Got hit by a car - how do I find the guy?

Guaps

Aug 14, 2006
I was riding Saturday and got hit by a guy in a truck. He gave me his name, address, phone number, driver license # and I got his license plate #. I called him a couple days ago and found out the phone and address he gave me were from 2 years ago and he doesn't live there anymore. I went to the place he lived (it was an RV park) and his old landlord said he moved 2 years ago, but he doesn't know where to. I contacted the police and they said it wasn't a hit and run, so no crime was committed. The address they had was the same one the guy gave me. He hasn't updated his info. They said unless I know where the guy lives, there's nothing they can do. I drove around the other RV parks in the area to find his truck, but couldn't find him.

Anyone have any idea how I can find this guy?

I had to fix a couple minor things on my bike, and I went to the doctor to get my knee checked out. All in all, I'm out $200 + doctor bills. So it's not too major, but I'd really like to find the guy. Suggestions?

Contact a private investigator. If you have the guys name and license numbers, they probably can find him for you. It will cost you though, so it may not be worth it unless you can file a lawsuit against him in small claims court and add the cost of finding him to the damages. You'll have to check with a California lawyer to see if that is allowable.

Sounds like you're screwed, unless, if he renews his registration. Maybe check with the DMV. Maybe they can keep his name and previous address on file and get back with you; hopefully in the not too distant future. Just a thought.
Or hire a PI like KD said, If u have the cash.

Good Luck!
Ken.

Depending on the laws of your state, he is required to update his information with the DMV/RMV within a certain amount of time either before or after moving, so he actually is in violation of the rules of the road. You could try contacting the DMV/RMV, as stated above, and letting them know that he's driving with out-of-date information on his file. By getting them involved, he'll have to resurface hopefully sooner than later. Good luck....

I tried the DMV, but no luck there either.

The PI is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but I don't think it's worth the expense. Based on the truck he was driving and what he was wearing, and the fact he lives in a fifth wheel trailer, he probably doesn't have anything worth going after in court anyways...

It's probably time for me to just let this die. It ticks me off, but it's not worth losing any more sleep over.

Guaps said:
Based on the truck he was driving and what he was wearing, and the fact he lives in a fifth wheel trailer, he probably doesn't have anything worth going after in court anyways...
If the guy does resurface, you won't be going after him directly - his insurance will end up picking up the tab and they'll have the resources to find him. Did you get his insurance information? That may also be on file with the DMV with his registration info, again, depending on how your state's laws are.

Guaps said:
I tried the DMV, but no luck there either.

The PI is a good idea I hadn't thought of, but I don't think it's worth the expense. Based on the truck he was driving and what he was wearing, and the fact he lives in a fifth wheel trailer, he probably doesn't have anything worth going after in court anyways...

It's probably time for me to just let this die. It ticks me off, but it's not worth losing any more sleep over.
Most people travel the same routes regularly, use another bike or a car and hang around the area of the incident for a bit. You will probably see him again, maybe you can follow him and learn more about him before you approach him. I am not recommending stalking him, just a little investigation. He has proven himself untrustworthy.

I'd let it go. You've got your health(assuming your knee is ok, which it sounds like you're not too bad off).

I have no idea how you can find the guy.

Hindsight being 20/20, next time involve the police from the start. His insurance would probably only accept your claim if he received a citation for being at fault.

Guaps said:

I had to fix a couple minor things on my bike, and I went to the doctor to get my knee checked out. All in all, I'm out $200 + doctor bills. So it's not too major, but I'd really like to find the guy. Suggestions?
Since the DMV doesn't have the up-to-date info, try one-or-all of your local television station CONSUMER REPORTERS ... one of them might find the story interesting enough to pursue for you.