this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and careful.
--
Jonesy

On 2004-01-29, Jonesy penned:

> Ebay can be downright silly at times (search for "astral projection" to see a device that
> shows this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and
> careful. -- Jonesy

And if you're willing to trust the seller. The ratings help, but there have been several well-
publicized cases of fraud in that regard.

I'm happy to spend $5-10 per vendor at a place like half.com -- if I'm out that amount, life goes
on. But the higher the amount, the more I'm leery ...

Some online merchants are another story. I'll happily lay out hundreds of dollars at newegg, because
they've treated me so well every time I've dealt with them.

--
monique

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-01-29, Jonesy penned:
>
>>Ebay can be downright silly at times (search for "astral projection" to see a device that
>>shows this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and
>>careful. -- Jonesy
>

> And if you're willing to trust the seller. The ratings help, but there have been several well-
> publicized cases of fraud in that regard.
>
> I'm happy to spend $5-10 per vendor at a place like half.com -- if I'm out that amount, life goes
> on. But the higher the amount, the more I'm leery ...
>
> Some online merchants are another story. I'll happily lay out hundreds of dollars at newegg,
> because they've treated me so well every time I've dealt with them.

If you just use your head it is unlikely that you'd be ripped off. And, worst case, you do get
ripped off just make your purchace with a credit card, most have some sort of online fraud
protection. You just have to make sure it covers online auctions.

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You may remember the $4k Ibis BowTi frame on eBay. Still for sale, no bids. I'm going to watch it,
> just for curiosity's sake.
>
> Well, ther eis another side to this - there are good, cheap frames to be had, if one is patient.
>
> Last week, a 2003 Marin Mt. Vision (Quad suspension design) sold for $212. Yesterday, a
> Specialized FSRxc S-works sold for $265.

Last year I passed up a late-90's S-Works hardtail in mint condition for $350. It was loaded with
trick Ti and carbon parts - but no disc mounts. I dreamed of owning a bike like that back when it
was new, and cost about $3,000. Wait long enough and everything becomes affordable ;-)

> The Titus, Ellsworth, Tomac, Ibis, Salsa, Moots, Seven, Santa Cruz and Cannondale frames usually
> command a premium - but still quite a savings from buying new.

It's all about brand name recognition. XTR is the most over-hyped brand on Ebay. Check out the
number of listings with "XTR" in the description. Pretty funny.

> This assumes (a big assumption) that the frames are not damaged in any way. A lot of the stuff
> I've seen looks damn good in the pictures, however.

Well...having bought some bikes and parts from Ebay over the years, I gotta say this: Get close-up
photos before you close the sale. I've had pretty good luck; but you gotta be careful.

> Ebay can be downright silly at times (search for "astral projection" to see a device that shows
> this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and careful.

You got it. Ebay rules.

r0cK3T/\/\4|\|

Rocketman wrote:
> "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>You may remember the $4k Ibis BowTi frame on eBay. Still for sale, no bids. I'm going to watch it,
>>just for curiosity's sake.
>>
>>Well, ther eis another side to this - there are good, cheap frames to be had, if one is patient.
>>
>>Last week, a 2003 Marin Mt. Vision (Quad suspension design) sold for $212. Yesterday, a
>>Specialized FSRxc S-works sold for $265.
>

> Last year I passed up a late-90's S-Works hardtail in mint condition for $350. It was loaded with
> trick Ti and carbon parts - but no disc mounts. I dreamed of owning a bike like that back when it
> was new, and cost about $3,000. Wait long enough and everything becomes affordable ;-)
>

>>The Titus, Ellsworth, Tomac, Ibis, Salsa, Moots, Seven, Santa Cruz and Cannondale frames usually
>>command a premium - but still quite a savings from buying new.
>

> It's all about brand name recognition. XTR is the most over-hyped brand on Ebay. Check out the
> number of listings with "XTR" in the description. Pretty funny.

Personally I'd much rather buy from rec.bicycles.marketplace. The only thing I by off of Ebay are
CDs and vinyl, and that's pretty rare.

Greg

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ebay can be downright silly at times (search for "astral projection" to see a device that shows
> this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and careful.

We've bought a couple of bikes at ridiculously low prices that you would never find retail. Do the
research and be patient.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Jonesy wrote:
> You may remember the $4k Ibis BowTi frame on eBay. Still for sale, no bids. I'm going to watch it,
> just for curiosity's sake.
>
> Well, ther eis another side to this - there are good, cheap frames to be had, if one is patient.
>
> Last week, a 2003 Marin Mt. Vision (Quad suspension design) sold for $212. Yesterday, a
> Specialized FSRxc S-works sold for $265. The Titus, Ellsworth, Tomac, Ibis, Salsa, Moots, Seven,
> Santa Cruz and Cannondale frames usually command a premium - but still quite a savings from
> buying new.
>
> This assumes (a big assumption) that the frames are not damaged in any way. A lot of the stuff
> I've seen looks damn good in the pictures, however.
>
> Ebay can be downright silly at times (search for "astral projection" to see a device that shows
> this), but can offer up some decent bargains if you are willing to be patient and careful.

