Got My New Mountain Bike!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by DIRTBLASTER, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DIRTBLASTER

DIRTBLASTER New Member

Yep I got it. It's a 26" Schwinn men's Aluminum comp. Don't laugh at or insult me because I know what I'm doing but I got the bike at Wal-Mart:eek: It has very good quality part on it: "RST OMNI CL" front fork, "SRAM MRX Pro" grip shifts(very smooth), "Radius" brake levers a V-brakes,"MTB Raptor" tires, stainless-steel spokes and A very good "SHIMONO" Front and Rear derailleur "I can't remember the model number right know because my bike's in storage for the winter":(

Don't Worry I'm going to bring it to a good bike shop before I start riding it, I don't trust Wal-Mart staff with putting it together.

I'll go get my bike out of storage and pics up Later:D

Tags:

2. cheapie

cheapie New Member

If you like it...it's a good bike. While I certainly have expensive tastes, I encourage everyone to buy what they can afford and just get out and ride.

So...congrats! :D

3. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

yeah, everyone has to start somewhere...

although i would rather cut off both my testicles with a blunt, rusty instrument rather than buy a bike from Walmart, Schwinn tend to make decent bikes, so get it checked by a reputable bike mechanic and it should be okay..

4. DIRTBLASTER

DIRTBLASTER New Member

I forgot to mention that it's a hard tail, I wanted the speed of a hardtail as to a full suspension bike. I plan on entering some amature competitions this summer.

^hahaha Is that true, you'd rather do that than have a relatively good quality mountain bike just because it's from Wal-Mart

5. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

unfortunately, the stigma of having no wedding tackle is easier to deal with than having to admit to your friends that you bought a bike from Walmart.

6. cheapie

cheapie New Member

:cool: heh heh. true.

7. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

So true. Recently I tried to get one of my friends to buy a bike so we could both go cycling. I shuddered when I learned he had bought a $200 mountain bike from Wal-Mart, assembly required.

8. cheapie

cheapie New Member

DIRTBLASTER, lest you think we are all bike snobs, which is likely true, consider that many of us started out on cheap bikes. well...not the europeans because biking is in their blood and they knew better. :p

anyhow...many of us have progressively gotten better bikes as our skill level increased and/or our budget increased.

we have noticed that the outragious prices prices we pay for bikes, while not entirely justified (esp for my new baby....my sub 24lb ellsworth truth decked out with xtr and sram x.o :D), there is a marked difference between what we started riding on and what we have chosen with the benefit of years of biking experience.

so...be happy with your purchase. ride as much as you can. but don't be afraid so try other bikes when your friends/local shops offer and think about what you do like, and what you don't like in your current ride. as your level of riding/competing increases, so will the gains you will get from getting a lighter/better handling bike. you would be amazed at the difference in climbing between a 33lb and 24lb bike, esp when a lot of the weight is in your wheelset.

also my fellow biking pimps, don't discourage him by cracking on his choice too much. while i may not ever buy a bike from a retail outlet like wal-mart, i would hate to chase away another potential bike junky because i was too snobby about his choice of a wheeled-steed.

if he gets the bug that many of us have, he'll soon be drooling over the same titanium/carbon beauties that occupy our thoughts and dreams. :)

9. DIRTBLASTER

DIRTBLASTER New Member

Hey I'm not goin anywhere I used to do BMX dirt jumping like crazy(On a Mongoose from target:D )wich is very light weight,I love the mongoose when I get off the jumps it's like theirs nothing under me.

And believe be I dream about way more expensive bikes than mine.

P.S.I plan on upgrading the handle bars, pedals and brake pads. The brakes pads on it their do fine but I want something that work better in wet conditions.

L8T3R

10. mongooseboy

mongooseboy New Member

I had my first real mountain bike from walmart, a Mongoose A50-R, one of the first mongoose bikes sold at walmart. shifters and derailleurs sucked, but the frame is STILL rockin hard! if i had to guess this frame has probbly 4-5k miles on it, half off road. by the way im over 200 pounds ;)

of course i spent 500 dollars 5 years ago and upgraded the whole bike to LX parts...now i have a different frame (supergo access) and my mongoose has cheaper parts on, but still a great bike.

so maybe someday youll need new shifters/derailleurs but if your frame is decent, it will work for you!

just get out, and have fun on it. and do have somone who knows what they are doing check it out. i bought mine in the box because i didnt want walmart kids to have messed it up ;)

11. meehs

meehs New Member

I won't beat up the OP for his choice of bike but I concur with MountainPro. However rather than cutting off my junk with a blunt, rusty instrument, I would (for the sake of variety) subject myself to having my jewels gnawed off by a rabid gerbil as opposed to riding such a thing.

12. DIRTBLASTER

DIRTBLASTER New Member

Ok I got some pics of the bike up now:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Well, it has a computer, that's a plus.

14. mtbnewbie

mtbnewbie New Member

Good onya mate!!

I got my MTB from Canadian Tire last spring. Just got into riding last year, it had been years since I had done any riding of any sort, and even then it had just been casual riding around.

Last year I managed to do 1200 km by the end of the year. Even did a 50 km charity ride in October. Rode the bike 25 km to the charity ride did the 50 km loop then rode 25 km back home. 100 km for the day, I was wipped.

This October I plan on doing the 100 km loop and the ride there and back plus a bit more to make 160 km or 100 miles for the day.

The most important thing in buying a bike is to get something that you are going to enjoy riding. Wether that means getting a $200 K-Mart special or a $5000 + carbon beauty it really doesn't matter as long as you get on it, ride it and enjoy doing it.

15. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Pretty cool looking ride. Is that a rapid-fire shifter I saw in the handlebar shot?

16. fishstix

fishstix New Member

Hey I have the same computer on my Cannondale r600 :rolleyes:. I really like it and for the price how can one go wrong. I also had one on my C'dale F600 till I sold it. But I had to go wireless with my new lefty.:D. Last year at this time I was hanging up my schwinn to get my F600. once I was hooked on biking via the schwinn. I decided to put some money into the sport. Also ebay is a great place for bikes look up Cannondale f400 you can get them for around $450 and they will last you a while.

17. dougadam

dougadam Member

I ride a schwinn and I love it. But I bought mine at a bike shop.

18. fishstix

fishstix New Member

I bought mine at a bike shop too. but it is no more than a trek 820 with the schwinn name. Good to start out with.

19. tyler1212

tyler1212 New Member

Not a bad bike at all. I got my entry level mongoose about nine years ago before walmart started selling them. Although only the frame, handlebars, and shiftlevers are original now, there is still a stigma of seeing these bikes at walmart, but don't worry chap, it all about how you ride it. And that means alot more than what brand it is.