got fat sence i got out of the army, need to start doing cardio again, help please

fordraceing_man

Nov 11, 2005
well in the last year i have gained a lot of weight sence i have gotten out of the army and its getting out of control, i tried to run again but just can't get very motivated i looked around at other forms of cardio excersises and they say the next best thing for weight loss under running is either bikes, or the nortic trac machines. well with winter coming up in the next few weeks here (im in michigan) i really can't be riding a bike outside. so im thinking about buying an indoor bike machine just for winter and if it works well starting riding bikes again in the summer. i was just wondering what you guys though, is riding a bike much cardio compared to running? does it burn a lot of calories? is an indoor bike ok for the winter for burining calories? how do yoiu think biking compars to running or other forms of cardio?

thanks,

I prefer cycling to any other aerobic activity for a few reasons.

First, it is fun, and if something is fun, you will keep doing it.

Second, you can cycle much longer than you can engage in most other aerobic activities.

Also, even though I haven't taken this step yet, it can be incorporated into your life (bicycle commuting).

You can easily (in many cases) find a cycling club. You can find organized rides for all skill levels (from short family oriented rides, to centuries (and longer).

Some peole (including myself) find it harder to get motivated for indoor cycling, but for every inute you spend you will be a little better off when the spring thaw gets here. :)

Cycling is good for all fitness levels from casual to competitive, and I am sure you can find a level of activity you can live with... And there is great peacefulness available while riding if you pick the right route and/or keep the right attitude.

thanks for the reply but im basically wondering as far as lossing weight now does a might work compard to running/treadmill, walking, and one of them gazel (sp) machines. like i said with winter coming in a few weeks im not going to be able to do outdoor stuff. i tried running but i just can't stay motavationed. this is a samll town to its a good hour ride to the closest gym. i don't know why but i can't run on a treadmill i just hate treadmills. but its been so long sence i rode a bike. is a 30min workout on a bike very much or no?

If you get into your target heart rate on any equipment, you will burn calories. For me, I tend to be able to stay in my target heart zone on a statonary bike better than any other eqipment. Before you invest I should warn you that some people hate stationary bikes even more than they hate treadmills.

I tend to burn a little over 300 calories in a 30 minute stationary bicycle session (according to the computer on the exercycle). With no other exercise, and no change in diet this would lead to a little more than 1/2 pound difference per week.

Along with aerobic fitness, for weight loss you should consider increasing muscle as well... Increased muscle mass will increase the calories your body burns even at rest.

Good luck in whatever activity you choose.

dgregory57 said:
If you get into your target heart rate on any equipment, you will burn calories. For me, I tend to be able to stay in my target heart zone on a statonary bike better than any other eqipment. Before you invest I should warn you that some people hate stationary bikes even more than they hate treadmills.

I tend to burn a little over 300 calories in a 30 minute stationary bicycle session (according to the computer on the exercycle). With no other exercise, and no change in diet this would lead to a little more than 1/2 pound difference per week.

Along with aerobic fitness, for weight loss you should consider increasing muscle as well... Increased muscle mass will increase the calories your body burns even at rest.

Good luck in whatever activity you choose.
k, so if i do a indoor cycle do you do it 7 days a week or everyother day? if done every other day i off days i could do pushups and situps and different drills like that i know from the army also i have a weight set.

what do you recomend?

Cycling indoors can work great for you. Try Interval Training on a bike. It'll kick your ass and get rid of the weight fast. But build up to it, its not easy.

Also, cycling compared to running as far as weight loss is different. You'll lose the weight faster running but you'll still end up losing weight if you pick up cycling. Cardio is cardio and either way its great that your ready to start up.

I had a friend who used to make a good comparison when it came to exercising. "Run 20 minutes or bike for two hours, how much time do you have?" I personally still prefer cycling.

Set yourself up with a goal, lets say 10lbs. Something small and shoot for that. You'll be amazed how fast the weight will drop.

Diet is going to be another really big part. Just be smart about what you eat and you'll be fine.

I can say more but I figure this should answer your question.

StartTday said:
Cycling indoors can work great for you. Try Interval Training on a bike. It'll kick your ass and get rid of the weight fast. But build up to it, its not easy.

Also, cycling compared to running as far as weight loss is different. You'll lose the weight faster running but you'll still end up losing weight if you pick up cycling. Cardio is cardio and either way its great that your ready to start up.

I had a friend who used to make a good comparison when it came to exercising. "Run 20 minutes or bike for two hours, how much time do you have?" I personally still prefer cycling.

Set yourself up with a goal, lets say 10lbs. Something small and shoot for that. You'll be amazed how fast the weight will drop.

Diet is going to be another really big part. Just be smart about what you eat and you'll be fine.

