Got my New Brooks B17 Today - This is REALLY Exciting!

Dear RBT,

Now THIS is a handsome piece of British craftsmanship!

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg

Those who appreciate the finer things in life know that *Product
Presentation* is so critically important. Brooks does a fine job with
the box, cardboard mount, etc. And the saddle cover - copper on black -
is just stunning. It has been suggested that I should have saved my
money on the saddle cover, and use a plastic bag from the grocery
store. I have seen bikes with grocery bags on the seats, mounted on
city bus bike racks (the rack on the front of the bus). I mount my bike
on city busses daily in my commute. It is hard to place a $ value on
the appearance of my saddle cover (to me). All I can say is, it gives
me a cheap thrill.

And it just gets better with the maintenance kit. Those who appreciate
premium stuff know what I am talking about. An example of classic
British high-end presentation, much like how they do Rolls-Royce.

Yeah, I know - my last girl friend would always say that I need
professional help. I knew that would go nowhere, so I dumped her.

- Jay

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear RBT,
>
> Now THIS is a handsome piece of British craftsmanship!
>
> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg
>
> Those who appreciate the finer things in life know that *Product
> Presentation* is so critically important. Brooks does a fine job with
> the box, cardboard mount, etc. And the saddle cover - copper on black -
> is just stunning. It has been suggested that I should have saved my
> money on the saddle cover, and use a plastic bag from the grocery
> store. I have seen bikes with grocery bags on the seats, mounted on
> city bus bike racks (the rack on the front of the bus). I mount my bike
> on city busses daily in my commute. It is hard to place a $ value on
> the appearance of my saddle cover (to me). All I can say is, it gives
> me a cheap thrill.
>
> And it just gets better with the maintenance kit. Those who appreciate
> premium stuff know what I am talking about. An example of classic
> British high-end presentation, much like how they do Rolls-Royce.
>
> Yeah, I know - my last girl friend would always say that I need
> professional help. I knew that would go nowhere, so I dumped her.
>
> - Jay

Congrats! I just ordered a Pre-aged B-17 today, my first Brooks, and am
probably going to suffer from High Anxiety all weekend waiting for it to get
here. Can't wait! :)

Dave

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg

I see you have the B17 Champion Special.
The large copper rivets and chamfered edges are a nice touch.
I bought a B17 Champion Special in Honey some time ago.
I have ridden it over 4K miles and it is very comfortable.
The color has darkened to a really nice nut brown.
I absolutely love my Brooks saddle, never had any discomfort even during
"break in" and I have never touched the adjusting nut; From what I have
read that can lead to failure of the saddle. I have not used Proofide, I
have always used neatsfoot oil from a saddlery shop, I reasoned that it
had been used on horse tack for years with great success why not try it
on the Brooks; it has worked just fine.

My first experience with a Brooks saddle was the B15 that came on my old
Raleigh Super Sport. Alas that bike was stolen from the Air Force Base
where I was stationed after the base commander inspected my room and
decided the bike belonged outside locked in the bike rack. I told him
that if I locked that bike to the rack it would be stolen within 24
hours. He insisted and said that if it was stolen the USAF would
reimburse me for the loss. I locked it to the rack, the bike was stolen
within 24 hours and the USAF reimbursed me. I saved the money and bought
two Raleigh Super Gran Prix bikes for my wife and me after I got out of
the service; nearly 30 years later we still have them both. Alas they
are now rarely used, but they are part of the growing collection....

Rich

Hope yer butt likes it. I have tried a Swift and Swallow...ti railed
one and could not get comfy, no matter what I tried...back to Rolls.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Hope yer butt likes it. I have tried a Swift and Swallow...ti railed
> one and could not get comfy, no matter what I tried...back to Rolls.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Dear RBT,
> >
> > Now THIS is a handsome piece of British craftsmanship!
> >
> > http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg
> >
> > Those who appreciate the finer things in life know that *Product
> > Presentation* is so critically important. Brooks does a fine job with
> > the box, cardboard mount, etc. And the saddle cover - copper on black -
> > is just stunning. It has been suggested that I should have saved my
> > money on the saddle cover, and use a plastic bag from the grocery
> > store. I have seen bikes with grocery bags on the seats, mounted on
> > city bus bike racks (the rack on the front of the bus). I mount my bike
> > on city busses daily in my commute. It is hard to place a $ value on
> > the appearance of my saddle cover (to me). All I can say is, it gives
> > me a cheap thrill.
> >
> > And it just gets better with the maintenance kit. Those who appreciate
> > premium stuff know what I am talking about. An example of classic
> > British high-end presentation, much like how they do Rolls-Royce.
> >
> > Yeah, I know - my last girl friend would always say that I need
> > professional help. I knew that would go nowhere, so I dumped her.
> >
> > - Jay

Let me know if you want to throw out these nasty, rough riding, old
seats that don't even have good old STEEL rails. :)

"I have tried a Swift and Swallow...ti railed
one and could not get comfy, no matter what I tried..."

