Got dropped, got lapped, finished last...

Welcome to RBR..

There are a lot of elitists here and a lot of them whine about anything
and everything. . .
(WAAAAHHH!! You don't feel significantly shitty about losing!
WAAAAHHH!! You wore a pro jersey on your commute!!!
WAAAAHHH!! You gained weight after you stopped racing!!
WAAAAHHH!! You are so inferior!!!!
WAAAAHHH!! Kerry/Bush is leading in the polls!!!!!

Whatever... It's like the snotty 5-year-old who is crying in the corner
during recess - "WAAAAHHHH, THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG, MOMMEEEE, WAAAAAHHHH!"

As I said, welcome to RBR

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:04 -0700, Bleet Norf <[email protected]> wrote:

> WAAAAHHH!! You wore a pro jersey on your commute!!!

*** Hell, I looked long and hard to find a NON PRO
rag to wear. I finally found an EMS red generic.

I was going to wear a yellow USPS skinsuit with
a Garneau Prologue helmet and visor, but I spent
so much on my M-Frames...

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 hai!

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2004 06:32:56 -0700, [email protected] (Keith Alexander)
> wrote:
>
> >"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> That Rocky stuff belongs in another arena.

> >*** If you think my post was Rocky-like, you may
> >want to rewatch the movie.
> >

> Good comebacks from a first-time racer. You'll go far.
>
> Ignore CV in this thread.
>
> JT

Just *this* thread, John?

--
tanx,
Howard

A billion + 2 followups...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Keith Alexander wrote in part:

<< I screwed up at the start. Instead of laying back and letting the
group I was in find the pace, I shot off the start line. I went balls
out for a few hundred yards and the first time I looked back, I was
alone. I knew right then and there I ****ed up. I was already a little
winded and I had no one to draft with. A few hundred feet more and I
heard the paceline behind me. And then they blew by me and I couldn't
fall in behind them. I gotta tell you, I was dejected and knew I was
in for a hard, lonely ride. I was right. And I'm not as fit as I
thought I was. >>

And yet, you still managed to secure
enough KoM points to win the jersey.

"Keith Alexander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I knew I was going to come in last, but I didn't think I'd get
> my ass handed to me like that.
>
> I screwed up at the start. Instead of laying back and letting the
> group I was in find the pace, I shot off the start line. I went balls
> out for a few hundred yards and the first time I looked back, I was
> alone. I knew right then and there I ****ed up. I was already a little
> winded and I had no one to draft with. A few hundred feet more and I
> heard the paceline behind me. And then they blew by me and I couldn't
> fall in behind them. I gotta tell you, I was dejected and knew I was
> in for a hard, lonely ride. I was right. And I'm not as fit as I
> thought I was.

As people have said, it happens, even to semi-competent racers. I can
remember my first experiences in Belgian races were like that. Although I
had nearly 10 years of experience behind me, the style is different in
Belgium and it takes some getting used to. I thought that position at the
start was paramount and so many times I got myself into breaks on the first
lap, only to get shelled after about 4 laps when the pace got really hard.

This happened many times. Like you, I thought my fitness was not up to
scratch (partially correct) but equally important was gaining an
understanding of how the race would unfold. It took me several months before
I realised that position at the start was of little importance, as long as
you're not right at the back. What was more important was being on someone's
wheel, preferably someone who wasn't going to launch a suicidal first lap
attack ;-) But even if they do, there's no obligation to follow. It's better
just to relax and go with the flow of the pack. Remember, everyone is fresh
at the start.

Don't get too near the front yet or you'll be suckered into doing all the
work. Find out where the hard parts are on the course and be prepared to
hurt a bit more. **** happens a lot in racing so don't panic when something
goes wrong, like if you have to brake suddenly or if there's a crash near
you. Patrick Lefevere commented about tactics in the third stage of the Tour
this year: "Panic is a bad advisor" and I think you can apply that to all
types of racing.

Good luck in your next race!

Jeff

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote

> If you couldn't tag the paceline on its way by right at the start, I don't
> think it would make a difference if you let the group set the pace; you'd
> still be blown off the back.

*** I hear ya, but I really went all out up front. Their pace was not
something out of my range, I should have warmed up better, too.

>You need to ride a lot more.

*** Hell yeah.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the replies.

KA
---
www.nootrope.net

Stan Cox wrote:
> Welcome to the sport. Its really scary when you put in a turn & realise
> you are off the front isnt it. Now you know what not to do next time.
> Good to see you are not discouraged. You will be surprised how much
> better you do next time. All the best.
>
> Stan Cox

It took me an amazing number of years to figure this out. It's really
simple: look at your speedo and just maintain it. It's a lot less work too.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Keith Alexander® wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:04 -0700, Bleet Norf <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> WAAAAHHH!! You wore a pro jersey on your commute!!!

> *** Hell, I looked long and hard to find a NON PRO
> rag to wear. I finally found an EMS red generic.

That jersey is waaaay too loose.

My first race I hung with the pack for about half
of it, got dropped along with three other guys
because of one squirrely idiot, and worked with
them until we got pulled.

It happens.

The end of september is not a good time to do your
first race. Keep training through the winter and
start racing early.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote

> That jersey is waaaay too loose.

*** I know. I think that's why I came in last.

> Keep training through the winter and start racing early.

*** I definitely will.

First races here are march/april.

KA
---