Got my first recumbent....WHAT A BLAST!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jay Adair, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Jay Adair

    Jay Adair Guest

    I bought a used Vision R45 from Hostel Shoppe and it arrived today, packaged very professionally and
    not the slightest damage in transit. Hostel Shoppe seems to be a very good outfit. They were very
    helpful in my quest for a bike.

    Putting together a recumbent without a manual or pictures is a bit of trial and error and just
    plain luck. But I seem to have gotten it all back together in a workable fashion, although I'm not
    sure I have all the cables routed just right. Then the moment of truth....I have never even ridden
    a recumbent before....but I stuck my foot into the peddle and eased on down the street.....WHAT A
    HUGE BLAST!

    rode for at least 30 minutes my first time on the bike (versus about 2 minutes on
    the....never mind).

    It was a bit embarrassing because I couldn't get that goofy grin off my face as I rode. Probably
    looked like a toddler with gas. This is at least 5 times more fun than my old mountain bike.

    The trigger shifters and the hydraulic brakes are cooler than anything I have ever had on a bike
    before. I can hardly wait for the sun to come up tomorrow morning....cool Texas October weather,
    clear sunny skies, and a day off from work....should be perfect.

    Jay

    P.S. - I'm 49 next week and I feel like I have wasted the last 20 years riding in the wrong
    position....

    Tags:

  2. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    I had my first ride on a bent that I just put together Feb 9th, 1999...and like you said, what a
    blast! 4.6 years later...it still is! Grinning like an idiot comes natural...you did it when you
    finally got the hang of riding two wheelers. A flashback to the past when you were a kid...but the
    recumbent is cooler! Enjoy the ride and practice figure 8's in a large parking lot to get the hang
    of steering. Just like sense, practice makes perfect. I have to go out and enjoy that cool October
    weather you are typing about...

    John H Still grinin' in N TX

  3. Pat O'Malley

    Pat O'Malley Guest

    > Congrats
    on your choice of bikes! Bents are truly wonderful. I have been riding bent for three years. When I
    ride with upright bikers I am not as evangelical about the virtues of bents as I used to be. They
    look down, actually and metaphorically, on my aerodynamic ride, and I, with what they must consider
    a dopey smile on my face, look up to them as they perch upon their choice of bike. It's amazing how
    most people just don't get it. This cool Texas weather is great, but unfortunantly it has also
    raised allergies here in Central Texas. If I still had my V2 I would lower the seat all the way
    back, put a pillow behind my head, and mount a tray on the handlebars for all the medicines, water
    glass, and kleenex. (Oh,and a copy of CyclingPlus) get into my non-lycra pajamas, throw a quilt over
    myself, and then go for a ride!

  4. Les Woolmer

    Les Woolmer New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    With you all the way Jay. I bought a StreetMachine GT about six weeks ago and the grin hasn't faded since.

    I spent a couple of weeks practising around Rotterdam where I currently live then hopped a train to the Black Forest mountains in Southern Germany. Spent a week doing around 400km along the Neckar valley. To use an American term .. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

    I am 57 in a couple of months and like you I'm pissed that I didn't discover all this fun years ago.

    I don't live too far from the office (about 1.5km) but I leave for work an hour early just so I can have a nice long ride round the city first. Same in the evening. I find myself riding every spare moment it's so addictive. If I can I get out for half hour at lunch and if it's raining I'll go for a spin aroung the underground car park.

    I've been riding a Mountain bike here for the last four years and I really liked it but it doesn't come close to the recumbent.

    Anyway good riding. I'm sure you've made the right choice.

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Pat O'Malley) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >get into my non-lycra pajamas,

    This implies that there are Lycra Pajamas available. Where? (^;

    -- R May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak
    or strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near
    or far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none
    by anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
    protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  6. Pat O'Malley

    Pat O'Malley Guest

  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi Les,

    Off topic for this thread, but can you tell me a bit about the Neckar Valley? My wife and I are
    thinking of a tandem tour there next year. Did you stay in hotels? If so, were they good, economical
    etc? Was it all on cycle paths? How hilly was it?

    Any info appreciated.

    Regards, Paul.

    Les Woolmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > With you all the way Jay. I bought a StreetMachine GT about six weeks ago and the grin hasn't
    > faded since.
    >
    > I spent a couple of weeks practising around Rotterdam where I currently live then hopped a train
    > to the Black Forest mountains in Southern Germany. Spent a week doing around 400km along the
    > Neckar valley. To use an American term .. IT WAS AWESOME!!!
    >
    > I am 57 in a couple of months and like you I'm pissed that I didn't discover all this fun
    > years ago.
    >
    > I don't live too far from the office (about 1.5km) but I leave for work an hour early just so I
    > can have a nice long ride round the city first. Same in the evening. I find myself riding every
    > spare moment it's so addictive. If I can I get out for half hour at lunch and if it's raining I'll
    > go for a spin aroung the underground car park.
    >
    > I've been riding a Mountain bike here for the last four years and I really liked it but it doesn't
    > come close to the recumbent.
    >
    > Anyway good riding. I'm sure you've made the right choice.

  8. Les Woolmer

    Les Woolmer New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003

    Hi Paul. as you say off topic for here but if you mail me through my profile I'll send more details.

    Basically going South to North is overall downhill. A drop of about 600mts over 400Kms. Most in the first 100Km. A few hills but not so steep or long but one huge hill about half way through.

    The area is beautiful but gets industrial towards the end.

    Good luck.

    Les.