Lewis.

******

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear RBT,
>
> Now THIS is a handsome piece of British craftsmanship!
>
> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg
>
> Those who appreciate the finer things in life know that *Product
> Presentation* is so critically important. Brooks does a fine job with
> the box, cardboard mount, etc. And the saddle cover - copper on black -
> is just stunning. It has been suggested that I should have saved my
> money on the saddle cover, and use a plastic bag from the grocery
> store. I have seen bikes with grocery bags on the seats, mounted on
> city bus bike racks (the rack on the front of the bus). I mount my bike
> on city busses daily in my commute. It is hard to place a $ value on
> the appearance of my saddle cover (to me). All I can say is, it gives
> me a cheap thrill.
>
> And it just gets better with the maintenance kit. Those who appreciate
> premium stuff know what I am talking about. An example of classic
> British high-end presentation, much like how they do Rolls-Royce.
>
> Yeah, I know - my last girl friend would always say that I need
> professional help. I knew that would go nowhere, so I dumped her.
>
> - Jay

I think you will enjoy riding on that B-17. I love mine and also my
Champion Flyer (B-17 with springs).

Smokey

Hey Smokey,

You are right, I have ridden ~ 20 miles so far. I have not put any
treatment on it. I imagine I will eventually apply the Proofide. First,
I need to know how I feel after ~ 100 miles.

I have not read the Proofide instructions yet.

- Jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Hey Smokey,
>
> You are right, I have ridden ~ 20 miles so far. I have not put any
> treatment on it. I imagine I will eventually apply the Proofide. First,
> I need to know how I feel after ~ 100 miles.
>
> I have not read the Proofide instructions yet.
>
> - Jay
>
> Smokey wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > (snip)
> >
> > I think you will enjoy riding on that B-17. I love mine and also my
> > Champion Flyer (B-17 with springs).
> >
> > Smokey

The main thing to remember with Proofhide is to not overdo it. A little
dab goes a long way. Start with a small blob about as big as your
thumbnail. Rub it in well, then polish the seat with a rag. It's a good
idea to put it on the underside of the saddle as well, especially if
you're going to ride without fenders. You can be a little more generous
here and you don't have to polish it afterwards, just rub it in. Glad
you're enjoying the saddle so far.

Smokey

OK,

I am about to apply the Proofide to the underside of the saddle (only).
That way I can ride right away.

- Jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Hope yer butt likes it. I have tried a Swift and Swallow...ti railed
> > one and could not get comfy, no matter what I tried...back to Rolls.
> >
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Dear RBT,
> > >
> > > Now THIS is a handsome piece of British craftsmanship!
> > >
> > > http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg
> > >
> > > Those who appreciate the finer things in life know that *Product
> > > Presentation* is so critically important. Brooks does a fine job with
> > > the box, cardboard mount, etc. And the saddle cover - copper on black -
> > > is just stunning. It has been suggested that I should have saved my
> > > money on the saddle cover, and use a plastic bag from the grocery
> > > store. I have seen bikes with grocery bags on the seats, mounted on
> > > city bus bike racks (the rack on the front of the bus). I mount my bike
> > > on city busses daily in my commute. It is hard to place a $ value on
> > > the appearance of my saddle cover (to me). All I can say is, it gives
> > > me a cheap thrill.
> > >
> > > And it just gets better with the maintenance kit. Those who appreciate
> > > premium stuff know what I am talking about. An example of classic
> > > British high-end presentation, much like how they do Rolls-Royce.
> > >
> > > Yeah, I know - my last girl friend would always say that I need
> > > professional help. I knew that would go nowhere, so I dumped her.
> > >
> > > - Jay

> Let me know if you want to throw out these nasty, rough riding, old
> seats that don't even have good old STEEL rails. :)

If nothing else, they were really easy to sell...long gone. Altho I do
love how they look, and the Swallow looked tremendous on my Molteni
MXLeader, if I couldn't use it.....