I put my old S-Works M4 hardtail frame on eBay and it went a few days with no bids and a $150
starting price. Then I put it up on MTBR.com and it sold for $330 in a day (with a couple of extras
thrown in). I got an email after I pulled the eBay auction from someone who was watching it offering
$100. Riiight.

So for selling that frame it wasn't working for me (maybe it would have if I had waited it out).

I've bought and sold quite a bit of electronics (computer, audio, and computer-audio) on eBay with
good results. I sold a broken MD recorder for $60 which I found pretty amazing - it turned into a
crazy bidding war and I don't thing people read the ad that explained the recorders probelems. I
also bought a newer working MD recorder for $40. I think the key is to know the merchandise well
(know what you want and what it's worth) and to be willing to gamble selling at a low price to
attract some bids.

Matt (and yeah, NewEgg ROCKS!)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've bought and sold quite a bit of electronics (computer, audio, and computer-audio) on eBay with
> good results. I sold a broken MD recorder for $60 which I found pretty amazing - it turned into a
> crazy bidding war and
> don't thing people read the ad that explained the recorders probelems. I also bought a newer
> working MD recorder for $40.

I've got two Mekons shows coming up and I maybe looking for a cheap recorder. People on the Mekons
mailing list provide shows in all the other US cities but no one ever tapes them here in LA.

I may be emailing you again for advice.

Greg

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I put my old S-Works M4 hardtail frame on eBay and it went a few days with no bids and a $150
> starting price. Then I put it up on MTBR.com and it
sold
> for $330 in a day (with a couple of extras thrown in). I got an email
after
> I pulled the eBay auction from someone who was watching it offering $100. Riiight.

Of course it went a few days with no bids. 90% of all action on an auction occurs in the last 24
hours, and probably 90% of that occurs in the last *hour*. As long as you have a reserve, it's
no big deal.

G.T. wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>> I've bought and sold quite a bit of electronics (computer, audio, and computer-audio) on eBay
>> with good results. I sold a broken MD recorder for $60 which I found pretty amazing - it turned
>> into a crazy bidding war and I don't thing people read the ad that explained the recorders
>> probelems. I also bought a newer working MD recorder for $40.
>

> I've got two Mekons shows coming up and I maybe looking for a cheap recorder. People on the Mekons
> mailing list provide shows in all the other US cities but no one ever tapes them here in LA.
>
> I may be emailing you again for advice.
>
> Greg

Well damn, Greg. If I had known I could have sold you a fine non-working recorder for WAY more than
it was worth!

Matt (use the matt at matt b do net address and we'll tawk)

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Rocketman wrote:
> > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>You may remember the $4k Ibis BowTi frame on eBay. Still for sale, no bids. I'm going to watch
> >>it, just for curiosity's sake.
> >>
> >>Well, ther eis another side to this - there are good, cheap frames to be had, if one is patient.
> >>
> >>Last week, a 2003 Marin Mt. Vision (Quad suspension design) sold for $212. Yesterday, a
> >>Specialized FSRxc S-works sold for $265.
> >

> > Last year I passed up a late-90's S-Works hardtail in mint condition for $350. It was loaded
> > with trick Ti and carbon parts - but no disc mounts. I dreamed of owning a bike like that back
> > when it was new, and cost about $3,000. Wait long enough and everything becomes affordable ;-)
> >

> >>The Titus, Ellsworth, Tomac, Ibis, Salsa, Moots, Seven, Santa Cruz and Cannondale frames usually
> >>command a premium - but still quite a savings from buying new.
> >

> > It's all about brand name recognition. XTR is the most over-hyped brand on Ebay. Check out the
> > number of listings with "XTR" in the description. Pretty funny.
> >

> Personally I'd much rather buy from rec.bicycles.marketplace. The only thing I by off of Ebay are
> CDs and vinyl, and that's pretty rare.

I've bought plenty of stuff from eBay; stereo equipment, videos, books, car parts, bike parts, and
some other stuff I can't remember. Using a credit card helps - I steer clear of auctions where only
money orders or cashier's checks are acceptable. I also steer clear of folks that have done less
than 50 transactions. And the feedback had better be 98% positive or better. Both my Marzocchi forks
were purchased from eBay, and they were exactly as-described. Both have been stellar performers, and
I spent less than $300 for the both of them. Careful inspection, money-back guarantees from sellers
and lots of pictures really can separate the folks who are merely trying to off-load old, used ****
from folks who are just as honest as you and
I.

Frames are kinda tricky - the seller might not know about hidden damage. You have to be willing to
eat the price of whatever you are buying. Sorta comes with the territory. :)

Caveat emptor,
--
Jonesy

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > I've bought and sold quite a bit of electronics (computer, audio, and computer-audio) on eBay
> > with good results. I sold a broken MD recorder
for
> > $60 which I found pretty amazing - it turned into a crazy bidding war
and
> > don't thing people read the ad that explained the recorders probelems. I also bought a newer
> > working MD recorder for $40.
>

> I've got two Mekons shows coming up and I maybe looking for a cheap recorder.

