Got out on the bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. The chest still hurts & I'm still coughing but I would go crazy if I didn't get out today!

    CCBreckland had another 4-up training + tea & cakes, so the entire Unfit Family Simmons went over.
    For me, it was the first time on the bike in a fortnight :(

    Vernon, resplendent in his Lycra - except when he stuffs his jersey pockets on his rear with various
    odds & ends and he takes on a new name of "Old Baboon Bottom" ;-) Nathan even joined in with the
    cycling. Vernon & Nathan did the whole circuit but moi... eh, no. Not today. I probably did little
    more than a mile and I was coughing my lungs up so I thought it advisable to stop whilst I could
    still breathe :) At least I got out, even if only for a little while. If tomorrow is a pleasant day,
    I'll give it another go - but again, just a little bit, I want to recover not kill myself!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The chest still hurts & I'm still coughing but I would go crazy if I didn't get out today!
    >
    >CCBreckland had another 4-up training + tea & cakes, so the entire Unfit Family Simmons went over.
    >For me, it was the first time on the bike in a fortnight :(
    >
    >Vernon, resplendent in his Lycra - except when he stuffs his jersey pockets on his rear with
    >various odds & ends and he takes on a new name of "Old Baboon Bottom" ;-)

    Someone once sent me a postcard someone with a picture of one of those big apes with the
    multi-coloured faces. The caption said, 'If you think this is something, wait till you see my arse.'

    Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.

    Glad you enjoyed the ride, even if it was truncated.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  3. >Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.

    >Glad you enjoyed the ride, even if it was truncated.

    Didn't I shall have to listen to it via the Net.

    Oh! Forgot - first time out on my new saddle - Terry's Liberator TiLite complete with fart hole.
    Exceedingly comfortable so far.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > >Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.
    > >
    > >Glad you enjoyed the ride, even if it was truncated.
    >
    > Didn't I shall have to listen to it via the Net.
    >
    > Oh! Forgot - first time out on my new saddle - Terry's Liberator TiLite complete with fart hole.
    > Exceedingly comfortable so far.

    Is it a fart hole or a spaghetti measurer?

    cheers, clive

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Clive George <[email protected]> writes
    >"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> >Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.
    >> >
    >> >Glad you enjoyed the ride, even if it was truncated.
    >>
    >> Didn't I shall have to listen to it via the Net.
    >>
    >> Oh! Forgot - first time out on my new saddle - Terry's Liberator TiLite complete with fart hole.
    >> Exceedingly comfortable so far.
    >
    >Is it a fart hole or a spaghetti measurer?

    Ah, I know that feeling. Have you been overdoing the curry?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.

    Yes it was a good'un especially the part where "I'm Charlotte Green" broke down in a fit of giggles
    trying to read a newspaper cutting

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.
    >>

    >Yes it was a good'un especially the part where "I'm Charlotte Green" broke down in a fit of giggles
    >trying to read a newspaper cutting
    >
    >Tony

    Wasn't that fantastic? I think what got her going was Sandy Toksvig's 'innocent' question as to
    'whether there was that much difference between the erect and resting penis?' And whether anyone
    would actually go into a shop and, knowing that condoms came in large, regular or trim sizes, ask
    for trim? This had resonance for me. A few years ago the face of the child at the Boots checkout
    made it clear that she wondered what business an old fart like me could possibly have with the pack
    of 12 for the weekend nestling in my basket. As she peered at them, I said, 'these _are_ the large
    size, aren't they?' Her reaction was worth the tight lips (ooerr, missus) on the matron behind me.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  8. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Vernon, resplendent in his Lycra - except when he stuffs his jersey pockets on his rear with
    >various odds & ends and he takes on a new name of "Old Baboon Bottom" ;-) Nathan even joined in
    >with the cycling. Vernon & Nathan did the whole circuit but moi... eh, no. Not today. I probably
    >did little more than a mile and I was coughing my lungs up so I thought it advisable to stop
    >whilst I could still breathe :) At least I got out, even if only for a little while. If tomorrow
    >is a pleasant day, I'll give it another go - but again, just a little bit, I want to recover not
    >kill myself!
    At last, a fellow 'puffer and cougher'. I was beginning to think I was the only one who suffered
    after such a short distance - I don't feel so bad now. I can't match Vernon's 'spray-on rear' for
    visual delight (I find baggies better at camouflaging my barrage balloon-like proportions) though my
    new hi-viz bright orange/yellow fleece, a bargain on e-bay at a fiver, frightens wildlife and old
    ladies. It's either that or my lime green hat with little aliens on - no one misses me when I'm on
    my bike or rather I try to make sure they all do! At the present rate of progress I'll still be
    breaking in my new Brooks Flyer when I'm 90 - just the thought of it makes my conkers twinge....
    there must be an easier way. Ho hum, time for another slice of choccy sponge pud!
    --
    DP