> "I have tried a Swift and Swallow...ti railed
> one and could not get comfy, no matter what I tried..."
>
> Lewis.
>
> ******

Hi Dave,

Delivery was pretty fast, and I paid by check, so they might have
waited for the check to clear.

As I wrote earlier, the saddle is presented beautifully. Nice box -
much like a shoe box from http://www.neimanmarcus.com/ .

I don't know what is going on with the Pre-aged saddles. Does Brooks do
the aging?

> (snip)

- Jay

Dave wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Dear RBT,

> Congrats! I just ordered a Pre-aged B-17 today, my first Brooks, and am
> probably going to suffer from High Anxiety all weekend waiting for it to get
> here. Can't wait! :)
>
> Dave

Hi Rich,

On my first ride, it definitely felt harder than my OEM piece of junk -
this it of course to be expected.

Regarding the copper rivets, one thing I like is the copper color is
the same color as the writing on the saddle cover, on a black
background. A small detail perhaps, but it is the kind of thing that I
notice; I headed up marketing for Sears (when the Marketing Group was
still in the Sears Tower) in a previous life. I resigned when Wal-Mart
started to eat our lunch.

I bought the little tin of Proofide, even though it is obviously more $
than neatsfoot oil, because I like spending as much $ as quickly as
possible. My motto is, the last check you write should be to the
undertaker, and it should bounce.

- Jay

Richard B wrote:
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg

> I see you have the B17 Champion Special.
> The large copper rivets and chamfered edges are a nice touch.
> I bought a B17 Champion Special in Honey some time ago.
> I have ridden it over 4K miles and it is very comfortable.
> The color has darkened to a really nice nut brown.
> I absolutely love my Brooks saddle, never had any discomfort even during
> "break in" and I have never touched the adjusting nut; From what I have
> read that can lead to failure of the saddle. I have not used Proofide, I
> have always used neatsfoot oil from a saddlery shop, I reasoned that it
> had been used on horse tack for years with great success why not try it
> on the Brooks; it has worked just fine.
>
> My first experience with a Brooks saddle was the B15 that came on my old
> Raleigh Super Sport. Alas that bike was stolen from the Air Force Base
> where I was stationed after the base commander inspected my room and
> decided the bike belonged outside locked in the bike rack. I told him
> that if I locked that bike to the rack it would be stolen within 24
> hours. He insisted and said that if it was stolen the USAF would
> reimburse me for the loss. I locked it to the rack, the bike was stolen
> within 24 hours and the USAF reimbursed me. I saved the money and bought
> two Raleigh Super Gran Prix bikes for my wife and me after I got out of
> the service; nearly 30 years later we still have them both. Alas they
> are now rarely used, but they are part of the growing collection....
>
> Rich

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Delivery was pretty fast, and I paid by check, so they might have
> waited for the check to clear.
>
> As I wrote earlier, the saddle is presented beautifully. Nice box -
> much like a shoe box from http://www.neimanmarcus.com/ .
>
> I don't know what is going on with the Pre-aged saddles. Does Brooks
> do the aging?
>
>> (snip)

> - Jay
>
> Dave wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Dear RBT,

>> Congrats! I just ordered a Pre-aged B-17 today, my first Brooks, and
>> am probably going to suffer from High Anxiety all weekend waiting for
>> it to get here. Can't wait! :)
>>
>> Dave

This is beginning to remind me of the opening scenes of the Kathleen Turner
V. I. Warshawski movie...

Hi W,

I think I missed that one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.I._Warshawski
.. It does look interesting, though.

- Jay

wvantwiller wrote:
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Delivery was pretty fast, and I paid by check, so they might have
> > waited for the check to clear.
> >
> > As I wrote earlier, the saddle is presented beautifully. Nice box -
> > much like a shoe box from http://www.neimanmarcus.com/ .
> >
> > I don't know what is going on with the Pre-aged saddles. Does Brooks
> > do the aging?
> >
> >> (snip)

> > - Jay
> >
> > Dave wrote:
> >
> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Congrats! I just ordered a Pre-aged B-17 today, my first Brooks, and
> >> am probably going to suffer from High Anxiety all weekend waiting for
> >> it to get here. Can't wait! :)
> >>
> >> Dave

> This is beginning to remind me of the opening scenes of the Kathleen Turner
> V. I. Warshawski movie...