I can say more but I figure this should answer your question.
so is that any where close to being true? you need to bike for 2hrs to be compard to running for 20min? how my cycleing in the mouring should be good for loseing weight? 30 mimutes or what? what is Interval Training on a bike? also i don't have much money to spend right now so this is the bike im thinking about starting off with, what do you think?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4134%3A5149

No what my friend said isnt necessarily true. But you do have to work harder on a bike.
Any amount on a bike is good for you. No matter how little. Also, working out in the morning is great for you. You'll jump start your metabolism and have it in high gear throughout the day.
Interval Training is set up where you bike hard for a minute, then at a slower pace for another, then kick it up again for another minute. Its all based on your max heart rate.

Cant say for sure how long it takes on the bike but after 20 min on a treadmill you should be burning fat. anywhere from 10-20 will help you maintain your conditioning but you have to go over 20 minutes consistently to lose weight (long walks/hiking works that way too). I assume if you maintain that type of heart rate on a bike those times would be fairly equivalent if your really pushing yourself for 20-30 minutes. As to how many days you should work out, 3 days a week will maintain your level of fitness, a 4th day will really help you lose the weight and add to your conditioning.

Cycling is a great way to improve cardio fitness, not to mention losing weight. I was in decent shape at the start of the summer, and since then I've lost 20 lbs. (and I don't eat as well as I should). I'll caution you, riding inside on a trainer is incredibly boring. I have my trainer, and I just use it when it's too cold to ride outside. My only fear is that you'll be bored riding on the trainer, and then you'll lose motivation for once the weather warms up in the spring. Just bear in mind, riding outside is addictive, riding on a trainer is a bore (but still necessary).

fordraceing_man said:
well in the last year i have gained a lot of weight sence i have gotten out of the army and its getting out of control, i tried to run again but just can't get very motivated i looked around at other forms of cardio excersises and they say the next best thing for weight loss under running is either bikes, or the nortic trac machines. well with winter coming up in the next few weeks here (im in michigan) i really can't be riding a bike outside. so im thinking about buying an indoor bike machine just for winter and if it works well starting riding bikes again in the summer. i was just wondering what you guys though, is riding a bike much cardio compared to running? does it burn a lot of calories? is an indoor bike ok for the winter for burining calories? how do yoiu think biking compars to running or other forms of cardio?

thanks,
combine indoor riding, whether on your own machine or a lifecycle or a spin machine, with some XC skiing...some XC trails should be ready pretty soon there in MI right?

just remember ... more output vs. input = weight loss. it's all mathematics'

and-----good luck

Eilert Pilarm said:
?

just remember ... more output vs. input = weight loss. it's all mathematics'
It is nice to see that common sense has not died .... I agree 100% :cool:

huhenio said:

True but your actual output is your measurable work divided by your efficiency and as you become a better cyclist you get more efficient and you put out the same amount of work for less energy usage (or you have to work more to burn the same amount of fat).

Cross training among different cardio activities is a great way to burn fat. A gym membership with treadmills, cycles, rowing machines, stair masters, and elliptical trainers would be a better investment than an indoor bike trainer.

huhenio said:

True but your actual output is your measurable work divided by your efficiency and as you become a better cyclist you get more efficient and you put out the same amount of work for less energy usage (or you have to work more to burn the same amount of fat).

Cross training among different cardio activities is a great way to burn fat. A gym membership with treadmills, cycles, rowing machines, stair masters, and elliptical trainers would be a better investment than an indoor bike trainer, and more fun too.

i'd second replies mentioned here..
I've typically hated stationary bikes prefering treadmills and of course real cycling.

.. BUT we've got a big freeze kicking in now, I dont want to lose the improvements in cycling fitness I've made over the summer; and I can't get the volume of injury-free cardio that I want through other methods. I've a little fat to burn off so I'm trying to learn to love the stationary bike this winter - e.g. by trying propper interval sessions inc out of saddle sprints.

In the past - when recovering from fractured foot & in bad weather, hence limited to stationary-bike+upperbody - I also curcuit trained (alternating 5mins bike & weights). This gets very exhausting before it gets boring.
Some people say this is counterproductive vs dedicated weights days but as mentioned it performed the function of increasing the amount of cycling i could do vs the psychological limitation.. one was respite from the other. I think theres' some benefit along the lines of continually flushing out the lactic acid + weights are depleting glycogen faster forcing the biking to burn more fat ?? I think it IS a good way to get lean. I guess it's just like the full-body effect of an elliptical machine or rower. Again this would be a great option for me now. I mostly workout in the gym but am going to setup my spare bike on an indoor trainer so i can do this at home with freeweights.

Getting stricter over diet (religous cal counting & graphing weight) helped me generally, it only took backing off by a couple of hundred calories per day to make cyclng effective vs running.. sounds obsessive but it definitely works.