Got new pedals!

Mark Heiple

Guest
I finally got new pedals (speedplay zero) and so far I like them.

The double sided entry is really nice. No flipping the pedal over with your toe. I think I have an
easier time finding the correct spot to step down on than with the SPDs, but the springs are still
kind of stiff, so clicking in is not real easy yet. The LBS tells me that they will loosen up a bit
with use. No problems getting out.

My left foot clicks in easier than my right, and I think that is due to my right foot pointing out.
It seems like I have to twist my foot so it is pointing straight ahead and step down before it will
click in. My left will instantly click in when I step down sometimes.

I have the float somewhat limited right now, enough to compensate for my right foot. I haven't
experienced any of the 'walking on ice' feeling -- seems very natural. I feel much more solid than
with the SPD - my feet are really locked in. No concerns about pulling out!

I've only done 1 ride with them so far, so with practice I expect to get more comfortable with them.
A big improvement over the SPDs.

Walkability is worse than SPD since I don't have the recessed cleat anymore, but it isn't as bad as
I feared it would be. Shoe choice appears to make a huge difference. I looked at Shimano,
Specialized, and Sidi. With Shimano and Specialized, my toes were pointing up when walking, even
with no cleat. Putting the cleat on would be even worse. The Sidi sole is shaped different. With no
cleat, the toe was pointing down instead of up, like it had a much taller heel. I went with Sidi,
and even with the big speedplay cleat, it isn't too bad. I got the cleat covers, and with those I
don't have to worry about slipping on the slick cleats. Wouldn't want to walk real far though.

My only gripe with the pedals is if you don't get clicked in and try to pedal, your foot will slip
right off. I had a couple aborted starts when I had to stop at intersections while heading up a
hill. I kept my right foot clipped in when I stopped and put my left down, since I have an easer
time clipping in the left foot. When starting, I had to pedal a little harder to get up the hill,
and my left foot slipped off the pedal when it didn't click in.

I expect that with more practice, the retension spring will loosen up and make clicking in
easier, and I will get more proficient with doing it correctly. So hopefully this one nit will
disappear soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mark-<< I finally got new pedals (speedplay zero) and so far I like them.
>><BR><BR>

I like mine also-

mark-<< I think I have an easier time finding the correct spot to step down on than with the SPDs,
but the springs are still kind of stiff, so clicking in is not real easy yet. >><BR><BR>

Spray them with Pam, Armor-All or Pledge-be careful when ya walk tho-slippery!!

Mark-<< I haven't experienced any of the 'walking on ice' feeling -- seems very natural. >><BR><BR>

Zeros don't have that 'ice' thing...

Mark- << I went with Sidi, and even with the big speedplay cleat, it isn't too bad. >><BR><BR>

Did you/they use the SIDI specific shim that came with the cleats??

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

> Mark- << I went with Sidi, and even with the big speedplay cleat, it isn't too bad. >><BR><BR>
>

> Did you/they use the SIDI specific shim that came with the cleats??

Yes - quite a few layers in there. There is a Sidi Look adapter base plate in the cavity -> Sidi
shim -> zero base plate -> cleat (spring housing + bottom plate)