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi W,
>
> I think I missed that one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.I._Warshawski
> . It does look interesting, though.
>
> - Jay
>
> wvantwiller wrote:
>> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > Delivery was pretty fast, and I paid by check, so they might have
>> > waited for the check to clear.
>> >
>> > As I wrote earlier, the saddle is presented beautifully. Nice box -
>> > much like a shoe box from http://www.neimanmarcus.com/ .
>> >
>> > I don't know what is going on with the Pre-aged saddles. Does
>> > Brooks do the aging?

>> > - Jay

>> This is beginning to remind me of the opening scenes of the Kathleen
>> Turner V. I. Warshawski movie...

The movie opens up with women in conversation at a real blue-collar bar,
and when you finally get to see what they're obsessing over it turns out
to be a pair of shoes Kathleen Turner recently bought.

If you think copper on black looks good, you should see it on the aged
brown or the honey (especially after IT'S been aged somewhat. The subtle
color shadings give it an image of class NO "techie plastic" can hope to
match.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

none of your business wrote:
> If you think copper on black looks good, you should see it on the aged
> brown or the honey (especially after IT'S been aged somewhat. The subtle
> color shadings give it an image of class NO "techie plastic" can hope to
> match.
>
> - -
> Comments and opinions compliments of,
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> My web Site:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner
>
> To E-mail me:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Dear Chris,

Alas, the "image of class" is mostly in the mind of the owner. Nothing
wrong with that, but it's a bit like talking about the gorgeous
patterns on the sole of a running shoe.

After all, it's hard for anyone else to appreciate the subtle color
shadings of a leather bicycle saddle that's actually being used, since
the rider's hindquarters pretty much smother it.

Of course, if you stand up and pedal, then the glory may become
fleetingly visible to people who stare at saddles.

Or you could leave the bike parked in a prominent place.

Or write odes to it on RBT. :)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Hi Chris,

I really wanted an all-black bike, like the F-117
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V35B268CD . But the custom paint would
have cost me $ extra. So I had to settle for 'flag red'
http://www.bikefriday.com/usedbike99view.cfm?id=698 . I was able to
remove all that obnoxious advertising with platen cleaner. And that
guard by the front sproket is red on my bike. I don't know why BF
thinks red is a good color for a bike. I guess they just want to
attract attention, which does happen.

- Jay

none of your business wrote:
> If you think copper on black looks good, you should see it on the aged
> brown or the honey (especially after IT'S been aged somewhat. The subtle
> color shadings give it an image of class NO "techie plastic" can hope to
> match.
>
> - -
> Comments and opinions compliments of,
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> My web Site:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner
>
> To E-mail me:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Hi Carl,

....or one could take pictures of the bike, and put them on a website...

- Jay

[email protected] wrote:
> none of your business wrote:
> > If you think copper on black looks good, you should see it on the aged
> > brown or the honey
> > (snip)
> >
> > To E-mail me:
> > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

> Dear Chris,
>
> Alas, the "image of class" is mostly in the mind of the owner. Nothing
> wrong with that, but it's a bit like talking about the gorgeous
> patterns on the sole of a running shoe.
>
> After all, it's hard for anyone else to appreciate the subtle color
> shadings of a leather bicycle saddle that's actually being used, since
> the rider's hindquarters pretty much smother it.
>
> Of course, if you stand up and pedal, then the glory may become
> fleetingly visible to people who stare at saddles.
>
> Or you could leave the bike parked in a prominent place.
>
> Or write odes to it on RBT. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

On 17 Sep 2006 02:00:54 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi Carl,
>
>...or one could take pictures of the bike, and put them on a website...
>
>- Jay
>
>[email protected] wrote:
>> none of your business wrote:
>> > If you think copper on black looks good, you should see it on the aged
>> > brown or the honey
>> > (snip)
>> >
>> > To E-mail me:
>> > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

>> Dear Chris,
>>
>> Alas, the "image of class" is mostly in the mind of the owner. Nothing
>> wrong with that, but it's a bit like talking about the gorgeous
>> patterns on the sole of a running shoe.
>>
>> After all, it's hard for anyone else to appreciate the subtle color
>> shadings of a leather bicycle saddle that's actually being used, since
>> the rider's hindquarters pretty much smother it.
>>
>> Of course, if you stand up and pedal, then the glory may become
>> fleetingly visible to people who stare at saddles.
>>
>> Or you could leave the bike parked in a prominent place.
>>
>> Or write odes to it on RBT. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

Dear Jay,

Those of us with a decent respect for the opinions of mankind take
care to hide as much of the seat as possible in our web pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/047_spot_the_goathead.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/020_dock_goatheads.jpg

Cheers,

T. Jefferson