Got Hit

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by UNF_Chaz, Sep 14, 2005.

1. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

Some guy cut me off and made a right hand turn, and i blind sided him. No serious injury's, but he said he never saw me. I only took his name and phone number. This happened on 9/13. I got an estimate for repairs today. Called him and he didn't pick up so now i'm waiting for him to call back... So I think i'm going to go to the police department and file a police report if he doesn't call me within the next 12 hours (so bascially by tomorrow morning).

Front Wheel: $200 (FSA400)
    Phone: $50 (Motorolya V551)
    Jersey: $70 (Giordana)
    Tire: $35 (Huchitson Fusion's)
    Total: $355

I'm trying to play nicely, but if this guy doesn't call back, i'm going all out on him. Any Advice???

Tags:

2. jack rackham

jack rackham New Member

Man, I hate to hear about your accident. Where did it happen? I ride all over Jax and it can be pretty scary at times. I've been hit a few times but all low speed, minor "bumps". Your crash sounds a lot more serious. At least you weren't hurt too bad.

3. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

happened at Beach Blvd and 9th... right next to Sunsrise Surf Shop. This isn't nearly as bad as the other one that included an ambulance ride to the hospital and a totaled bike with a ridding buddy going to the trauma center. Thats another story (4th one down)

People are so nice here compared to back home. i was sitting down on the side of the road for at least 15mins while i was waiting for my friend and there had to be at least 3 people that stopped and asked if i was alright.

he was giving me excuses about y he shouldn't have to pay the full $355. So i gave him an option: either pay me the $355 or im going to file out a police report and get my money through ur insurance company. and he really doesn't want to do that. i dont have any money to fix my bike and replace other things, so this kind of leads me to do this.

4. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

Any traffic accident in UK must be reported to police and all parties must remain at the scene of the accident until the police arrive. Take him to the cleaners. Drivers don't always realize that bike damage, even minor, can have serious consequences later and can cost a fortune to repair. Get a written quote from your LBS for the cost of repair and the list of parts affected and send it to him if you can get his address and try to settle out of court. Explain to him that if you take the matter to the courts, he will also incure court costs and maybe even points on his licence. He may be more willing to co-operate with you. You should get some legal advice on the whole situation as it can often turn nasty.

5. nugsfan

nugsfan New Member

Good advice, definitely get the cost in writing so he cant claim you were trying to blackmail him into paying. I was hit in Denver when approaching an intersection, the woman saw me coming and waved me on, she then proceeded to pull write into me knocking me into oncoming traffic. thankfully I was able to roll out of the way before being hit, she apparently didnt know what to do as she froze then backed over my bike.

6. jack rackham

jack rackham New Member

I live off Butler and Gate and I ride Beach as far as Hodges, but I hate the bridge over the Intra-Coastal so I don't usually go all the way out to Jax Beach. I ride UNF on weekends. That parking garage is the only non-traffic "mountain" (climb) in Jax.

I wouldn't wait. I'd call the police now, although, I hope you've got a witness. I think it's your word against his now.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Well you should have made a report immediately, but I would report it now and probably go the the doctor.
    You never know about those delayed injuries. I know this sounds diry but it is how the game is palyed. Also advise him that you need his insurance carriers name.
    Property damage is nothing compared to personal injury claims.
    I am not saying you should try and milk the guy ,but the threat makes an excellent levering point.
    I go through this quite often on the defense side ,so I have some experience, mostly dealing with amusement ride and skiing injuries but the song and dance is the same.
    Good luck

8. Induray

Induray New Member

I hope you can get results with the police. There have been many incidents around Jax where riders have been mauled/killed by speding cars, yet nothing has come out of it. You might have to take him to court. I stop riding Beach and Atlantic Blvd. does are very hazardous to your health! Stick to the club rides.

9. joule

joule New Member

He is getting off dirt cheap at $355. A one-inch scratch on a car would cost more than that. Then there is the risk of long term injuries due to the accident.

Guess it's a lesson to me. If it happens, call the police... period. Given of course that I and my phone are functional.

10. gubaguba

gubaguba New Member

Some things as this New Jersey Native can tell you about being hit and I have on more than one occasion been slammed.

Call the police (eliminate you said, they said)

Go to the hospital. (The ambulence put on the siren and lights for me) many problems do not manifest themselves till days latter. Soft tissue injuries and torn or damaged tendons or ligaments.

Get all contact information including car insurance.

Write down exactly what you think happened as soon as you can. This will prevent the story from changing in any way. You will need this for insurance latter.

Take photographs of location and damge to you and the bike as soon as possible

Get a written estimate from two bike shops, produce receipts for lost gear.

Get witness names and reports if any.

Get a lawyer insurance companies got them so you'll need one two.

In your case its not that much damage for this you should be grateful, you are very fortunate. You can still file a report and should with the police. Call the driver and stress upon them that it will be much cheaper to pay you this amount of money than to pay the insurance company for the next three years. If they don't pay you follow through and file a report and claim. FYI New Jersey is a no fault state so often I had to deal with my own insurance since as a pedestrian cyclist I am covered by my own auto insurance. Its a mess. Insurance companies make money by not paying claims you must be persistent and dedicate yourself to it.