  9. In article <[email protected]>, David Pipes
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
    >>Wasn't that fantastic? I think what got her going was Sandy Toksvig's 'innocent' question as to
    >>'whether there was that much difference between the erect and resting penis?' And whether anyone
    >>would actually go into a shop and, knowing that condoms came in large, regular or trim sizes, ask
    >>for trim? This had resonance for me. A few years ago the face of the child at the Boots checkout
    >>made it clear that she wondered what business an old fart like me could possibly have with the
    >>pack of 12 for the weekend nestling in my basket. As she peered at them, I said, 'these _are_ the
    >>large size, aren't they?' Her reaction was worth the tight lips (ooerr, missus) on the matron
    >>behind me.
    >During World War 2, British Soldiers discovered that placing a condom over the end of their gun
    >barrels kept them dry and clean but no condoms existed for larger weapons and a suggestion was sent
    >to Churchill to have some 18" long condoms made to cover larger gun barrels. Churchill agreed
    >provided: they were clearly marked "For British Serviceman Use Only" they were also marked "Small"

    :)
    --
    The Big Baguette

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 20:31:59 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >During World War 2, British Soldiers discovered that placing a condom over the end of their gun
    >barrels kept them dry and clean but no condoms existed for larger weapons and a suggestion was sent
    >to Churchill to have some 18" long condoms made to cover larger gun barrels. Churchill agreed
    >provided: they were clearly marked "For British Serviceman Use Only" they were also marked "Small"

    Ah, the old ones are best, aren't they? :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
    >Wasn't that fantastic? I think what got her going was Sandy Toksvig's 'innocent' question as to
    >'whether there was that much difference between the erect and resting penis?' And whether anyone
    >would actually go into a shop and, knowing that condoms came in large, regular or trim sizes, ask
    >for trim? This had resonance for me. A few years ago the face of the child at the Boots checkout
    >made it clear that she wondered what business an old fart like me could possibly have with the pack
    >of 12 for the weekend nestling in my basket. As she peered at them, I said, 'these _are_ the large
    >size, aren't they?' Her reaction was worth the tight lips (ooerr, missus) on the matron behind me.
    During World War 2, British Soldiers discovered that placing a condom over the end of their gun
    barrels kept them dry and clean but no condoms existed for larger weapons and a suggestion was sent
    to Churchill to have some 18" long condoms made to cover larger gun barrels. Churchill agreed
    provided: they were clearly marked "For British Serviceman Use Only" they were also marked "Small"
    --
    DP

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > >Anyone hear this week's News Quiz? I thought it was the best for years.
    > >
    > >Glad you enjoyed the ride, even if it was truncated.
    >
    > Didn't I shall have to listen to it via the Net.
    >
    > Oh! Forgot - first time out on my new saddle - Terry's Liberator Tite complete with fart hole.

    Is Tite the equivalent of trim???????

    :)

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Yes it was a good'un especially the part where "I'm Charlotte Green"
    broke
    > down in a fit of giggles trying to read a newspaper cutting

    The wonders of live recording!!! Brilliant.

    Worrying that 'cyclist' and 'Radio 4 listerner' seem congruent.

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Pipes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Churchill agreed provided: they were clearly marked "For British Serviceman Use Only" they were
    > also marked "Small"

    British propaganda always did have the benefit of subtlety and wit :)

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > Ah, the old ones are best, aren't they? :)

    No -- they get all crispy and fall apart when you try to put them on.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

    >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Ah, the old ones are best, aren't they? :)
    >
    >No -- they get all crispy and fall apart when you try to put them on.

    That was brilliant. I'm so glad I didn't have a mouthful of assam when I read that.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> Yes it was a good'un especially the part where "I'm Charlotte Green"
    >broke
    >> down in a fit of giggles trying to read a newspaper cutting
    >
    >The wonders of live recording!!! Brilliant.
    >
    >Worrying that 'cyclist' and 'Radio 4 listerner' seem congruent.

    Have you located Radio 7 on your pc yet?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Worrying that 'cyclist' and 'Radio 4 listerner' seem congruent.

    People of discernement?

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have you located Radio 7 on your pc yet?

    Pity BBC insists on Real Audio streaming that doesn't allow you to download a file for later
    listening plus R7 doesn't yet provide for time shifted listening in the same way as R4. Have to go
    through the faff of streaming realtime while capturing into mp3 for later listening.

    Tony
    --

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  20. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Have you located Radio 7 on your pc yet?
    >
    >Pity BBC insists on Real Audio streaming that doesn't allow you to download a file for later
    >listening plus R7 doesn't yet provide for time shifted listening in the same way as R4. Have to go
    >through the faff of streaming realtime while capturing into mp3 for later listening.

    That's the big drawback, agreed -- yesterday I listened to a bunch of Radio 3 and 4, _none_ of it at
    the actual broadcast time. I expect they'll get there on 7 eventually.
    --
    The Big Baguette