manufacturers

A brief. good lord man. Im a graphic designer; i never get a brief. Do you think Im gonna practice what I preach??? :D

perhaps I should repost that drawing with a copyright on it...

(perhaps if this comes off it can keep me in new bikes and you in nappies)

I was thinking it could match as many lock manufacturers as possible......wasn't thinking of making the lock - that's not where the good idea lies - they make the locks....you make the rack that makes their lock more versatile.....bigger market that way.....
agree that the telesopic thing might not be the way....the bracket could be adjustable to allow for different size locks.....some sort of adjustability anyway.....need to survey the most popular manufacturers just to see the sizes they come in....see if they vary that greatly.....

Look i can dream that one day in one of my projects i'll actually get a brief .... OK! :)....

I'd be happy if it would pay for someone to change tjhose nappies for me.....

Originally posted by marcusl
I was thinking it could match as many lock manufacturers as possible......wasn't thinking of making the lock - that's not where the good idea lies - they make the locks....you make the rack that makes their lock more versatile.....bigger market that way.....
agree that the telesopic thing might not be the way....the bracket could be adjustable to allow for different size locks.....some sort of adjustability anyway.....need to survey the most popular manufacturers just to see the sizes they come in....see if they vary that greatly.....

Look i can dream that one day in one of my projects i'll actually get a brief .... OK! :)....

I'd be happy if it would pay for someone to change tjhose nappies for me.....

sliding bracket? would accomodate different sized locks

and shims i guess to make different guage lock-tubing snug

sliding bracket? would accomodate different sized locks

and shims i guess to make different guage lock-tubing snug

or different size slots in the sliding bracket - need to buy the appropriate bracket for your lock???

must be a neater solution....just something to aim for though

"marcusl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > You wanna 'buy' into this Marcus? Any suggestions? If youre in melbourne maybe we can get
> > together and
go
> > from there. still like to discuss as it progresses online as some of
the
> > feedback thus far has been invalueble
>
>
>
> I'm in Sydney but the wonders of the inteenet can overcome....times a problem though with the wife
> about to give birth to our second anyday now....wouldn't mind giving it some thought though....
>

You got the fear in you yet? Those sleepless nights again? I have another one coming in about 3
weeks. Excited and completely in fear at the same time.

Originally posted by John Doe
[B

> I'm in Sydney but the wonders of the inteenet can overcome....times a problem though with the wife
> about to give birth to our second anyday now....wouldn't mind giving it some thought though....
>

You got the fear in you yet? Those sleepless nights again? I have another one coming in about 3
weeks. Excited and completely in fear at the same time. [/B]

yes...i know the feeling you want it to happen....but still not sure if you're ready for it.....in some ways it's worse than having the first one.....you know what you're in for.... having said that our first one was an angel (still is) - so one can can only hope....

"marcusl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> John Doe wrote:
> > [B
> > > I'm in Sydney but the wonders of the inteenet can overcome....times
a
> > > problem though with the wife about to give birth to our second
anyday
> > > now....wouldn't mind giving it some thought though....
> > >
> > You got the fear in you yet? Those sleepless nights again? I have another one coming in about
> > 3 weeks. Excited and completely in fear at the same time.
>
>
>
> yes...i know the feeling you want it to happen....but still not sure if you're ready for it.....in
> some ways it's worse than having the first one.....you know what you're in for.... having said
> that our first one was an angel (still is) - so one can can only hope....
>
>

You bet. Well our first is nearly 2 (2 weeks off) and he is great now but the first 6 months was
harsh - up several times a night. You are right. Now you know what you are in for. Well good luck.
Hope it all goes well.

Delusion is a wonderful thing, M

our first one (now 9) slept 14 hours a night. Second one was lucky to sleep 14 minutes

you know that scene in Total recall where they get throen out into the space/atmosphere and they start exploding withttheir eyes popooing out of their heads abnd gasping for air

that's what my wif and I looked like...

In and out of 'bad-baby-hospital' twice (sleep wards)

but Im sure yours will be just fine.
<nervous twitch>, <maniacal laugh>...

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Delusion is a wonderful thing, M
>
> our first one (now 9) slept 14 hours a night. Second one was lucky to sleep 14 minutes
>
> you know that scene in Total recall where they get throen out into the space/atmosphere and they
> start exploding withttheir eyes popooing out of their heads abnd gasping for air
>
> that's what my wif and I looked like...
>
> In and out of 'bad-baby-hospital' twice (sleep wards)
>
> but Im sure yours will be just fine. <nervous twitch>, <maniacal
> laugh>...

lol.

Well our first was like that. 14 minutes. Never slept through day EVER. We like you were in a state
of total exhaustion. The point where even if you go to sleep for 12 hours (someone looks after them
for you) you wake up exhausted. You need like 5 days of 12 hour sleeps to get yourself back but it
just cant happen given you are up all night.

So maybe the one I have coming in 3 weeks will be the opposite you think?

Pete