My advice: Don't buy any miniature MiniDisc recorder without a warranty. The larger portables (Sony
R-30, R-37, R-50) were quite reliable because of their much stronger internal components. They were
built for real portable use, and are now coveted for their reliability and great sound quality
(deeper bass response)

The R-70, R-90 form factor miniature (size of MD jacket) portables are far less reliable due to
reduction in the strength of key mechanical components. Namely, the long, thin metal armature that
aligns the magnetic erase head on the jacked-sized miniature Sony portables is so flimsy that is is
shocking. Once the erase head becomes misaligned with the laser head, the recorder is toast (though
it will still play MD's).

I've owned portable MD recorders from Sharp, Aiwa and Sony. The only one that was reliable was the
Sony R-30. I sold it to "upgrade" to a Sony R-70, and regretted it. The R-70 was a piece of ****
(see above). Buy a new (with warranty) Sony R-37 and be happy. I've heard that they're pretty
reliable, and they have mic inputs, unlike most of the new Sony portables.

Note that the Sony NetMD portables *cannot* upload recordings digitally via USB to your computer.
They can only download. Also, none of the low-end models have mic inputs. External mic preamps are
pretty expensive.

HTH

r0cK3T/\/\4|\|

On 29 Jan 2004 09:57:49 -0800, Jonesy wrote:

> Careful inspection, money-back guarantees from sellers and lots of pictures really can separate
> the folks who are merely trying to off-load old, used **** from folks who are just as honest as
> you and I.

Sounds like you sort of have to know what you're doing. I've only ordered small stuff on eBay, the
most expensive being an out of print Joe Jackson CD (Big World) that was about $14. My daughter
ordered all sorts of silly anime things when she was younger. Never had any problems getting what we
ordered, and they was always as they appeared.

The thing that always kills me about eBay is how often people will bid more than the item
costs retail.

BB wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2004 09:57:49 -0800, Jonesy wrote:
>
>> Careful inspection, money-back guarantees from sellers and lots of pictures really can separate
>> the folks who are merely trying to off-load old, used **** from folks who are just as honest as
>> you and
>> I.
>
> Sounds like you sort of have to know what you're doing. I've only ordered small stuff on eBay, the
> most expensive being an out of print Joe Jackson CD (Big World) that was about $14. My daughter
> ordered all sorts of silly anime things when she was younger. Never had any problems getting what
> we ordered, and they was always as they appeared.

Hmmm... I LOVE that album. I had it on tape back in high school. I may have to go and track it down
now that you've mentioned it. I also love that it was just a single take live recording. Damn that
band was tight. Off to eBay for me...

> The thing that always kills me about eBay is how often people will bid more than the item
> costs retail.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it? I always open that second browser window with some place like
PriceGrabber or PriceWatch to make sure I'm not going to be one of those idiots. It does make me a
happy seller though. My example of the MD recorder even had a Buy it now price of $40 and they bid
right past it!

Matt

BB wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2004 09:57:49 -0800, Jonesy wrote:
>

>>Careful inspection, money-back guarantees from sellers and lots of pictures really can separate
>>the folks who are merely trying to off-load old, used **** from folks who are just as honest as
>>you and I.
>

> Sounds like you sort of have to know what you're doing. I've only ordered small stuff on eBay, the
> most expensive being an out of print Joe Jackson CD (Big World) that was about $14. My daughter
> ordered all sorts of silly anime things when she was younger. Never had any problems getting what
> we ordered, and they was always as they appeared.
>
> The thing that always kills me about eBay is how often people will bid more than the item
> costs retail.

Yeah, I know a guy who buys collectibles, stuff like cookie jars, toys from McDonalds, movie
memorabilia, etc. There were people auctioning Tony the Tiger cookie jars or something like that
that you could still buy from Kellogs. The bidding was hitting double retail even though a simple
search would have shown that they could buy at regular retail online.

Greg

G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've got two Mekons shows coming up and I maybe looking for a cheap recorder. People on the Mekons

Mekons suck. All Mekons fans know this. Are people trading tapes like the Dead or something? That's
a little frightening.

Where in LA? I saw Sally Timms once at Spaceland, that was cool. But I don't live there anymore.

Ben

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've got two Mekons shows coming up and I maybe looking for a cheap recorder. People on the
> > Mekons mailing list provide shows in all the
other
> > US cities but no one ever tapes them here in LA.
>
> Mekons suck. All Mekons fans know this.

Yep, they're pathetic, inept, bumbling drunks.

> Are people trading tapes like the Dead or something?

Not too much, although they are up on archive.org. We just trade the inbetween song banter. You
never know when a witty new Langfordism will arrive or what nasty **** will come out of Sally's
angelic mouth.

> That's a little frightening.

Truly.

> Where in LA? I saw Sally Timms once at Spaceland, that was cool. But I don't live there anymore.

McCabes on 3/21 and the Troub on 3/22.

Greg